Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-14-2003, 05:44 AM   #1
Mark Williams
Ai symbol Templegate Dojo

I have recently started training at Templegate Dojo in Bristol, England, under the tutelage of Sensei Mike Narey. We have a great website: www.templegatedojo.org.uk. Please visit and have a look at our club.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #2
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Nice website Mark. I'll probably drop in the next time I'm in the Bristol area, please feel free to do likewise when you are in the Coventry area.

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-26-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Colin Clark
Dojo: Warwick University
Phoenix aikido dojo

Mr Ashby,

Could you let me know what you think about your dojo in Coventry? I was wondering what it was like, since I go there (well, 'went' - the class has been moved to Allesley of all places) for iaido lessons (with Tony Janew sensei). I was considering doing some aikido there since I can't do iaido at present any more (and I do aikido at my university club), and also have more free time (just finished playing a run of a musical at the Arts centre). I phoned about a week ago to ask about beginners starting there; I think I spoke to Mr Moss, but I'm not sure. Whoever it was, he seemed really nice, and said beginners were welcome in any class. But there are so many yuudansha! (or so it seems, anyway...)

Would you mind if I asked a few things about your dojo? I was wondering whether Tom Moss leads all of the lessons, and what the teaching environment is like. What kind of level are most of the students? Have you trained there for a long time? Is it very crowded? It always looks pretty busy on a Sunday, but the dojo floor is pretty big, I guess. I just wonder about doing rolls and things and not bumping into people!

Hope you see this sometime... Don't feel obliged to answer all the questions I asked. They just kind of all came into my head at once.

- Colin Clark
Old 01-27-2003, 03:11 AM   #4
Jim ashby
Hi Colin. First off call me Jim, everyone else does.

To the questions. No, Tom doesn't lead all of the classes. There are other instructors from 4th to 2nd Dan, each well worth training with.

I've been at the Dojo for 12 years now (geez, where did it go?).

There are a lot of people on the mat of all grades but there are three mat areas so, if it gets a bit crowded, there's overspill areas. The teaching environment is formal but not militaristic, with a strong emphasis on basics, even for the Yudansha (especially for the Yudansha!). This is the most friendly club I've been to, we all go for a beer after training and there are lots of seminars and social events. E:G there are seminars with Hayden Foster Sensei, Donovan Waite Sensei, Terry Ezra Sensei etc etc planned for this year, plus the "Big three" in Lowestoft.

The best advice I can give anyone is the same as I was given when I went to see my first Aikido lesson "don't hang about out here, take your shoes off and have a go".

Try looking up our website via the BAB you'll find out about class times, Instructors etc.

Hope to see you on the mat.

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-27-2003, 02:04 PM   #5
Colin Clark
Dojo: Warwick University
Thanks, Jim!

I don't mind a formal training atmosphere. In fact, I like one. When I was living in Japan, I learned kendo at the village class; it was much more formal than I imagine most lessons here would be (I don't think as much time is spent on seiza and contemplation over here; Mr Janew (my iaido teacher here) noted a similar difference compared with Japanese-style lessons without my mentioning it - e.g. moving more slowly through the basics; I can back this up ^__^).

I hope to see you around, then. :-) Thanks for being so encouraging.

Colin
Old 01-28-2003, 02:08 AM   #6
Jim ashby
I'll be there Sunday. Just look for a grey-haired Saddam Hussein lookalike. I might even buy you a beer!

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom
Hi Colin,

You could also click on the link below my name to take you to our website

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 01-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #8
Jim ashby
John. I never knew you were a lurker! Maybe see you at Ric's tomorrow night.

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-29-2003, 01:23 AM   #9
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom
I've been using Aikiweb for years! Unless I dreamt it I have posted here before but my account appeared to have deleted itself so I created another.

I'll be training in Stratford on Wednesday so see you there!

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk