Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Marketplace

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Finally finished training DVD

Well, I finally finished that training DVD on Hanmi that I had mentioned to some of you. We're selling it only through the website www.aikidoprinciples.com. I hope some of you are interested. It is the first of what I hope are 29 DVDs on various principles of Aikido.

We've kept the price as low as possible but still enable us to recover some costs and hopefully make a profit over the long run.

The DVD was produced as professionally as possible to make it a decent addition to your collection.

As the DVD is scripted along the lines of principles instead of techniques per se, I hope it will be useful to people from all styles of Aikido.

If we sell enough of these to recover the cost of producing the first one, we will begin work on the next five which include ones on the topics of The Third Point, Tai Sabaki, The 90 Degree Principle, Awase, and Sen No Sen.

I would appreciate if those of you who do get the DVD put up comments on the Aikiweb review site, whether they are good or bad. Good reviews will make us feel better but bad reviews will teach us what changes to make in the next DVD. So good or bad, any review will be appreciated.

Rock
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Jerry Miller

United_States
Re: Finally finished training DVD

Cool, I like principles myself. It looks like you are up north now?

Jerry Miller
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

In Regina, Saskatchewan until a new contract tells me where I am going.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
We've kept the price as low as possible but still enable us to recover some costs and hopefully make a profit over the long run.
No offense Hiroaki, but is that really as "low as possible"? Whether it's CAD or USD, $55.00 is a little steep for a DVD. A video has to look pretty interesting once it gets into the $40-50 range, and I have never been satisfied with a video when I paid that much for it. When I have paid $10-25, I have almost always felt good about the exchange.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a profit, it means you've got a good product, but we don't set prices to recover costs. If that were the case no businesses would ever fail. Prices are determined by consumer demand. Have you created something of that much value?

Just some food for thought. Anyway, good luck with your video series.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Congratulations, that must have been quite the process.

If I may suggest, putting up 2~5 short clips on your site from the DVD would likely go a long way in inticing potential buyers; I know I was looking for clips when I followed the supplied link.

Best of luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote: View Post
It is the first of what I hope are 29 DVDs on various principles of Aikido.
Compliments. It look great. Appreciate the principle aspect. Too often forgotten.

But, 29 x $60 ($55+$5) = $1740.00. A large investment for the series. Any chance at a single volume (or 2) that introduce the pinciples?

Best of luck in your Aikido and sales. I look forward to reading reviews.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Thanks to those who replied regarding the higher cost of the DVD. I appreciate your feedback. I'm not defending my position of the price here but am putting forward my reasons for putting the price at $55.00. I would like some feedback on my rationale. Perhaps I am wrong. We can always reduce the cost later. I know from years in business I can always lower prices but it is damned hard raising them later.

Unfortunately, producing a DVD costs a lot of money and I don't expect to sell that many of the DVDs since most will probably only go to the students of the dojos where I have taught. That means I will probably only sell about 100 DVDs. The wildest estimates would be about 300 DVDs. At a net revenue of $50 per DVD, the probable income on sales would be $5,000 and $15,000. So, we don't even expect to make cost which is about $10,000. I am hoping that we will make about $5,000 at the outside so that we have enough funds to start the next of the series.

The greatest cost to me is that I know most people will just copy the DVD instead of buying one. I've lived in a lot of places where the availability of pirated DVDs is better than the availability of legitimate ones. That includes, and is even more problematic with, training DVDs. I expect that 80% of the copies of my DVD that get out there will be pirated versions. I even expect a lot of my students to pirate the DVD since they wouldn't even be able to afford a $15.00 CDN cost if they were to buy one at that price. A number of my dojos are in places where buying anything from outside their country is extremely expensive.

I know that a lot of the martial arts stores will sell pirated copies of the DVDs. About 10% (conservative estimate from academic research) of the DVDs sold in legitimate stores are pirated DVDs (they may not even know that the DVDs are pirated). I expect that martial arts stores have at least 20% of their DVD and video stock as pirated copies. That is why I don't expect to sell a lot of DVDs.

We put a lot of money and time into the production of the DVD because I have to do a good enough explanation and good visuals for the students that don't have daily access to me any more because I moved away from their location. I hope that you find the quality worth the money.

I appreciate your comments on cost and hope you will respond to this message. I think this is a good discussion point from which I could learn something. While I believe somewhat in market pricing, I have also taught for many years about how to manipulate market price and how to determine market price in the business classes I teach so I am not stuck on letting the market completely determine the price of the product. To do so, it would be best for me to sell the DVDs on e-bay through the auction approach. On the other hand, market price can be manipulated to an extreme degree as in the case of Vlasic Pickles and Walmart.

So, just some thoughts on pricing. I would appreciate comments and discussion on this as well, even if it goes beyond just this DVD. We might look at pricing of all martial arts goods, including practice fees.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Compliments. It look great. Appreciate the principle aspect. Too often forgotten.

But, 29 x $60 ($55+$5) = $1740.00. A large investment for the series. Any chance at a single volume (or 2) that introduce the pinciples?

Best of luck in your Aikido and sales. I look forward to reading reviews.
Hi Lynn,

Because I am producing these for my students and I find that just an introduction is insufficient, I am trying to do a credible job on each principle. I find that even spending 45 minutes to an hour and a half is not enough time to cover the principle sufficiently (and I think that has been done much better by a number of other people). So what I have done is to spend a good 45 minutes of structured time and some further unstructured time on the subject. I will only be able to produce 3-5 DVDs each year. I expect the series to take me about 6 to 10 years to produce all of them so the price for the entire series is amortized over that period. That comes to about $165.00 per year to $275.00 per year at the most. I just can't afford to produce any more than that each year since I don't have the money and time to invest in their production at any higher rate.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
Congratulations, that must have been quite the process.

If I may suggest, putting up 2~5 short clips on your site from the DVD would likely go a long way in inticing potential buyers; I know I was looking for clips when I followed the supplied link.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the suggestion Nick. I will see if I can get the production company to put up a short clip on the website. Actually, the website and everything is being done piecemeal with me spending only that amount of money that I have available for this project at this time. If we get some sales and some money in, I promise that one of the first things we will do is to upgrade the website with some short clips.

I'll be seeing the people responsible for the website in a couple weeks so I will mention this to them.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Oh, I do admit, one consideration in the pricing was what I pay for a night out on the town or for a game of golf or for a month of practice fees rather than what I might expect to pay for a commercial DVD. I priced partially based on what I thought was the value of the DVD's contents in relation to everything else I pay for.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

Osu Sensei,
IMHO, your analysis of the market niche, competition, pirating, price, and rationale appear accurate to me. Your content gives you a special niche and no doubt is worth the price. You fit well within the market norms.

But I can't afford most of them either. Too much good information in this information era.

Compliments and appreciation.

PS: You ever get to the Atlanta GA area?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Michael Zartman
Dojo: Three Streams Aikido/Twinsburg, Ohio
United_States

Thank you, Sensei, for sharing your knowledge. I bought one, so there's one less for you to reach your target.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
MM
United_States

I guess my only, limited, input would be the "piracy" issue. If the RIAA and the MPAA priced their products due to "piracy" concerns, then music CDs and movie DVDs would be at least quadruple what they are now. The RIAA and the MPAA complain that they each lose billions of dollars each year on "piracy".

Unfortunately, all those projected "losses" and numbers are imaginary. There is no hard evidence to prove any of it. Therefore pricing according to such things brings about a fictional base for one's product.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I'm not commenting on your price itself. I'm not in any way, someone who has a background on pricing products. I'm speaking about the model (piracy issue) behind your pricing.

There is a very good article on this "piracy" issue versus reality. It's here:
http://www.baen.com/library/

Mark
Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Michael Zartman wrote: View Post
Thank you, Sensei, for sharing your knowledge. I bought one, so there's one less for you to reach your target.
Great! Could you burn me a copy?

That's a joke, Rocky.

Good luck with it. I've self-produced a little fiction book. Marketing is a tough nut to crack!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Michael Zartman
Dojo: Three Streams Aikido/Twinsburg, Ohio
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Great! Could you burn me a copy?
Nope! I plan to watch the DVD and keep all the secrets for myself. Making copies would just be stealing the techniques . . .wait a second, isn't that . . .?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #16
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I guess my only, limited, input would be the "piracy" issue. If the RIAA and the MPAA priced their products due to "piracy" concerns, then music CDs and movie DVDs would be at least quadruple what they are now. The RIAA and the MPAA complain that they each lose billions of dollars each year on "piracy".

Unfortunately, all those projected "losses" and numbers are imaginary. There is no hard evidence to prove any of it. Therefore pricing according to such things brings about a fictional base for one's product.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I'm not commenting on your price itself. I'm not in any way, someone who has a background on pricing products. I'm speaking about the model (piracy issue) behind your pricing.

There is a very good article on this "piracy" issue versus reality. It's here:
http://www.baen.com/library/

Mark
Thanks Mark,

Great article. One that I believe in to a point myself as the Internet based classes I produce on business management, I put for general distribution for free. I use the free Internet material to elicit the consulting work that pays my salary.

I guess the problem I face here is the cost of production of a professionally produced DVD and the actual market size for my DVDs. I estimated the actual number of the possible market to be no more than about 2000 people. That is a really small market to be doing a free sample. If I can expect 10% of the market to actually buy the product, my expected sales is only 200 DVDs.

And, unlike the situation where I produce classes on the Internet for business management knowledge, producing DVDs involves paying out hard cash. If I produced the knowledge only on the Internet using my own production capabilities and knowledge and time, I think I would the Baen Model and expect to make back my costs by getting people to put together seminars at which I could teach. Even though I have been a film producer and director at one time in my career and I probably could put together something on the Internet to help my former students, I found I just couldn't get the quality I wanted to, the cost of hiring a dojo to film in was too high and I just didn't have the time to do the editing in a way that I wanted. The last problem was that I couldn't film myself while doing the demonstrations. So, I had to go with professional production and face professional production costs.

I guess I feel that the difference lies in the cost of production, the small market size, and the fact that I don't really make much money doing seminars. In fact, I often end up paying to go to the seminars at which I teach, just like I pay dojo fees at most dojos where I teach. I've tended to take the view that the knowledge is free. What people have to pay for is the other things like the facilities, the professional quality of the DVD, personal coaching, good mats, nice atmosphere, my personal time. With the DVD, I figure what people are paying for is the physical DVD itself, the professional quality, and the ability to review the material over and over -- kind of like getting the paper copy of a book. If I did it as a self-produced project that I could put on the Internet, then it would be free.

In fact, we are looking at doing just that. We hope to be able to have enough profits from the sales to put together a better website on which we will put a page where you can view streamed video of seminars that are filmed along with things like chat rooms and articles on Aikido and other Budo-type stuff. It will all take time and money that is not available at this time. Step by step.

Rock
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
Rocky Izumi
Kuwait

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
PS: You ever get to the Atlanta GA area?
Sorry Lynn,

Haven't been around Atlanta way for over 20 years. If the next consulting contract or other work allows me stay in Canada for a while, I will need to travel down to my dojos in the Caribbean every year. I suppose I could arrange to make a pit stop around Atlanta since it is a hub. What do you have in mind?

Rock
Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #18
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
What do you have in mind?
Osu Sensei,
Nothing concrete in mind. Just liked what I saw.
Until again,
Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #19
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Well, I finally finished that training DVD on Hanmi that I had mentioned to some of you. We're selling it only through the website www.aikidoprinciples.com. I hope some of you are interested. It is the first of what I hope are 29 DVDs on various principles of Aikido.

The DVD was produced as professionally as possible to make it a decent addition to your collection.

As the DVD is scripted along the lines of principles instead of techniques per se, I hope it will be useful to people from all styles of Aikido.

If we sell enough of these to recover the cost of producing the first one, we will begin work on the next five which include ones on the topics of The Third Point, Tai Sabaki, The 90 Degree Principle, Awase, and Sen No Sen.

I would appreciate if those of you who do get the DVD put up comments on the Aikiweb review site, whether they are good or bad. Good reviews will make us feel better but bad reviews will teach us what changes to make in the next DVD. So good or bad, any review will be appreciated.

Rock
Hi Rock,
It sounds to me as if this series will be extremely valuable. I think you are trying to do what I have also tried to do, namely make "instructional" videos.

I have virtually hundreds of videos. Seminars, camps, studio, etc. Almost none of them are "instructional." They are all just various people of various skill levels showing their stuff. The best of them organize the material thematically but there is almost no "instruction" as to how one goes about doing what is shown. It sounds like your series is designed to go beyond that.

There is a desperate need for principle based instruction out there. If these videos are as good as they sound, they'll be worth every penny.

People whine about the cost of these things sometimes... well, they need to take into consideration just how much the folks that made the videos have invested... Often, the "production costs" do not even include what you have put into the preparation in terms of time and effort, merely what you paid the outside production folks. Also, by the time you have the juice to do a video that people would find useful, you have an investment in your own training of many tens of thousands of dollars.

After 26 years of training, I finally put out my first videos. I've slowly developed a loyal customer base over the last five years and now, my video sales are paying for my training. In other words, I spend everything I make on the videos on my Aikido. I suspect it is the same for folks like yourself. It's not like anyone is getting rich off this stuff...

Anyway, people who make the decision to buy or not based on what other videos cost are like the folks who decide on what dojo to train at based on what the dues are... Myself, I look for the content. If it's there, I'd pay a lot more. It might take me a bit longer to acquire them but I'll pay if the value is there.

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 07-13-2007 at 11:53 AM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
It's not like anyone is getting rich off this stuff...
What? You mean the rumors of your private, gold-leafed jet with diamond encrusted satelite phone are not true?

Shocked, I am......

Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Parallel example prices in USD: http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page5.html

I have DVD's I spent $90 on 10 years ago that I still watch and learn from, despite the frequent argument that one cannot learn from a DVD. Given how much the typical martial arts DVD is, I think your price is totally reasonable, even without knowing the quality of the instruction which certainly may make it worth more or less on an individual basis.

That's more or less a month's training fee depending on where in the world you train, and the material lasts much longer than a month. If the price is too high for some people, they shouldn't spend the money. It's a marketplace, not a required purchase.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #22
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

This is slightly off-topic, but I thought of it while reading George Sensei's post above.
It is about finances in general and teaching aikido. People often marvel at and ask me about my profession as an aikido instructor.And I 'spose it is a 'profession' because our society is set up this way; Amateur or Professional. They often say, "Wow, it's amazing that you can support yourself with that salary." My answer varies, but usually a little of this comes in to the conversation. "If I wanted to rent a $500.00 a month apartment and be single for my entire life without children, then, yes, you could call this supporting myself." But the truth is I work two other jobs to afford to teach. I know that our other illustrious Sensei have been / and are in the same position.

Now $500.00 a month was no problem while I was in my 20's and 30's, giving my time to the dojo has always been a labor of love . It is where I trained and learned my craft in trade. But it has always been my 2nd & 3rd job that has paid the bills; landscaping and building, both being very hard labor, are the real backbone of my finances. Any money I do make from Aikido goes instantly back into the dojo or to support my training and travel costs( Just like George Sensei said, I believe). The real resaon I teach Aikido 'professionally' is because I have to teach and now I teach outside of the dojo where I was raised. Teaching is an inner imperative, A phenomenon I relate to as the arts demand for 'return investment'. I have something special to offer and If I don't offer my training to others my life turns to $h!+ in an instant. And I came from deep do-do before I got to the dojo, so you can bet I'm into it on a deep level.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is that mostly providing lessons and dvd's and seminars at a cost are not making the teacher an instant millionaire. If they finally make some cash, then God bless that person for sticking it out long enough to make it happen. Long enough to live through un-insured broken collar bones, un-counseled psycho-dramas by those who come looking for 'self-help' at the dojo, un-understood sensei perspectives that leave us isolated while others ease into social unions, unappreciated attempts at offering lifetimes of lessons carried in our bodies and hearts.
Not to cry here, because I'm glad to be all of this; the teaching and ancestral satisfactions are much deeper than any physical or explicit gain. This is just a perspective from a different angle.
So, Thanks to the people who stick their physical and financial necks out in the service of Aikido; all of y'all. (Even You, L)
Jen

"Daily practice in Aikido will make you grateful to be alive."

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 07-21-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 07-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #23
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Hey, thought I would pop by and leave a comment or two.

First, yes 10k is a lot.
You could have bought your own equipment and done it yourself.
(Trial and error and keep doing it till you refine it. - as well as a lot of resources out there to learn, basically for free, how to do your own shoot.) -

...of course equipment and long term goals come into effect. (ie. do you shoot HD for the sake of future proofing your material? I mean its here, HD that is.

Shoot HD, deliver SD, and then later when HD (through the likes of Blue ray) are common, you dont have to re-shoot...or have your SD look like crap on an HD screen, and trust me it will, go to the store and see some SD footage on the HD sceens...I think they stopped doing that for the most part a couple years back.

And now they are actually at 4k (film res - now with the 'red' camera from Jim Jannard...and 4k is a lot more detailed then HD...a lot larger, theatrical size...so people will be future proofing with that by shooting 4k and delivering SD, HD, etc..)

As you can probably tell, from what may seem like rambling, I was a video/New Media producer for quite some time (worked for large corporations which syndicated via web, radio, web, video etc.) so Im quite familiar with budgets both high and low...as well as what you can expect given each projects circumstance.

