Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
dps

Brrrrr Global Warming

Currently in Girard, Ohio it is 8 degrees Fahrenheit outside with a 10 mph wind.
Wind chill makes it -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

How is the global warming doing where you are at?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Brrrrr Global Warming

Just over 80 and so sunny I got sunburned in my southern california backyard.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

/jealous

Of Keith that is!
B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Around 20c this winter, and for a change it rains a few times a month.

Amir (Israel)
Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

8*F here in SW PA. Wind chills anywhere form 0 to -10 depending on if its blowing or not. Lets get the cold over with and hope for an early spring.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
lbb
United_States

Around me, it's doing a thing called "climate change", which in general has meant more extreme weather. Last summer, prolonged rains caused a total loss of some crops among local farmers. This winter, we're seeing strong and rapid fluctuations in temperature: one day the high temperature will be about 5F with strong winds, two days later it's in the lower 40s, and then back again. That is what the effect of global warming is said to be: more extreme weather, not a simple upwards change in the thermometer outside your window.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Yeah Mary I can see that. Big temp shifts in short periods of time seem more the thing here too rather than warmer or colder then usual. The temps we have today would be normal for us in February. Last week we had days in the 40's. These crazy shifts have been really hard on the horses the past couple of years.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
/jealous

Of Keith that is!
B,
R
This is really atypical of us this time of year. Been odd -- we've had some very cold nights recently, had a vicious rain storm, and now our forecast today is in the 70's again. Erratic weather.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Keith Larman
United_States

Forgot to mention -- Family from Fairbanks Alaska (my Grandfather homesteaded up there in the 1950's so most of my family is still there) have been visiting us off and on over the winter (normal -- few want to be there all winter long). They say the last few years have been no where near as cold up in Fairbanks. Now to me anything under 10 below is freaking cold, but they've been having nothing like the cold they had a decade or two ago. And this has been going on for a few years now. Heck, their 5-day forecast is showing it getting up into possibly above freezing (32F) in the next week. In January in the middle of Alaska. In the dark winter.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Mike Sigman
United_States

Generally, it gets warmer gradually after an Ice Age and then it starts getting colder as it cycles back into another Ice Age. The original premise of "Global Warming" was that we were see an extraordinary increase in warming and there was even a "hockey stick" graph-prediction to back it up. The alarming level of warming didn't happen, so now we're into some vague idea of "Climate Change", whatever that means. Since everyone knows that climate changes over time (see first sentence), I'm not sure what "Climate Change" means that is important. I suspect there is a little bit of "cognitive disconnect" going on with the sudden change from the term "Global Warming" to "Climate Change", though... sort of like the people who believe strongly that the Aliens will come in flying saucers next Thursday, but when the Aliens don't show up, that makes them even more sure that the Aliens will come.

In terms of "the weather is weirder now than it used to be", the records don't reflect that. I've seen a number of people (in various disciplines) point out that the weather is no 'weirder' now than it's ever been, but people tend to have short memories.

One thing's for sure.... this exponentially increasing number of humans on the planet definitely has a deleterious effect on the planet. It's not good. But the problem is population, not CO2. Let's restrict the amount of CO2 anyone can exhale and maybe we'll solve both problems.

Mike Sigman
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Around me, it's doing a thing called "climate change", which in general has meant more extreme weather. Last summer, prolonged rains caused a total loss of some crops among local farmers. This winter, we're seeing strong and rapid fluctuations in temperature: one day the high temperature will be about 5F with strong winds, two days later it's in the lower 40s, and then back again. That is what the effect of global warming is said to be: more extreme weather, not a simple upwards change in the thermometer outside your window.
LOL. It was called global warming but since the earth is actually on an 11 year cooling trend they needed to come up with a new environmental terrorist moniker. Climate Change. Like that doesn't constantly happen, lol. Remember a few years ago Climate Change was going to pummel the USA with relentless hurricanes. Err, that didn't happen so there were headlines that Climate Change was going to cause fewer hurricanes which was going to devastate ocean life and possible crop life in the Gulf and southeast of the USA. The definitions of the problem change faster than the climate.

Even the BBC is starting to question it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8299079.stm

There has been all sorts of litigation, investigation and ugliness concerning the IPCC, CRU and other lead agencies in the past few months. Unfortunately very little of it is covered by the USA mainstream media. Rigged peer reviews, unwillingness to disclose scientific data, researchers discussing how to avoid disclosing information requested under the Freedom of Information Act, and much, much more. The European papers are doing a much better job of covering this topic. When the American media realizes they can no longer avoid covering this topic it will be a shock to many, even though a tiny bit of digging can uncover all sorts of interesting events going on. In the end the tobacco companies are going to say 'Dang, we didn't even have the balls to hide that much data or make up that much BS.'

