Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2003, 06:46 AM   #1
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Signs on belt

Hi everybody

I've noticed that most yudansha's have japanese signs on the ends of their black belt. What exactly would one usually write there ?

First name in katakana ?
Last name in katakana ?
both ?
'Aikido' in Kanji ?

What's the custom in your dojo ?

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 11-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Hi Jørgen!

I have a red embroidered with the word Aikido in Kanji and it looks great!. In the way I use my belt, is always in my right side.

Before beeing Yudansha, I used a white belt with aikido in kanji in black.

In my dojo there is no roule or custom anout this,.. there are people that dont have any kanji or kana,.. my sensei uses first and last name in katakana in one end and also aikido in kanji in the other,.. i think!.

What about the Hakama?

Bye!

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 11-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Quote:
What about the Hakama?
nothing on my obi, on my hakama my name in kanji (as written by my teacher), in a silver-blue color, rather muted (understated).
Old 11-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Signs on belt

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis (JJF) wrote:
What's the custom in your dojo ?
JAA registered Shodokan yudansha have a belt with (at one end) one kanji before their name (in katakana), and one after.

The name varies with the individual, sometimes first, sometimes second, sometimes even their surname in katakana preceded by a romanji initial. In my case its my first name.

The meaning was actually explained to me on this forum, by PeterR, I'm sure he won't mind if I quote his post:
Quote:
Well the kanji before the name means presented to and the kanji after the name means kun (affectionate title for little boys). Nariyama pays for the belt out of his own pocket. It is his present to you and means you have become his student. Before that you buy your own belt and you are the responsibility of others. Of course he teaches you but its sort of a line in the sand.
On the other end of the belt is the name of the wearer's home dojo. (Or in the case of JAA registered foreigners such as myself - "Shodokan Honbu")

Sean

x
Old 11-28-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Wink

I always thought they were the washing instructions

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
Esteban Martinez
Dojo: Shoshinkan Dojo
I have my first name in the left sleeve of the jacket in plain roman letters. Looks awesome.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
BLangille
I like the idea of having writing in a muted color as Rachel mentioned earlier. I was thinking of doing that on my obi. I wonder if anyone thinks it is egotistic to have ones name written on their sleeve? I would like to have my name in Kanji (or Kana??)some day
Old 11-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
I've got "not bad for a fat bloke" on mine. It was the first comment I received from a mate after I passed my second dan test.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 11-29-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
I have Aikido on one end and our school name on the other, both in gold. I have them both coming out of the right side of my hakama, with the school name (Shudokan) on top. The reason is that, Aikido means the world to me, because of all it has given me, and my school so much more, because of all the more it has given me.

Osu!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Brian Langille (BLangille) wrote:
I like the idea of having writing in a muted color as Rachel mentioned earlier. I was thinking of doing that on my obi. I wonder if anyone thinks it is egotistic to have ones name written on their sleeve? I would like to have my name in Kanji (or Kana??)some day
Hey, Rachel and I just happen to know a place here in Michigan that does a nice job of it

I have the kanji for Seidokan aikido on one end and my first initial and last name in english on the other. I have a hakama that has my first name embroidered on the back but I don't like the way that hakama fits so I never wear it.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-29-2003, 11:13 PM   #11
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
I think it's personal preference or situations. My current obi was my instructor's, so on one tail it reads "aikido" and on the other it says "tall one".

Of course, everyone laughs because I'm barely 5'7". (Sensei is over 6')

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 12-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #12
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland
On my old hakama, soon to be retired, I have my last name, but somewhat phonetically done in kanji. It reads "shin bu son" for "Simpson", but the kanji translates roughly to "grandson of true warrior" and was done to remember my Grandfather who I never got the chance to meet. My belt is blank.

I find names on gi's helpful, rather than egotistical. It's very helpful at a big seminar too, kind of like name tags at a party. Although I don't have my name on mine, my wife is threating to write it on the inside of the collar, like at camp, if I leave it around the gym again.

Jack
Old 12-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Quote:
James Ashby wrote:
I've got "not bad for a fat bloke" on mine. It was the first comment I received from a mate after I passed my second dan test.
My hero

I used to be the Administrator for a company that makes punchbags for BRYAN, Academy, et al. as well as various custom clothes, so had, and still have, free access to an embroidery machine. So for the sake of personalising my Aikido a little, the only belt I've not embroidered has been my white as I only wore it for two months. Belts so far;

Old 12-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #14
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Ian Dodkins (ian) wrote:
I always thought they were the washing instructions
Well Shodokan does mean - the bright path way.

Forgive me I originally mis-read the kanji. It actually is the same as that found in Showa and means enlightend.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido