Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Kat.C
Funny things during class

I'm not sure that reading about this will be as funny as seeing it, but I have to post this as I still find myself laughing about it sometimes.Last class one of the techniques we did started out with a wrist grab and nage doing a tenkan extending uke forward, and then as uke turns to continue the attack nage does a strike to the face and enters under their arm and does a cutting motion to bring uke down and in towards nage. Well when it was my partner's turn to be nage she managed the first part well enough but when she stepped under my arm and went to cut down she bumped into me slightly and then fell over, all of a sudden she was there just sitting on the mat. A good thing she's a close friend of mine because I started laughing and just couldn't stop. It took me a couple of minutes to get myself under control. Now I've thrown a nage once or twice when they've really lost the technique but I think this is the first time one has just fallen over.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Gilles D'Hoker

Dojo: Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium
I performed an 'uchikaitennage' when my opponent did his forward roll I stepped on his ... hair. After a strange noise and a loud aaauch! I realised what I did. Lifting my foot revealed a bit of his 'front' hair!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
My instructor has very long hair and I have lost count of the amount of times his pony tail has been stepped on, twisted or knelt on.

It is quite funny to see a person get pinned by their hair!

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
I have long hair too, and last week, my instructor was demonstrating a hole in a pin, and how to close it. I was on the ground, his knees on either side of my shoulder and he said, "She can get up from here..." I tried to get up to illustrate his point, but couldn't move my head. Me: "I can't, Sensei." Him, looking down at me: "Yes you can. Just roll away." Me: "No, Sensei, I can't. Not when you're kneeling on my hair." Everyone laughed.

... I guess you had to be there.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 01-22-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Guess why I cut my hair and beard short

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 01-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
So, we were doing ni-nin randori and one of the two uke got a nice shiny bokken to play with. I was paired up with two yudansha -- I must have been 2kyu by then -- and we started.

I ended up being tori first, then the unarmed uke.

When my turn to have to bokken arrived, tori decided that taking the bokken away from me was a good idea. He then would ``drop'' the bokken in an awkward possition. It gave him time to breath while I ran, picked it up and attacked. Now, this was going over time after two hours of class and we were all shattered!

Towards the end of the two minutes, I picked the bokken and realised that tori had just thrown his first uke and was getting ready for me. So I charge, bokken above my head, screaming my best ki-ay! todate. Tori froze. I taped him on the head and said ``you're dead''. The whole class errupted into laughter. Sensei called it a night after that.

Morality: Never underestimate the power of the voice!

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #7
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
"I have long hair too, and last week, my instructor was demonstrating a hole in a pin, and how to close it. I was on the ground, his knees on either side of my shoulder and he said, "She can get up from here..." I tried to get up to illustrate his point, but couldn't move my head. Me: "I can't, Sensei." Him, looking down at me: "Yes you can. Just roll away." Me: "No, Sensei, I can't. Not when you're kneeling on my hair." Everyone laughed."

That is very funny!

This thread is great!

Its these moments in the dojo that make it all worth while. Its all about fun.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #8
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
When we first started awhile back, we had those real cheap mats over carpet. The mats were super lightweight with "handles", kind of like handles on a purse or bag.

While we were doing ukemi, one of the students stepped on this handle and did a forward roll. His foot got caught up in the handle, and the mat wrapped him up like a burrito! It was so funny to see him rolled into that mat!!!

It was really funny when it happened. I still laugh when I remember that.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
Michael Neal
The funniest thing I witnessed was an uke that passed gas very loudly when he rolled from a throw, it seemed to give him more momentum than usual.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
One time I came to class having eaten a caserole with too much onions and garlic. When I was training with one of my friends, as he attacked me as uke, I burped in his face. He literally fell down, dizzy. My best atemi ever!

Last edited by Anders Bjonback : 02-08-2004 at 04:54 PM.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 02-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #11
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi !

Once at a seminar I was trainig with vigorous

high ranking uke and I slipped a wind -

for some reason nature has gifted me with

some evil methane - he suddenly kept a comfortable distance !

Later on I told him of one of our samurai ancestors who reputedly alwas had a bad stink

in order to keep attackers at a safe distance - go figure !

I've met him since,and no he hasn't forgotten,I think he's avoiding me.

yours Chr.B.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Funny thing during class...

Once, a couple weeks ago, Sensei had shown us a technique we had not done before (or at least I didn't remember it). Anyways, with each new nage, Sensei would attack us first.

On my turn, he attacked and I didn't quite get it right. He pointed out something for me to correct and so I tried. Next attack, I go to throw him and WHAM! Down on the ground he goes like a freakin' rock!

I just KNEW I had hurt him or did something wrong. The look of shock on my face and the others nearby was hilarious (looking back on it). I asked sensei,"Oh my god... what happened? Are you alright? Did I do something wrong?" Meanwhile... he had rolled out of it, laughing the whole time, walking away shaking his head and saying "No... no! That was good! Do it again!"

Now if I could only remember what the hell I did!

Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #13
Fred Calef III
Dojo: International Karate Association/Fairbanks, Alaska
Me (a mudansha) and a yudansha were warming up during a break in a seminar and just doing a little Jiyu Waza to warm up (the mat was empty as people were still returning from lunch).