Mark J.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
LOL. It was called global warming but since the earth is actually on an 11 year cooling trend they needed to come up with a new environmental terrorist moniker.
I call inflammatory thread-killer...not that this thread wasn't headed there from its conception and inception.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
dps

I was only asking how was the weather where everyone was at.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Currently in Girard, Ohio it is 8 degrees Fahrenheit outside with a 10 mph wind.
Wind chill makes it -5 degrees Fahrenheit.
How is the global warming doing where you are at?
Quote:
I call inflammatory thread-killer...not that this thread wasn't headed there from its conception and inception.
Only because you are guiding it there Mary.

Quote:
David

Last edited by dps : 01-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
...they've been having nothing like the cold they had a decade or two ago. And this has been going on for a few years now. Heck, their 5-day forecast is showing it getting up into possibly above freezing (32F) in the next week. In January in the middle of Alaska. In the dark winter.
I remember when I was a kid, down here in Alabama, it would get COLD before Thanksgiving and it would stay COLD until about April.

New Year's Day here (3 days ago) was sunny and fine.

Today, it's 20 degrees.

We do still get cold snaps, but most of the winter now is like it used to be in the early fall. Maybe it's just a natural cycle that goes in like 100-year loops, but for the past 30 years or more, our winters have been increasingly mild around here.

Best to you.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 01-04-2010 at 09:26 AM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

It always amuses me how some folks fight over deck chair placement on the Titanic.

We are harming the Biosphere and you need not worry... The Earth will survive us making life unsustainable for ourselves...and for those of us who believe in James Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis (like yours truly) there's really nothing that can be done on a macro scale to stave off the huge population crash that is sure to come when any one Biological "element" grows past the point of being able to sustain itself within it's environment.

Our reliance on fossil fuels will not kill Billions of us just by changing the weather...but our over-reliance on them resulting in the collapse of most human economic life certainly will...

Consider as you read this....

Billions go to bed every night Hungry Thirsty and Broke with no means to take care of themselves or their children.

I am not a pessimist mind you...I am personally doing all I can to make my life sustainable and leave this world better than I found it...but I am only one man.

Prepare your children and your children's children for a world vastly more different than the one you were born into.

William Hazen
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
The Earth will survive us making life unsustainable for ourselves...and for those of us who believe in James Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis (like yours truly) there's really nothing that can be done on a macro scale to stave off the huge population crash that is sure to come when any one Biological "element" grows past the point of being able to sustain itself within it's environment.
The huge population theory is really kinda out of vogue and has been for awhile. Human population is totally controlable via industrialization. Every country that becomes industrialized sees it's population stabilize or even decrease in a few generations. The USA continues to grow because we allow immigration. Japan and some countries in Europe are in trouble as the amount of workers to non-workers continues to shrink at an alarming rate. Most of the U.N. estimates I have read about say the human population will peak around 12-15 billion then slide back to a sustainable 10-12 billion. The faster the entire world is industrialized the sooner the population will stabilize.

Unfortunately the Climate Control/Global Warming policies totally shut down the third world and ensure they will never industrialize and will always live in poverty. The USA is a rich country, we will always get our energy, no matter the cost, but not so for developing nations. And yes we do need to find alternate sources of energy but eco-terrorism will not get us there.

Not to mention the significant racial undertones found in the Climate Control / Global Warming policies. Ugly.

Mark J.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
those of us who believe in James Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis (like yours truly)
Take a look at Peter Ward's Medea hypothesis for another point of view.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...rst-enemy.html
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
The huge population theory is really kinda out of vogue and has been for awhile. Human population is totally controlable via industrialization. Every country that becomes industrialized sees it's population stabilize or even decrease in a few generations. The USA continues to grow because we allow immigration. Japan and some countries in Europe are in trouble as the amount of workers to non-workers continues to shrink at an alarming rate. Most of the U.N. estimates I have read about say the human population will peak around 12-15 billion then slide back to a sustainable 10-12 billion. The faster the entire world is industrialized the sooner the population will stabilize.

Unfortunately the Climate Control/Global Warming policies totally shut down the third world and ensure they will never industrialize and will always live in poverty. The USA is a rich country, we will always get our energy, no matter the cost, but not so for developing nations. And yes we do need to find alternate sources of energy but eco-terrorism will not get us there.

Not to mention the significant racial undertones found in the Climate Control / Global Warming policies. Ugly.

Mark J.
One fatal flaw in your reasoning Mark... Industrialization on every level is dependent upon oil and other fossil fuels.

http://www.collapsemovie.com/COLLAPSEMOVIE/

Most folks pass him off as a crank or conspiracy theorist but his argument is so convincing and compelling that most have to deny it because to acknowledge any portion of his reasoning would mean a drastic change in the way most people view
the world.

I am not personally a "conspiracy nut" and I found his logic very hard to refute.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 01-04-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post

Thanks Thomas for this Great Article and serious food for thought.

William Hazen
Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Most folks pass him off as a crank or conspiracy theorist but his argument is so convincing and compelling that most have to deny it because to acknowledge any portion of his reasoning would mean a drastic change in the way most people view
the world.

I am not personally a "conspiracy nut" and I found his logic very hard to refute.
Fabulous statement! It could've been written by Mark Twain.

BTW... here's a good article to read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...rs-winter-cold
Old 01-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Fabulous statement! It could've been written by Mark Twain.

