Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
When was the last time your Aikido changed directi

When was the last time your Aikido changed direction?
Just thought I let folks know in case anymore of you drop by the dojo. A few have and thought what's up with that? Well what it is is I have not been teaching for the last six months and I won't be teaching for at least another six if ever. What I am doing is having fun and I am on a discovery journey. I am working on me and folks in my class (for lack of a better work) are going along for the ride. Funny thing is when I stopped teaching and started on this discovery phase the attendance doubled. I am using folks and I don't feel a bit guilty about it. I try something and then watch them and maybe feel how they do it and then I learn a little more about what I want. I am into taking my partners center as softly, as efficiently, as economically as I can. I don't ever want to throw anyone again. I want to take their center and balance and when they fall I may speed up the delivery process to the ground a little, or I may not. A touch here or a push there. Maybe make them extend a little further than they attended or com up a little short. Anything to capture their center and balance before of just after we touch. I get hit a lot but I am having fun! After 30 plus years of bump and grind on the mat and maybe a little finesse on occasion when the real Aikido accidentally kicked in I feel more and more every day like the Velveteen Rabbit. Damn near loved to death. So I am on a new journey and don't care a whit to teach but I am going to have fun. As one of my students said "Sensei that didn't look vary martial or fell vary martial, I thought that all the way to mat" Oh yaw I like this new discovery phase. Maybe I will call it Scientology Aikido. Think Oh L. Ron would get pissed?

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 06-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Is it possible for you to not teach? Is teaching strictly pro-active?

Why not go all the way and start as a beginner in another art?

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 06-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
"Why not go all the way and start as a beginner in another art?"[/quote]
Did that three times already. But after you get a few more dan ranks in the new art you ain't a beginner any more. Besides I am not tired of Aikido I just wnat to think about me a little more before I die.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 06-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hooker Sensei (or maybe I should say Dennis now),

I had some interesting feelings when reading your post.

1) It is admirable for someone with so much experience to re-evaluate their practise and teaching to such a great extent. A lot of people with your experience would simply keep on with what they know. It takes a certain amount of courage to take a new path in old surroundings.

2) My own teacher has been focusing our efforts on "taking the center", "connecting to uke's center" and many of the things you mentioned. It is an interesting level of practise...and very difficult. Because we have the yoshinkan basics, we use that as the framework, and go deeper into the basics to discover how to do these "new" (to us on that level anyway) things. It would seem that the hight of "aiki" is to take uke's balance before or as soon as they (or you) make contact. It seems so difficult, so risky (in a "real" confrontation), but its sooooooo kool when it happens.

3) what brought a lot of this searching about, is a chance meeting with a senior student in the Aikido Kenkyukai of Yoshinobu Takeda Shihan. His use of center and the way he connects to uke are fascinating.

I'm wondering...was your journey inspired by a change in your personal life, a chance meeting with another aikidoka, or something else? This is a very personal question, so I'll understand if you don't want to answer, or if you do answer but privately.

Good keiko

Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 06-18-2003 at 12:16 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
With 30 years in the art(s), I say you are probably have the right to claim a little "me time", Mr. Hooker.

It is good to read that a long time practitioner still has not grown weary of his primary art.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 06-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Hi Dennis,

Small directional changes...just about every day or so. Large changes... about two months ago. The last large change before this one was about 3 years ago. It has something to do with "really" not fighting.

I'm celebrating with you, my friend, we've earned it!

Look forward to seeing you sometime soon. I'll send you an email about my trip to Florida in September.

Best Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
In my 15 years of Aikido, and 20 years of martial arts total, (of which I have kept a journal throughout--My first instructor said this would make it easier to understand where my students are and make it easier to see where they are going), I have noticed that at first I had little epiphanies all the time, as long as I kept an open mind. Now, the epiphanies are sometimes little sometimes big, but, are often harder to see and come less frequently. I try to get a healthy balance of teaching and just training so things continue this way and I will try to develop "big eyes" (being able to see the large picture with an open mind).

I hope your change in direction keeps inspiring you.

In Aiki,

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 06-18-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Dennis,

As you know I am into climbing mountains. Somewhere along the way I discovered that it isn't about getting to the top. The important thing is to enjoy the journey. To get off on the flora and fauna along the way. To find joy in the people we meet and to mean it when we say 'Namaste' as we pass. (That translates as - I salute the devine within you)

So, as we are on the same boat on the same river going to the same place - Namaste, my friend.

Bring over that banjo, I'll get the good glasses out. See if I can find my guitar pick.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM   #9
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Hooker Sensei (no: I think the title still applies; even if you no longer teach. Every good teacher is, at heart: still a student, IMHO):

Your post has broached many interesting facets of Aikido, learning, and martial arts.

My congratulations on your new teaching style: it makes me sorry I don't live in Florida, and able to experience your journey, firsthand.

Regarding answering your question posed in the thread: I've changed direction about a half-dozen times, in my Aiki-experience. Usually it corresponds to a change of dojos, or a change in my own life circumstances.

Most recently, I changed from a dojo under Kato Sensei to one under Anno Sensei's tutelage. Their personal and martial styles are very different; but the most important thing that changed (for me), was the way ppl treat me, and each other, within the respective dojos. The philosophies, on the surface level, were very similar: but the deeper outlooks couldn't be more different.

The Kato-dojo also offers classes in Thai kickboxing and yoga; the Anno-dojo offers study in chanting and offers the most comprehensive children's program I've ever seen, in a dojo.

There are other, deeper differences; but etiquette precludes me from making any deeper comparisons that may be construed as a criticism of one dojo, or another.

I was also a student under Sensei Frank Doran. For a time, he considered the apsect of humility in his practice, and he told his students not to bow to him, or call him Sensei.

Would you consider his explorations in humility and etiquette, similar to your explorations in teaching?
Old 06-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #10
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Every class, because I change~~

~~Paula~~
Old 06-20-2003, 06:19 AM   #11
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Neil,

After I was promoted to sandan back in the early eighties I decided that I wasn't worth a damn and was going to start over. Took off my hakima, put on a white belt, you know, the whole works. Don't call me sensei, don't bow to me...

Saotome Sensei found out and it is one of the few times he actually scared me. Just who the hell was I to think that he had made a mistake about my level and competance! When did I think I knew more about Aikido than him? How dare I think that his judgement was wrong in regards to my level in Aikido? Man, was he pissed.

Ed Baker, Sensei pretty much said the same thing, only with a glint in his eye. He said "Linden, you can't start over. All you can do is recognize that the rest of your life is built on what you are doing this very second. And go on from there.

Good lesson. One I observe daily, what ever changes may come.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 06-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #12
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Very interesting thread.

My thoughts in reading the original post were a little strange. I thought about different styles of Aikido and different paths up the mountain. I thought about how my original training in Seidokan had taught me very early on to focus so intensely on the very aspect that Sensei Linden is deciding to focus on after so many years. When I came to America, I joined an ASU dojo and so I put some of these ideas aside as I tried to focus on posture and movement and martial awareness. I guess it really is a thing of many paths up the mountain.

The really interesting thing is that when I moved my focus from the subtle taking of uke's balance to my own movements and martial awareness, I thought of it as 'focusing back in on myself.' Sensei Linden has the same feeling of focusing back in on himself, it seems, despite a shift in the opposite direction.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 06-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Quote:
Daniel Linden (DGLinden) wrote:
Took off my hakima, put on a white belt, you know, the whole works. Don't call me sensei, don't bow to me...

Saotome Sensei found out and it is one of the few times he actually scared me. Just who the hell was I to think that he had made a mistake about my level and competance! When did I think I knew more about Aikido than him? How dare I think that his judgement was wrong in regards to my level in Aikido? Man, was he pissed.
This is so like Saotame Sensei: I can almost picture him saying this to you. He was always very big on the concept of rank, as a reflection of the awarding Sensei.

And yes, Opher: I agree with you...it is an interesting topic. I'm hoping Hooker Sensei will check in and offer a few more observations.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:54 PM   #14
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
"When was the last time your Aikido changed direction?" - Dennis Hooker

Two years ago when I resigned from the Kokikai Aikido organization, after a 25 year affiliation, and chose to continue my study as an independent practitioner. A decision that proved to be at once daunting and exhilarating.

Since the break, my Aikido has blossomed. I feel as though I have thrown off a shroud and emerged into something new and wonderful. Each class I conduct reveals some new thing and I drink it up with relish.

An expansion of awareness is necessarily accompanied by a contraction of reference; a concept I first came across in a book by G. Spencer Brown, The Laws of Form. So it has shown itself to be with my Aikido. I have never felt so aware and so focused on the mat.

Aikido is a form of self expression that is governed by the principles that underpin the application of the techniques that compose the art. I have come to realize that as an instructor my main job is to allow the Aikido that already exists in my students to come forth in all its varied manifesations.

I'm beginning to ramble... Anyway, that's the last time my Aikido changed direction.