It may seem overwhelming, and I realize its for this reason people outsource..as well as they want quality off the bat...but its not an unrealistic expectation to 'do it yourself' if you are into it, and want to save money - and yes have it look fine to. (or you can combine some outsource while doing some 'in-house')

At the end of the day, you have spent the 10k already.
But in the future for a 25 DVD set, why worry about recouping cost...consider the other possibilities - sounds like my sensei & sempai now

This way you can make lower cost DVDS...and check this out - as Apple realized with iTunes - with lower cost, you will tend to sell more...even to people who would pirate.

Lets not forget this crowd of pirates do so (whether right or wrong, I will not go into) because things are out of their reach, yet they want to be legal, so when its in their reach they pay for it.

So you may open up sales...not forgetting that there are a lot of students that take Aikido and dont have much funds to begin with - and as the case in America, already have 30k student loans...what a life to start out with.

So take that into consideration.

If you are curious of possible system/equipment configurations, feel free to U2U me - this is free, Im not a sales guy...just passionate about arts/media.

Of course it will only be pointers to help guide you...but if you do choose to look in to some production work yourself, it may help you out.

Peace

Dalen

- of course add samples to your website - and here is another area...video compression.
If it looks bad, it wont help to entice users. Apple, I believe, usually starts out with film for compressing their movie trailers. - I used what we had at the company, which was...Digibeta and Dvcpro 50 (good broadcast quality...of course not HD)

- other pointer: whatever you do, if possible (and this probably can only be affordable if you do intend to buy your own equipment, otherwise it will cost you an arm and leg, and more, but I do want to be sensitive to the fact that your not coming from a video background, so it may actually 'make things worse' doing it yourself, if video, etc., is not your thing...) but either way, shoot at the highest res. you can afford.

If time is an issue, go HD. If not, then 4k is on its way, digitally that is - Peter jackson has already had his guy test out a new digi camera that will shoot 4k (red camera) - although its at the end of its testing phase and not quite on the market, per say, yet. (just fyi, you are looking at 25k for lens and the camera mentioned, which is good when you realize that cameras already utilized for film are quite a bit more expensive, infact some cameras you cant purchase...just rent for hefty daily fees.)

Of course 25k would blow your mind initially, but remember, Im not talking about SD, HD, but 'film' 4k which can be res down to 2k, HD, SD, and dont dare to VHS!
Again, future proofing is important, as you have to count how much you invested in production.
10k seems like maybe a good price, perhaps...but if its SD...well, you see where Im going.

Anyway, the best to you, and peace

Dalen

Last edited by dalen7 : 07-22-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #24
dalen7

Hungary

I ran out of 'editing' time...so just insert this in what I was saying at the end.

- the 4k, 2k, or whatever footage can be edited on an apple final cut station...(of course pay attention to system requirements...and there should be a way for you to network in your area with people in production...they really are a helpful lot. They wont do the work for you, but they will help you on your way. Again, if you are interested in this route, I can try to send you links to forums to get you pointed in the right direction...but Im sure with a little homework, and networking with people that perhaps are in your dojo...you can find out who is available to help you in your area (and I dont mean help in the sense of you being the client.)

of note, I brought up finalcut and apple, as they were kind of like the Trojan horse in the industry to make things affordable to 'artist' and not just people with deep pockets, that at times, were not even talented themselves.

Peace

Dalen
Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #25
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Hi Lynn,
I will only be able to produce 3-5 DVDs each year. I expect the series to take me about 6 to 10 years to produce...

Rock
This is exactly my point, just to clarify.
If you shoot HD now...you wont be trying to sell out of style SD in 6-10 years, when by then people may be downloading HD movies via iTunes (arent they already downloading movies from itunes in some form of HD?)

Again, just trying to help you in the long run with your cost and project.

But HD is expensive, making it where you need to do it yourself - or connect with people 'intern/students' etc that may help/use the equipment (whatever the arrangement)

wouldnt take 'indies' for granted. Of course not the right use of the term...but in a large city (say Atlanta for example) you can find enthusiastic and very talented people making low budget films that arent bad at all. - the type of people that can help you make your training series. Now I have not idea of your situation in Canada...I always imagine Canada being empty - albeit there is Toronto, etc.
...so if your in a small city, this may be unfortunately a slight disadvantage for you in this regard.
- side note: but this may not work either....using intern/student type people.
Typically the best deal in that scenario is if you are part of the group, where there is no cost for labor, per say, as each person is pitching in - as they all have a stake in the project at hand. (whether it be for portfolio work for a better job, or a film festival)

Sorry if some of the info isnt helpful/relevant for you.

peace

Dalen

Last edited by dalen7 : 07-22-2007 at 05:53 AM.