Well, as one can guess, we sped it up a bit and as I delivered a shomen strike, the yudansha switched from one throw to another where I would roll out over him. He changed a bit too slowly and I wound up bowling him and myself over into one big pile of gi and hakama. We laughed for quite awhile while entertaining various stares.

----

Fred
Old 02-26-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Michael:

It's always hard to not crack up at a seminar when someone accidently squeaks one while warming up.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
Bushi
Yesterday I tested for Ikyu, and, durring randori, I invented a new technique; I call it the, "Pick up the person that was just choking you from behind and drop them" technique.

Last edited by Bushi : 02-29-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
That could be a version of aiki otoshi or maybe ganseki otoshi (if you had them up high, like over your shoulders)

Sorry, dude...nothin' new under the sun

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 AM   #17
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy
Re: Funny things during class

About a week ago, sensei was talking about the importance of ukemi. He asked the youngest student in the class, who is about 14 how long he wanted to train in Aikido.

"A long time," the young student said.

"What is that," Sensei replied.

"I dunno... 30?" The entire class blew up in laughter, as everyone else there is either older than or quickly approaching the young student's "finish" line.

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 07-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #18
taras
United Kingdom
Talking Re: Funny things during class

We have a new student who holds a fourth dan in karate, but at our classes wears white belt. As we were doing rolls sensei attacked everyone as we came out of the last roll. As my friend came up the sensei attacked him with a shomen ... and missed a spinning elbow in the head. Very funny, no injuries
Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #19
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States

We had a young student (around age 12) who was the designated "what if???" student. During any technique he had a what if question, usually some complex situation, involving several attackers, handcuffs, machine guns, etc..... His standard question for tanto tori was " What if it's a double edged knife?" sometimes adding " What if it has spikes on the handle like in the Stallone movie Cobra?" The best one of all came during a session of grappling. The Sensei was showing how to use the gi to off balance or choke or something like that when the young man asked " What if they're naked?" Myself being around 18-20 at the time, and a bit of a smart ass, replied " If you're getting attacked by naked people, you're in the wrong place!"
Old 07-27-2004, 07:14 AM   #20
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

"What if they're naked?"
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #21
taras
United Kingdom

This is a fresh one. Yesterday we had a sensei visiting us at our dojo. He had to leave before the end of our practice. We don't have desiganted changing rooms, just a big hall where we have our mats in the middle and chairs and tables along the walls. Incidently, we had quite a few new comers training, who were not familiar with the ethiquette of bowing.

So, as one of our regular senseis said 'Now let's thank Sensei for coming here tonight' , everybody turned round to face him (only in boxer shorts by then) ... and started applauding. Noone could hear the voices of tudents and sensei behind what sounded like a massive ovation (there is a lot of echo in the hall) trying to tell them to just bow. Well, the Sensei kept serious face a bowed in responce.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 PM   #22
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Talking Re: Funny things during class

When I was in Sensei Jim Wallace's Seidokan class back in the '80s, I bought a bokken at a Jade East store in Utica, NY. The first time I bought it to class, afterwards, in the Y's locker room, Sensei Jim asked me if I'd oiled it.

"Oiled it?" I asked. "No." And I thought: Oiled it!? Who said anything about oiling it?

"Yeah," Jim said, holding it up and sighting down the back of it, "if you don't oil them, they tend to--" Then he lowered it and smiled at me. "Never mind!"

Yep, that's right, my bokken is a cheap peice of junk with a lovely warp in it.

Fast foward to 2004, and a kid in the dojo I just joined said, "Nice swords."

"Uh ..... Thanks." I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Maybe not funny, but all I could think of.

Hormat

Mas Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 PM   #23
The Molinjir
United_States

I know of a rather clumsy fellow in my dojo, he was demonstrating a technique with my sensei, and when he was thrown, he tripped over the sensei's hakama, bringing both of them to the floor

The student, needless to say, was embarrassed.

This has happened to me, but on a lesser scale, finding someone had stepped on my gi sleeve, preventing me to get up. He did not realize it, and was waiting for me to get up to start the technique again
Old 08-20-2004, 03:01 AM   #24
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

We have a student that's still in the recently-post-pubescent spiderlike stage of development - arms and legs everywhere. With a hakama on he bears a rather startling resemblance to a featherduster.
He's also darned near double-jointed; which makes some techniques rather odd when he's uke. I remember once practicing with him; I was performing katate kosa-tori kokyunage. It was working - sort of - but with those arms going off in all directions I wasn't getting the drop required for an effective finish. The resulting technique was hilarious - as he came around and his arms came up; I caught them; folded him up like a jointed ruler and then dropped him. Not much to read; but it looked funny as hell.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #25
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Lately I asked sensei about the functional meaning of hakama and he told me that's just a tradition. But later I discovered that in reality it's a very powerful weapon in the hands (or should I say on the legs) of a skilled aikidoka. My partner trapped me with his hakama while I was thrown !!!
He tryed to convince me that was done accidentally! But all right, I know he was practicing some secret technique !