Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Kotegaeshi: hand or wrist?

Interesting...so middle finger in the wrist crease being a and pinkie being b?
To anyone: what are the pluses and minuses between these two? I understand if everything else (structure) is solid enough it's probably somewhat moot, but I'm curious about different folks interpretations. I've been taught version b, for the record, which seems like it would potentially affect more bend to the wrist due to the palm being centered more on the back of aite's hand...but that's just my guess. Coincidentally, we seem to also really enjoy the index-finger "button" with the other hand for kotegaeshi...at least, the last few times I practiced it that's how we were working the technique.
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Interesting...so middle finger in the wrist crease being a and pinkie being b?
To anyone: what are the pluses and minuses between these two? I understand if everything else (structure) is solid enough it's probably somewhat moot, but I'm curious about different folks interpretations. I've been taught version b, for the record, which seems like it would potentially affect more bend to the wrist due to the palm being centered more on the back of aite's hand...but that's just my guess. Coincidentally, we seem to also really enjoy the index-finger "button" with the other hand for kotegaeshi...at least, the last few times I practiced it that's how we were working the technique.
Take care,
Matt
...sigh...
Just read ealier on...um...I guess what I meant to say was...er...any more thoughts? Too much coffee; not enough...oh hey shiney!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
Commander13CnC3
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Reuben Yap wrote: View Post
The way that I find works for me is to ensure that the opponent is overextended so that his balance is broken already before applying the kote-gaeshi so that you aren't just relying on the wrist-turn (and is generally less painful). Trying to kote-gaeshi someone with a strong wrist in a balanced position is risky. Just my 2 cents.
Our dojo seems to rely upon this heavily, and many (including myself) are building resistance to static kote-gaeshi, enough so that you can almost walk out of it.
I say thumb in between pinky-ring finger knuckles and other fingers wrapped tightly around meat of the hand with a dynamic technique is the best way for this technique.

Though only one enemy calls you out
Be on your best guard.
To deal with one adversary in the spirit of facing ten thousand
Is the Way of the Warrior.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

why is google-fu better than ya-hoo? ...sorry...

The position of hands in a) is better. You should be able to control aite easily this way. Your other hand can be used for atemi.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

in Tomiki's Aikido when we talk about kote gaeshi we also have to talk about kote hineri. Kote gaeshi is bringing the body into a backward kuzushi position, kote hineri is a forward kuzushi position. For us, kote geashi and kote hineri are not throws, but movements to create kuzushi, and after kuzushi we can apply nage-waza, katame-waza, kansetsu waza or atemi waza (as a throw).
Kote gaeshi and kote hineri are movements with a chain reaction in the body. Doing kote gaeshi alone on the "kote" is not practical and can be countered very easy. Without kuzushi no throw or other technique.
This we know from doing randori.

Just a Tomiki view.

Eddy
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
Janet Rosen

Eddie, I have never had a chance to visit a Tomiki dojo (someday!) but I agree that the grip is less important than the kuzushi.
When my thumb arthritis acts up, I can't do anything resembling a "proper" kotegaishe grip. So what? I grab uke's forearm near the wrist and go from there.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #32
Basia Halliop
Canada

Last spring I sprained my thumb and for a little while I wore a brace that also immobilized my wrist. I trained a bit with it, and I found that plenty of people had no problem doing kotegaeshi on me.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
kewms

It's not about the wrist. One of our regular visitors is missing most of one arm below the elbow. Kotegaeshi works fine on him, provided kuzushi is achieved.

That said, the "ideal" kotegaeshi as I was taught places the pinky in the crease of the wrist. Plenty of perfectly legitimate variations exist, though, depending both on relative hand sizes and on where nage's grip happens to land.

Katherine