Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Adam Huss

United_States
shodan shinsa vs. 1st kyu

I didn't see this in a previous discussion, but I apologize if I am regurgitating another thread:

Does anyone else's testing requirements lend to a more difficult 1st kyu test than a shodan test? Whether its amount of information required to perform, or the physical nature, I occasionally see test curriculum that most people consider 1st kyu being tougher...what are your opinions/experiences?

Disclaimer:
for organizations that have testing syllabi with "five arts" being the basis of dan testing, I understand there is the "catch all" of previous technique requirements...as well as the understanding that the testing student should progress over the course of his or her training (through the transition to henka, kaeisha waza, etc, requirements).

cheers!
~A

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
David Maidment
United Nations
Re: shodan shinsa vs. 1st kyu

I've hear it said of our organisation that 3rd kyu is the toughest test (relative to your ability at the time of testing, of course) until nidan.

And it is all relative. People tend to put so much emphasis on shodan that one typically wouldn't be allowed to test until it's known that they will almost certainly pass. With kyu grades this may not be so much the case.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: shodan shinsa vs. 1st kyu

Hi
Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
Does anyone else's testing requirements lend to a more difficult 1st kyu test than a shodan test? Whether its amount of information required to perform, or the physical nature, I occasionally see test curriculum that most people consider 1st kyu being tougher...what are your opinions/experiences?
Well in our Organisation, the German Aikido Federation (Endo Shihan and Tissier Shihan) the testing requirements increase with every grading.

So from gokyu to ikkyu there is a list of the techniques asked in the test. So you know, what you will be asked and what you have to show.

For shodan there is no such list and you have to be able to show every technique from every possible attack + tanto dori + jiyu waza against two attackers.The grading takes about the double of the time of a ikkyu test.
And of course you can fail. The grading doesn't take place in your home dojo with your own teacher but in front of a national jury. So the jury often doesn't know the examinee and his abilities.

From nidan on you have to be able to show every technique from every possible attack + tanto dori + jo dori + jo nage + tachi dori + jiyu waza against three attackers + futari dori ...
And you have to show it deeper and "better" then in the last grading.

The yondan grading is conducted by one of the shihan.

Carsten