Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2001, 12:23 PM   #1
"Sid"
IP Hash: fb52666b
Anonymous User
Hi guys. Dont laugh, but I saw this on Ripley's Believe it or not. There is this school of martial arts that claims to be able to teach you to master your ki so that you are not hurt when punched/kicked. http://www.jukokai.com/ - have a look at it and tell me what you think. Weird. They do teach aikido, though!

Sid
Old 03-11-2001, 01:27 PM   #2
Jim23
I couldn't find the combat ki info, but I enjoyed the articles regarding Jigoro Kano and combat Judo, Chijiro Yokoto's other Aikido, and many more.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 03-11-2001, 01:55 PM   #3
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
Ki Symbol

Hey,

I'm a fairly new aikidoka myself, but have become very interested in the cultivation of ki. The claims sound close to what I've been reading on Ch'i Kung. Ch'i Kung teachers are relatively few, and masters of the art even rarer. Ch'i Kung allows a person bring their body into perfect harmony, while also strengthing their organs, immune system, etc. The Ch'i Kung master almost never gets sick, but if they do they tend to heal very quickly. They have great understanding of their bodies and how to control the "life force".

I haven't researched the topic much, but this is what I've read on it so far (or at least an idea). Now, anyone can bruise, but such masters are supposedly much much harder to bruise. And, as they say, they'll heal rather quickly too.

I would guess that these martial artist focus on bringing about this harmony just as Ch'i Kung practicioners do... Of course, I am only just beginning to touch the surface of these arts.

-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."
Old 03-11-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
hit me

well,

when i was in japan, at our dojo, (Koyama sensei's Kyoto Aikikai dojo) there was one guy.
his name is Obata san.
He cam to our Aikido dojo when he was already a 4th dan in Daito Ryu.

other people used to say that his sensei taught him how to get hit but not hurt.

and really once our senpai said "ze'ev, punch him as you like"

at first i was kind of gentle, but eventualy i was punching and kicking him as hard as i could.

just to mention that i did not hit his groin not his neck and other dangerous vital points.

I must admit that it looked as if it really didnt hurt him at all.

His Aikido was fantastic and that was the only time he let our senpai let us hit him...

if you ever come accross him, please send him my regards.

ze'ev

aikikan

rehovot

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 03-11-2001, 04:45 PM   #5
mornmd
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikijitsu
Combat ki? Hmmmm.......

Sounds like Luke Skywalker time. May the force "the Ki" be with you.

Matthew
Old 03-11-2001, 10:18 PM   #6
AikidoSteve
Dojo: Foothills Aikido, Evergreen, Colorado
United_States
Very interesting! The closest I've ever come to seeing such a feat was right after I graduated from College. For 6 months I had a job as a bouncer in a bar. (Never started a fight, stopped a few, but mostly helped people find the door). Anyway, I've seen some drunks take hits that would have flatten sober folks. Maybe it was because they were so relaxed. They may have regretted the next morning, but at that moment they were still standing and swinging. In fact that part of the job use to scare me a bit, but I knew balance was on my side. I've digressed. I'm not sure why one would want the talent of being punched and kicked. I think I would prefer to master the art of getting out of the way. But I've always felt that if I got into a bad situation and got tagged, even though the other persons may be out for the count in the end, I could not declare myself the winner. To truly win is to avoid/prevent the development involving blows. However, all the best to those who can take it. ;-)

Steve Nelson
Confront the enemy with the point of your sword against his face.
-Miyamoto Musashi, "A Book of Five Rings"
Old 03-12-2001, 01:28 AM   #7
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Rod Sakarnoski

Quote:
Sid wrote:
Hi guys. Dont laugh, but I saw this on Ripley's Believe it or not. There is this school of martial arts that claims to be able to teach you to master your ki so that you are not hurt when punched/kicked. http://www.jukokai.com/ - have a look at it and tell me what you think. Weird. They do teach aikido, though!

Sid
Although he is quite a controversial figure (see many E-budo flames) Rod Sakarnoski does distribute a film which shows his students being struck full force by members of the Dallas cowboys footbal team. He sent me a copy after I had introduced myself to him as a fellow police trainer. You can see the Cowboys Punter kicking a slender young man right in the groin full power without effect and four huge fellows simultaneously punching anoher student in the throat absolutely full power. And these are the bench press 400 + pounds crowd. It is something to see and is the first time I ever got to see what was stated to be possible in the Chinese arts. Definitely makes you humble about your atemi waza and how effective it is.
Here is their version of who he is:
http://www.jukokai.com/html/jukokai/soke_bio.html

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-12-2001, 04:45 AM   #8
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
I remember watching the same episode of Ripleys believe it or not. I was pretty sceptical. There was a tae kwon do expert hitting them too, I recall.

