Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #26
Buck
United_States
Re: Disrespectful?

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote: View Post
On one hand, I'd recommend attending camps and seminars as a way of experiencing other instruction and other styles, rather than the "wondering ronin" approach... .
I skimmed though the thread so I apologize for any redundancy. With that said, from my point of view is the above is a reasonable approach. Because, I have found some senseis feel it is a matter of respect to tell them. For example, your sensei might have a rival and would feel it disrespectful for you to go. There maybe bad blood between the two, not checking with your sensei could mean trouble, as Senseis are human too. Therefore, going to camps and seminars can be a way to avoid that. Especially well known and high ranked senseis with good reputations.

One caveat is camps and seminars can be expensive and it isn't like paying a mat fee, at the most ,when visiting another dojo. Doing so, can be pricy, is usually over a weekend, and a bit of travel. That can be limiting to the number of times you can go, and which places you go. But, than again, if you go to someone like Joe Thambu sensei it is worth it. It is Aikidoka such as he who really give you a good picture.

Personally I look at a sensei in the same terms as a coach, mixed with se a private lessons teacher. There is a certain level of respect and courtesy afforded to their position (in terms of being out in other dojos) If they say "no" or get upset, that doesn't mean you have to agree, or comply. But you know where the sensei stands. You just don't want to unknowingly upset an apple cart. And, if the sensei is unreasonable about it, then it is time to change dojos. I agree it is always good to check with your sensei.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
Andrew Macdonald
Re: Disrespectful?

hey man

cross training is always a good idea, even with people focusing on different thing with in on broad style.

but, i would be careful cross training too early, if you don;t have a root in one style it can be confusing to try other things. get grounded and comfortable in one thing then you can try the variations or additions