BTW... here's a good article to read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...rs-winter-cold
Thanks for the article Like I said before more than half the worlds population lives in a constant state of duress due to inadequate resources...

William Hazen
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
Mike Sigman
United_States

A good statement early on in the article is "In a world growing ever hotter". Which is simply a deliberate lie by the Guardian, but hey, the Guardian is the bastion of progressivism in the UK. The problem of course is that the world isn't growing hotter.. it's getting measureably colder and the "disappearing" Arctic Ice Pack is growing thicker and thicker (we're not even going to get the ice-free pole this time that the USS Nautilus was able to surface in during the 1950's, at the peak of an earlier warming cycle).

The interesting point is that with a few years of record-breaking cold (despite the CRU guys desperately painting the numbers they gave to the IPCC and hoping to each other that more hot years will come soon), things have gotten worse and worse in the areas that will feel the cold first. The article was about one such group of people. They're not dying from heat... they're dying from cold. The people who think that cold weather is a symptom of heat are the same people who put hot water in their ice trays because they think hot water freezes faster than cold water. Ignorant.

There's stress, though, and a lot of that is simple population pressures. We need to get some countries to follow China's lead in combatting population. Cue Randy Newman's song "Political Science".

M.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post

So, human life is just a minor (and short) phase in the evolutionary existence of the life entity we call earth - makes sense to me. I have always thought that human life was really just a cancerous form that was slowly eating away at planet earth.

Since that is the natural order of things, no sense in getting too worked up about it - so, let's all just have some fun with the short time we got...

Greg
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #24
Buck
United_States

I am going to throw down some words like that Rorschach test for Global Warming- the glaciers are melting thing. Your reactions to these words are scored and interpreted by you, on what ever system you want.

End of the world theorists, this is the definitive one.

Global politics, Euro-hippies have a point.

Inaccurate weather scientist's emails, oops we did it again, no Pulitzer this year.

Mass hysteria, the sky is falling and its the media's fault.

Oh crap there is too many people, damn China.

Economy, let's recycle with the same greed and neglect.

Doomsayers rejoice- E.T. or Jesus you pick which one to save you when the sun dies out, and we all freeze to death. Or when the giant meteor hits earth killing everything on the planet. Or when the next ice age hits, or one of the other hundreds of ways man is going to die out.

Paper or plastic? Neither I will carry my groceries in bags made from hemp which is being grown in poor countries instead of sustainable crops that would wipe out hunger in the country. A hunger that was started as way to kill of the enemy tribe in a war where each side believes in the other religion and is in a struggle for power and religious superiority.

Go Green- Cha Ching $$$$$$$$, Just like wall street and the banks and all that other Ponzi scheming, ‘n thieving, and other pretty bubbles floating around a free market. The green bubble!
------------

Last edited by Buck : 01-04-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #25
Buck
United_States
Re: Brrrrr Global Warming - My Thoughts

Man isn't apart from the earth's ecosystem and it's laws. We play a part no matter what we create or do. We are part of earth's system, we are a part of it's change. It is just as the colliding tectonic plates, volcanic eruptions, fires, and other disastrous forces that shape the earth. We are people. As people, like volcanoes and stuff, we are govern by the greater laws of the planet, and nature, and are a disastrous force. Like over population consuming all the recourses and then dying off. Kind of like bacteria does with the exponential lag and stuff. It consumes and explodes in population and then when there is no more stuff to sustain massive numbers of bacteria, the colony dies. That is just one of the laws we as humans can be susceptible to obey.

The earth is constantly changing. We as humans don't like change, even though we effect it purposely or not we can't change it. Sure we slow down pollution, and other things that are adverse to our planet, like not making so much poopy and pee pee. Reducing our garabage and managing it well. And by not making nasty chemicals to clean our toilets or other unfriendly products that make our lives what they are today. We should. But we haven't it was obvious global leaders couldn't get it together, and then there is the second or third world nation that says they must pollute the earth to survive economically. There is and will be always something. We are at a point in our history where we, as humans, are on a natural course. Just as, land, being over grazed by a over-populated herd of elephants. Or the shift in weather turned a lush tropical paradise to a barren wasteland of sand. Or when tall trees in the jungles or forests block out the sun light from other plants which die or become extinct beneath the forest or jungle canopy. Or when a species of mammals or dinosaurs become extinct all without human invention, but rather the act of mother nature.

Our solar system is barren, we, earth are the oddity. We are the strange wonder, we are life. Life that takes so many interesting and different forms found so far on no other plant we know of. Maybe we are the last, or the first. But, nothing is engineered by God or man, or Mother naturet to live for ever. So we might as well make the best of it while we can, and play nice on the earth while we run our course to change it. But keep in mind we play a disastrous role on this planet that has shaped and will shape the earth. Our purpose is that we do so in order to make way for new life in the future- a theory of mine based on how SH*T happens. If the dinosaurs didn't die out, we wouldn't be here chatting on the internet.

Now am going to finish off that pint of cheap imitation lager I tried to brew myself and watch the news.