Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
mccabegc
United_States
Hello from NJ

Greetings everyone,

I will be taking my first Aikido class on Tuesday and I am pretty pumped. The dojo I signed my son up at teaches, Goju Ryu, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and Nihon Goshin Aikido. Jiu Jitsu and Judo are only taught on Friday nights and one night a week isn't going to be enough. I strongly considered Goju since my son will be taking that as well once he is of age (he is only 4 and they do not start the kids Goju classes until 6). I done a ton of research on Aikido in general and also on NGA. The style itself just seems to be more me. I do not need to be in a Goju class putting on gear and basically fighting each night. I did enough fighting in my teenage years. I now want to learn a self defense "art." NGA seems to capture the "art" of traditional Aikido while blending in some basic strikes and grappling techniques from Karate and Jiu Jitsu.

I won't bore you with the "Is 30 too late to start Aikido?" posts!!! lol
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello from NJ

Hi George,

Welcome to AikiWeb. I hope your first aikido class goes well, and I hope you will keep up updated on your experiences.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
mccabegc
United_States

Just got home from my second class. I'm hooked. It was a very humbling experience actually. I have been reading the forums and watching videos for a few weeks now. All of which stated that Aikido takes years to become proficient in. I chalked it up to "opinion". Boy was I wrong.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
JLRonin

United_States

never too late.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
George McCabe wrote: View Post
Just got home from my second class. I'm hooked. It was a very humbling experience actually. I have been reading the forums and watching videos for a few weeks now. All of which stated that Aikido takes years to become proficient in. I chalked it up to "opinion". Boy was I wrong.
Hey George! Glad you like it. Remember how you feel this week, any aches and pains, and instances where you simply don't 'get' how the techniques are working. I promise in 6 months, you are going to be amazed at the difference. While Aikido is definitely an art that requires a lifetime to study, I still feel that the changes in how you move in your daily life, as well as how you respond to certain situations will surprise and benefit you in the short term as well as the long term. I came from a sport style of Isshin Ryu karate, and I'm still trying to unlearn habits. I still have a long way to go, but I still remember how lost I was in my first couple months, and I know that I've made huge improvements. That's what I love about Aikido. I'm not trying to be better than everyone else, I'm just trying to be better than I was 6 months ago.

--Ashley