I remember reading an interview on aikidofaq with Chiba where he was talking about having seen people get punched in throat/groin for demonstations. Actually. it's not quite clear in the article whether he'd seen it done or demonstrated it himelf. Still, interesting interview.
http://www.aikidofaq.com/chiba_interview.html

andrew
Old 03-12-2001, 09:06 AM   #9
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Combat Ki...

I looked into this a bit a long time ago, and had correspondance with a well-known martial artist who does it. I personally don't think it's really Ki training. I haven't done it, so this is just my own deduction, but from what I learned it seems to be done more with physical, breathing, and desensitization techniques. I heard nothing that made me feel that they knew anything about energy. Of course, not everything could be revealed. It's secret, you know?

There was also the fellow who was quite good at it who went into the UFC, and prompty lost.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 03-12-2001, 11:31 AM   #10
Al
Dojo: Edinburgh Ki Society 'Daitokan'
Wink

Just a little note, why would you want to be hit? Isn't the whole point of training in aikido to allow yourself not to be hit - discuss.

Al Edwards
Old 03-12-2001, 11:59 AM   #11
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Juko Kai et. al.

The first school I practiced aikido with was with Juko Kai. My former instructors and some of my fellow students have participated in Juko Kai's combat ki training. I had two opportunities to participate but I declined each time. The main thrust behind the training was to basically learn to take hits. Once a year they have a weekend clinic were their members can train and learn combat ki.

From what I have been told from my friends in my old school...They spend the whole morning preparing for taking the hits. They do meditation and ki exercises that are found in tai chi and other chi/ki related arts. They also learn how to what they call "lock in." This is basically focusing their mind and body on the point where they anticipate to get hit. The same principles of breaking boards apply to their combat ki yet instead of focusing all of one's energy to break a board they focus their energy to prevent injury to their bodies.

My only problem with their whole approach to combat ki is that they seem to really emphasize the glamour of what they are doing. For example, I attended one of the sword clinics held by Rod, and he spent much of his discussion of combat ki on how much they are getting televised. He only made a passing comment that there are spiritual reasons for doing it, too.

Some people criticize them and say that they are pulling punches and I have seen demonstrations performed by my instructors and I can say that they are not. Some say its a trick, but what they do is no more a trick than "unbendable arm" or "unliftable body" find in aikido circles.

I am no longer a member of Juko Kai as I am now very happy with my current training. So just take my opinion for what it is worth.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-12-2001, 12:14 PM   #12
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
I don't think what they do is a trick, and I know they do meditation and yogic exercises etc. I still have to question whether or not they're actually tuning into the conscious use of energy, or using the mind and body to desensitize and harden. I do know this is part of it, I was clearly told about that aspect of it. And that's very different than actually using Ki/Chi. Anyway, who wants to get hit, not me. And I know what you mean about the glamour thing, big time.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 03-12-2001, 12:21 PM   #13
giriasis
United_States
I couldn't tell you whether or not they are actually tuning into the conscious use of energy. In think they are supposed to. If they actually do, I have no clue. I never participated in the clinics, but I am relaying to you from what I have been told and observed first hand at my old school.

In my opinion there are much better ways to learn to develop one's ki than learning to get hit. That's part of reason why I did not attend their combat ki clinic.

Anne Marie
Old 03-12-2001, 01:21 PM   #14
Chris P.
Quote:
Al wrote:
Just a little note, why would you want to be hit? Isn't the whole point of training in aikido to allow yourself not to be hit - discuss.
I think the "whole point" is to end fighting on all planes of existence. Nevertheless, sometimes we get things we didn't want. Best not to keep all your eggs in the "I do Aikido so I will never get hit" basket.

Old 03-12-2001, 02:14 PM   #15
giriasis
United_States
Quote:
Al wrote:
In Juko Kai, their whole thrust for training is an all-inclusive combat training; thereby, they incoporate a variety of different arts such as karate, jujutsu, kobudo, sword (iai and ken), judo, aikido, and combat ki. Their point of combat ki isn't to improve their aikido, as their aikido training is separate from their combat ki. Their point of combat ki is to learn to not be afraid of getting hit thereby allowing yourself to be more calm in a real situation.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, them being on hype shows like Ripleys distracts from their actual purpose.

Anne Marie
Old 03-12-2001, 05:18 PM   #16
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Hey!

How come there are no pencil-necked geeks like me (in the pictures)doing this kinda stuff!?