Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #176
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Ki, Chi, and "Energy"

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
I stand my opinion that Ki is part of the spectrum of energy that's flowing thru the Universe...
Gene -

Ok, I'll accept your assertion at face value. Ki is a part of the energy spectrum pervading all the universe. That does raise a few of questions though:

Where in the spectrum does Ki lie?
What is the wave length of Ki?
What is the exchange particle responsible for the transmission of Ki energy?
What theory of physics predicts the existence of Ki energy or the Ki particle?
Lacking answers to the above questions can you propose possible experiments that can be conducted in a lab that would lead to the formulation of a theory explaining Ki energy in terms of physical law?

I asked you about this in another thread but you must have not seen the post, so here it is again. Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not trying to say you are incorrect. If, however, you're going to postulate a form of energy not currently recognized or predicted by modern physical theory you should be prepared to address fundamental questions regarding the characteristics of that energy.

Ron
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #177
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Gene -

Ok, I'll accept your assertion at face value. Ki is a part of the energy spectrum pervading all the universe. That does raise a few of questions though:

Lacking answers to the above questions can you propose possible experiments that can be conducted in a lab that would lead to the formulation of a theory explaining Ki energy in terms of physical law?

I asked you about this in another thread but you must have not seen the post, so here it is again. Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not trying to say you are incorrect. If, however, you're going to postulate a form of energy not currently recognized or predicted by modern physical theory you should be prepared to address fundamental questions regarding the characteristics of that energy.

Ron
Well, I'm not Gene, obviously, but I do believe that these things are being discussed with relative sound science in Quantum Physics. I'm not saying I have the answer. I am saying they are worth keeping an mind open to as science begins to develop a language for their general consumption.

I found this link on the web and I believe it may offer information related to some of these concepts. http://www.scribd.com/doc/4972662/So...tion-Awakening

I'm going to check it out more deeply as it seems curious enough for me.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #178
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Hi Ron:

My own thinking is that detailed scientific questions about the physics of ki beg the question. Regardless of how one explains aiki, the key question to my mind is: can one manifest this power? Can one do the ki tests that Ueshiba and Shioda and Tohei could do? The jo "trick," or instantly reversing a shove to the shoulders, as in the 1935 Asahi demo, or being unliftable, or a number of other feats documented on video/film. I happen to think that Rob, Mike S and the rest of the Ki Club, to use Kevin L's term, have a workable, testable framework for explaining and teaching ki. But in the end, doesn't it come down to what one can or cannot do--or if one is still struggling with it, then what one's teachers can or cannot do? Science is science because it provides among other things a forum for falsifiability--a way to check assertions empirically and in a reproducible fashion. If one says, ki is x, one should be able to follow up with, i know this because of y and z empirical experiences, not just to assert that for instance, "Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

best,

R

Last edited by raul rodrigo : 01-01-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #179
jennifer paige smith

United_States

If light is made of particles..........

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #180
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Gene -

Ok, I'll accept your assertion at face value. Ki is a part of the energy spectrum pervading all the universe. That does raise a few of questions though:Ron
I appreciate where you're coming from with this line of questioning and couldn't tell you where on the spectrum nor what the wavelength is anymore than where any other form of energy is, but that's not my field of vocation.
Also, afa I understand it, alot of the energies and phenomenon in the Universe is proved only by mathmatical calculation, which formula I don't have either, but there's plenty of examples of it's existance, like the spark of energy that causes a newborn to live and breathe or a seed to burst open into a plant, etc.
God is the Creator of all energies in the Universe and while I can't prove His existance in a lab, I still believe.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #181
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
My own thinking is that detailed scientific questions about the physics of ki beg the question. Regardless of how one explains aiki, the key question to my mind is: can one manifest this power? best,R
The short answer is no, as by definition, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred. So, to me, Aiki is transferring this energy from the surrounding air, into your body and out thru your action.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #182
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Then let me make the question more precise. Can you or your teachers manifest ki in the standard ki tests that Ueshiba did?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #183
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Do symbol Re: Ki, Chi, and "Energy"

Quote:
Gene -

I'm going to take up the issue for Gene because the premise of the question ( and Gene's belief) illustrate the misperception of the concept

Quote:
Ki is the oscillation forming every wavelength of the spectrum.
Quote:
Any of them, because Ki is the wave oscillation, itself.
Quote:
Every wave/particle possesses Ki which is its oscillation. Even the background vacuum oscillates from zero to +1/-1, constantly.
Quote:
All three -- classical, relativistic and quantum mechanics, are predictive of angular momentum as a fundamental quantity relating what we distinguish as mass and energy.

All "energy" is carried in quanta of wave/particles, but even massless energy, such as light, has a non-zero angular momentum defined by its oscillation, alone. Momentum is independent of mass.

Even seemingly at-rest matter with "zero" velocity has momentum called inertial moment. This is the "resistance" of "non-moving" matter shown in Newton's first and third laws of motion. Inertial moment is simply the sum of the oscillations of the mass (and massless) wave/particles within it. In the same exact way that a gyroscope resists motion of its axis because of its periodic motion, the randomly oriented and incessant oscillations of the wave/particles comprising the mass resist any motion, in any direction.

Reduce the the oscillations substantially (cool it) and the inertia of the mass can changes radically in certain ways, as seen in the superfluidity of liquid helium, or BEC states of matter, and more commonly in the simple changes of physical state from gas to liquid to solid.

Align and match the phase of all those oscillations of matter that has loosely bound electrons and you get an electromagnetic field, which being nonrandom, shows the cumulative positive and negative poles of the oscillations which are now coordinated.

Seen in this perspective, (although this is speculation on my part), gravity may simply be the "opposite pole" pairing the inertia created by mass oscillation. If you posit forces, vice oscillation (momentum) effects this parity that seems obvious from an angular momentum perspective is hidden by a circular definition in terms of forces, since "gravity" is seen to operate as a force, while inertia is not (though there is no rational reason for not calling inertia a "force"), if we choose that convention, since "action" by definition requires a force, and the inertial reaction of mass is also force -- but we somehow fail to fully realize the significance of that fact. Gravity may simply be no more than the fact that all mass pulls other mass because all mass pushes back when pushed. It may be a parity law, after all.

Quote:
They've been done and it is simply a matter of applying the right physical convention, understood in a broader way.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #184
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Assuming that you are correct, Erick, how then does one put that information into a framework for training that would eventually enable a student to carry out the standard ki tests?

best,

R
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #185
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Assuming that you are correct, Erick, how then does one put that information into a framework for training that would eventually enable a student to carry out the standard ki tests?
I cannot speak explicitly to the Tohei framework, since I trained through both Saotome and Saito's lineages, and some limited exposure to Yoshinkan. But I don't think that really matters, because Ki is Ki, and training that improves any uses of Ki improves all the uses of Ki.

Aikido training is tapping into the fundamental and powerful nature of oscillatory power (our bipedal balance system is explicitly oscillatory) -- and O Sensei signalled this throughout his teachings on things like kotodama, furitama (spirit shaking), tekubi furi, (wrist shaking) funetori (boat rowing) and any number of Doka, like the red an white jewels, that control the ebb and flow of tides, and my favorite of which, capturing both low frequency (undulating) and high frequency (buzzing) oscillations as the explicit manifestations of Ki is this:

Quote:
O Sensei wrote:
The honored techniques if KI
May manifest the spirit of the Great Snake
Or that of Bees
To make such spirits (tama) appear
Is the Way of Takemusu
It is my considered opinion that combined aspects of sensitizing the body to be attuned to these natural rhythms (aiki), allows one to begin to exploit them more readily -- at points in space and time that when there can be no resistance to the manipulation. In oscillatory terms that point of absolutely no resistance ( in both spatial and temporal terms) is another explicit concept that O Sensei tauight -- Juuji -- 90 degree or right-angle relationships -- harmonic relationships, creating a driving resonance between two interacting oscillating systems. At 90 degrees phase difference in oscillations, when one system is at maximum positive or negative the other is at zero, and when the one is at zero the other is maximum positive or negative. No resistance is possible in this orientation.

The secret in gaining in sensitivity is simply in rigorous training in the "mystical crap" or otherwise "wierd-seeming" aiki taiso such as furitama, tekubi furi, ude furi, funetori (and I do not rule out kotodama training, though it has never been taught to me, apart from certain vocalizations for funetori). Paired practice such as the kokyu dosa, and the forms of the waza, isolate the sensation of the nature action from the anticipation of the form of the action. These allow one to begin to learn the feel of the other persons structure and dynamic through these mechanisms.

I know it works, because I can literally feel my way into another persons body in a tactile sense in kokyu tanden ho, and the same way my seniors told me they could do when I still thought it was mainly mystical crap (but unmistakeably effective mystical crap). Now I know it is physical. It is as entirely real as the sound I can hear without seeing the immediate cause of it. I may have finally sorted out why, or at least found a decent starting position for doing so.

The secret in application, I have come to conclude, is to think deeply about the ways in which resonance, harmonics and other aspects of 90 degree relationships may be set up or addressed in the response to attack, and to begin to see how these are already powerfully expressed in the formal waza, espcially in the spiral rotations that signal such as situation. And in developing an intense weapons practice where they have to become much more precise, and which finally disposes of any hope of using leverage as the principle of action at the point of engagement.

I have not the resources to compare the portions of the DTR syllabus that O Sensei explicitly dropped, but my gut at this point tells me that those he dropped likely exhibited little or none of these principles and were more allied to leverage principles also seen in other schools of jujitsu and were therefore discarded, infavor of concentration on this view of Ki as a martial tool. Someone around here was working on classifying what was dropped from the DTR syllabus. It may be possible to use this hypothesis as a rubric to examine them to see if this may have been among the rationales (there were surely others, too) that may explain some of those he dropped.

In the case of unbendable arm, one "ki-test" I have been exposed to, is to emphasize letting only one of the paired skeletal muscles do work at any given time -- i.e. ensure that the body is orienting itself in properly positive-negative poles in every element when expressing Ki. The more typical situation of untrained persons is to have counter-action of the skeletal muscles at every joint (as with the biceps/triceps) that is used to stabilize the joint fulcrum when using leverage. With leverage, limb rotations are opposed to one another. Ki doesn't use leverage. All rotations go the same way with Ki (until, of course, they automatically reverse (reflect) at some discontinuity and all go back the other way again).

The counteraction (entirely necessary to use effective joint leverage) is wasted energy when using Ki. Leverage stability counteraction directly reduces the effective force of the action muscle. The counter-tension also inhibits the free flow of Ki (understood as oscillation) in the body in the negative (or zero) channels (depending on how you look at it), by damping oscillations that would otherwise move freely, and thus also be felt more clearly.

I hope that gives some practical and hopefully useful, initial consequences to this admittedly large attempt at a comprehensive physical theory of Ki.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 01-01-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #186
Erick Mead

United_States

This discussion helped crystallize thoughts I have been working in various portions for a while now. I really think my riff on the physical aspects has departed the discussion topic, though. So I split that out in the General forum http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...610#post222610 -- but before I did that, I worked through the thoughts in a more comprehensive dialogue in my aikiblog. http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/but-why...-of-aiki-3404/

I hope there some critical and constructive comments on where these ideas stand at this point..

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #187
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Hi Ron:

My own thinking is that detailed scientific questions about the physics of ki beg the question. Regardless of how one explains aiki, the key question to my mind is: can one manifest this power? Can one do the ki tests that Ueshiba and Shioda and Tohei could do? The jo "trick," or instantly reversing a shove to the shoulders, as in the 1935 Asahi demo, or being unliftable, or a number of other feats documented on video/film. I happen to think that Rob, Mike S and the rest of the Ki Club, to use Kevin L's term, have a workable, testable framework for explaining and teaching ki. But in the end, doesn't it come down to what one can or cannot do--or if one is still struggling with it, then what one's teachers can or cannot do? Science is science because it provides among other things a forum for falsifiability--a way to check assertions empirically and in a reproducible fashion. If one says, ki is x, one should be able to follow up with, i know this because of y and z empirical experiences, not just to assert that for instance, "Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

best,

R
Hi Raul -

While I never had any direct exposure to O Sensei or Yoshinkan, the Ki testing and exercises of Tohei have been an integral part of my training from the very beginning. When I began Aikido Maruyama Sensei was still affiliated with Ki Society and even after he left, Sensei continued to emphasize Ki development as part of his instruction. As an independent instructor I continue to carry on Ki development as an integral part of my own training and teaching in the manner that I was taught.

So, yes, I can do the exercises and demonstrations and my students can perform them as well.

Best,

Ron
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #188
aikilouis
France

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Well, I'm not Gene, obviously, but I do believe that these things are being discussed with relative sound science in Quantum Physics. I'm not saying I have the answer. I am saying they are worth keeping an mind open to as science begins to develop a language for their general consumption.

I found this link on the web and I believe it may offer information related to some of these concepts. http://www.scribd.com/doc/4972662/So...tion-Awakening
This book doesn't seem very serious. When you read stuff like "Revival of Atlantean Knowledge" in the table of contents, alarm bells start ringing.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #189
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Ki is the oscillation forming every wavelength of the spectrum.
Hi Erick -

All of the subsequent statements in your post follow from this premise. The statement is really kind of beautiful in its simplicity as it removes the need to describe Ki in any physical way. It's almost (but not quite) as if you're likening Ki to the aether of pre-Relativitistic physics.

Best,

Ron
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #190
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
All of the subsequent statements in your post follow from this premise. The statement is really kind of beautiful in its simplicity as it removes the need to describe Ki in any physical way. It's almost (but not quite) as if you're likening Ki to the aether of pre-Relativitistic physics.
You have a point, and yes, I have considered that. However, that is seeking the answer to the question "What is oscillating?" We only know the ultimate nature of the "what", the substance, through the form of its observation, (the oscillations). It may be irreducible, who knows?

As quantum mechanics has shown the "what" is a very knotty problem. It seems to relate intimately to the "problem" of observer bias. That has long implied, and continues to imply (to many) a "who," which is not a very comforting thought to the reductionists. (Bishop Berkeley keeps knocking 'em back.)

In any event, I don't have to resolve that dark quandary to make this observation the basis of a physical understanding of Ki that can bridge the divide between a traditional knowledge of Ki as a physically operative concept and that of physics. That may be the best way to see it, actually -- Ki is not a theory as to a substance, it is a theory as to an operation, and the nature of the ultimate substance (or whether there is any, as such) may remain as much as mystery as it is to quantum mechanics, because its operations as to our conventional substances at grosser scales is essentially the same, regardless of the answer to that question.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #191
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Hi Ron:

I was aware of your background with Maruyama sensei, so my question wasn't directed at you personally. I was pretty sure that senior students of Tohei and Maruyama can perform the ki tests. I was making a more general point: that it's all too easy to create a theory of ki untethered to empirical, testable propositions. And I would be wary of theories that do not easily provide us with falsifiable assertions and more concretely, a definite way of training to improve our aikido.

best,

R
Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #192
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
I was making a more general point: that it's all too easy to create a theory of ki untethered to empirical, testable propositions. And I would be wary of theories that do not easily provide us with falsifiable assertions and more concretely, a definite way of training to improve our aikido.
Then we share the same general objectives.

No luminous being am I ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #193
C. David Henderson
United_States

Erick's elegant idea that ki describes oscillation as a characteristic of, among other things, physical interaction and Gene's question about the ki of a bursting seed have some things in common, from over here.

They both seem to me to describe, not a measure of "energy," but a type of potentiality. The potential of systems to unfold in terms of organizational principles (angular momentum or DNA), which in each case (to take a stab at it) describe how energy flows through the system, alters the system, and/or manifests itself in the system over time.

Speaking of spirals, I recall seeing a film once of two sea eagles in a mating ritual. They clasp talons while aloft, and spiral, locked together, towards the earth. At some point, they break off, and correct their flight. It was beautiful and suggestive.

DH
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #194
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Ludwig Neveu wrote: View Post
This book doesn't seem very serious. When you read stuff like "Revival of Atlantean Knowledge" in the table of contents, alarm bells start ringing.
Fair enough.
Some would say that much of well accepted asian philosophy falls into the above category as well.

And I agree that there is definitely a lot of information involved in that book. It does appear to approach certain meta-physical topics from many different angles. Some of which I didn't go near. Some I found very curious.

As an open-minded individual I would encourage you not to throw the baby out with the bath water. I definitely did the 'pick and choose'. As usual, a person can look for something that might speak to them. If it doesn't ,it doesn't. And that is good information, too. And since I didn't offer this was a way to fix a car on a dark highway, I see no need to go into alarm mode.

This is the spiritual thread, so ya get what ya get.

Thanks for checking it out.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #195
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Hi Ron:

I was aware of your background with Maruyama sensei, so my question wasn't directed at you personally. I was pretty sure that senior students of Tohei and Maruyama can perform the ki tests. I was making a more general point: that it's all too easy to create a theory of ki untethered to empirical, testable propositions. And I would be wary of theories that do not easily provide us with falsifiable assertions and more concretely, a definite way of training to improve our aikido.

best,

R
Hi Raul, I know this was addressed to Ron, but here I am.

The places where 'ki', or extended power as one definition, has entered my life in a concrete way has mostly not been in the dojo, but rather on the street and in my 'real life'. It has proved it's pre-emption,connection, and combat effectiveness. Which covers a lot of threads obsessions about something lacking in the art or something lacking in the training that's now offered. Aikido has met it's mettle in my first hand life and that covers it, for me.

For others whose lives center around empiricism the method you describe would seem more appropriate to them.

Having said that, I would enjoy training in whatever traditional skills find their way to my training. Including the Ki society exercises that are both grounded and fascinating.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 01-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #196
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Hi Jen:

I am not questioning ki, its reality or its importance. I am saying that there are established tests for ki that Ueshiba, Shioda, Tomiki, Tohei and other senior deshi could do. A theory of ki that works should, to my mind, enable a student to retrace their learning process so that a student could himself carry out these tests. In the absence of some test, some experiential evidence, how can we tell who has the goods and who does not--or whose theory actually works?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #197
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Hi Jen:

I am not questioning ki, its reality or its importance. I am saying that there are established tests for ki that Ueshiba, Shioda, Tomiki, Tohei and other senior deshi could do. A theory of ki that works should, to my mind, enable a student to retrace their learning process so that a student could himself carry out these tests. In the absence of some test, some experiential evidence, how can we tell who has the goods and who does not--or whose theory actually works?
Hi Raul,
I didn't think you were. So we're on the same page there.

I came to aikido out of a sense of magnetism. I simply was atracted to it for no specific reason and found amazing ( and very difficult) things came to me from training. I have continued to follow in my own tradition of being drawn to things; be they teachers, practices,information, or praxis. This method has been encompassing and effective for me. For my own part, I can retrace them, rebuild them,name them and , in the context of the dojo, dissect them to their parts; mechanically and otherwise.
As I am an instructor who owns her own dojo, I am always on the lookout for teachers who can impart lessons in whatever way students can grasp so they can benefit, in real time, in the training of martial arts.
It probably goes without saying that not everyone learns or operates as I do. I offer teachers to my students who can teach in a way that others can solidly learn from. Your method may very well become one of them. In fact, some of them are.
If you come to the Central Coast of CA, you'd always be welcome to come and share some of the things that you are working on. We'd treat you real nice and show you around to a couple of breweries !
Thanks for the dialog

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 01-02-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #198
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I'm going to take up the issue for Gene because the premise of the question ( and Gene's belief) illustrate the misperception of the concept
WOW, alot of good exchange of ideas. Too bad it's brought down by "barnyard" politics. We may get to the bottom of just what Ki is, how it works/ flows/manifests itself (or not), etc, only if we can minimize the "if you don't think like me, then you just mis-perceive", we might come to the conclusion that it can't be proven in a lab, but can't be denied.
Btw, premise of which question?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #199
GeneC
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Ki is the oscillation forming every wavelength of the spectrum
So, we agree that there IS a spectrum (something in question earlier), but it went from having a place in the "Spectrum", to being the Spectrum? I find that hard to accept, as that'd mean one could emit light, heat, electricity, Gamma rays, X-rays, etc out of their bodys. Folks'd be melting down, bursting into flames, vaporizing, glowing in the dark, etc

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #200
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
So, we agree that there IS a spectrum (something in question earlier), but it went from having a place in the "Spectrum", to being the Spectrum?
No. You missed it. Spectra are divisions of wavelength of oscillation, all instances of which are aspects of Ki -- or if you prefer, angular momentum.
Quote:
I find that hard to accept, as that'd mean one could emit light, heat, electricity, Gamma rays, X-rays, etc out of their bodys. Folks'd be melting down, bursting into flames, vaporizing, glowing in the dark, etc
Not unless you are composed of bosons -- unlike the rest of us cold, dark excluded fermion-folk -- but, hey -- it takes all kinds. Not all oscillations are created equal, it seems. Damned exclusion principle!. NO justice, NO peace! I say.

Oh! Wait!

I do glow -- in infrared!

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.