Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
neb1979
Australia
Maai, Musubi ?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how people train these two aspects of Aikido individually.

Are there any specific training drills that you can do to only focus on Maai and Musubi individually?

I would really like to focus on these areas because during training we don't really have time (as we go through certain techniques more often than not). Don't get me wrong I love techniques but I want to learn the basics to almost perfection before I start moving on.

I am now 6th Kyu ( where I study Aikido your first grading is for 10th Kyu) and am starting to be a model for the lower ranked students for guidance. I would really like to pass on the correct way to perform techniques and what finner points to look at when a technique isn't working. To do that I need to train the basics more so they become second nature.

I know there is years of experience and knowledge here in this forum and would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance
Ben
Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Maai, Musubi ?

Hi Ben,
every partner exercise is training for ma-ai and musubi, for ma-ai training with cutlery ( , i.e. buki/weapons) is helpful.

I just recall one special exercise for both.

One partner (or one aikidoka of a group) takes a jo at one end and swings it horizontically. The other(s) now just try to enter and start a technique - just do the opening of the technique as we do not want to waist time.

First you have to learn to control your fear, or you will never get right timing. When things work well you can start to increase speed. The goal is to step in at the right time as calmly as possible.

The first time, you do it, you will find it strange that speeding up does not increase necessary speed to enter significantly, as the frequence does not change much (basic physics).

If you really want to change frequence, take a lighter jo or bokken and then maybe a tanto? And then do not swing your whol body, but only your forearms - that's challenging

No just joking - we only do it with a jo. The rest is done with "normal" aikido technique exercises.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
neb1979
Australia

Thanks Dirk, I will defiantly try your suggestion.

Ben
Old 04-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I would stress that you should be training ma ai and musubi with every technique. Some nights I'll pick a specific principle to work on in the class. What ever the instructor is doing, I will add something specific to it, and focus on it. In the case of ma ai, it helps if you have someone with longer reach who punches or kicks powerfully. Ask you partner to really focus on being on target with their attacks and to 'bop' you lightly when your distance/timing is off. Ex-kareteka are really good for this sort of practice.

In the case of musubi (joining/connection), I find that waza which involve a series of tenkan/kaiten are really good (also for ma ai). One waza we did last night involved entering as someone grabbed for your hand, retreating the hand and cutting with the other hand, entering kamaemi, huge front pivot all the way behind your partner, back pivot, xstep in to throw with iriminage. With all of that movement, uke should be at the same distance from you through the whole technique. If you don't first join with their movement by initially following them, then leading them, you can't do the waza. Very challenging. Look for waza like that to train your ma ai and musubi.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Maai: distance
Musubi: connection

Use your eyes to really see people.
Use your ears to really listen to them.
Use your body to really touch them.
Use your heart to really teach them.

Once you learn to really connect, you can move people at any distance.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I think that it is important to understand the concepts, but you train them through doing aikido holistically. I personally would not single these things out as because if you concentrate on them, well, you are missing other things.

I'd experience aikido as aikido and learn these concepts over time as you gain an understaning through your total experience.

I like Lynn Seiser's concepts, they really drive home what is important, it is not the hand position, timing, and technical stuff...it is the experience we gain through our senses.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I like the training exercise in which uke attacks shomenuchi (straight strike down the forehead) and nage moves toward them, tenkans to pass by them, and ends up behind and facing toward uke. (You can turn either toward or away from uke; these will later suggest different techniques.) You need connection in order to move when uke moves. If the exercise is done well uke should feel inclined to turn around and see where you've gone--it's a sudori, a "disappearing throw", without the throw.

This also works with bokken for both partners.

Mary Kaye
Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
neb1979
Australia

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Cheers
Ben