Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Cool Re: Need Advice - Disruptive Student

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
...Lately, he bring in weapons not part of Aikido and dangerously (mocking) threatening postures toward me as part of him trying to be dominate.
You know that's ... illegal right?

You could shoot him.

What would Ueshiba have done?
Do that.
Don't forget to bury the body.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #27
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Re: Need Advice - Disruptive Student

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Don't forget to bury the body after chopping it into tiny bits.
There, fixed it for you.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #28
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
SCR:

YOU ARE THE SENSEI! This is a leadership role and you need to act in that capacity. I would frankly speak to this person privately and inform him that his actions will no longer be tolerated. If it does not stop immediately, dismiss him from the class. The students will/should rally behind you. PUSH THE ISSUE, DUE NOT LET IT FESTER!

Marc Abrams
I completely agree with Marc.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #29
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

We had a similar situation. Two students didn't like the direction I was heading...Ron and I co-teach every class and seminar. Ron is fairly traditional. I am less so.
These two students had a problem with the direction I was heading...so they decided to leave our orginization, after a couple of interesting e-mails and some posturing.
This conflict brought up some feelings for me about what I was teaching. I got a chance to reflect becuase of their resistance. This was really good for me even though I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong. Sometimes I wanted to blame them because they didn't get me.

The whole experience helped me alot. I am still teaching...I think they have stopped training. Every experience offers me a chance to become a better instuctor and student. The only thing that really matters to me is that I put on my gi and train.
Mary
Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #30
Mitchell Rister
Dojo: Aikido of Panama City
United_States

I was just wondering, what are his credentials compared to yours? It is difficult to give advice without this info. If he is a 6th dan and you are a 3rd kyu, you will get different advice than if you are a 6th dan and he is a 3rd kyu.

Either way, he should respect you and your position.

Mitch
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #31
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

To elaborate on my previous post, I remember a day when Sensei tried to correct a student, and he kept insisting that what he had done was right. When Sensei tried patiently to explain, he just cut him off and kept pleading that his technique was right, while a child could tell that it was not. So Sensei was forced to ask him to leave the mat.
He was back the next day. I was late that day, and I found him sitting alone next to the mat, looking like a lost puppy, while everybody walked past him like he did not exist. The only people willing to talk to him were the children who had been training in the far end of the room during the incident and a teenage boy who was absent that day, and had not yet learned about it. I decided to imitate the other adults, and, after the class, I learned that the guy had come to Sensei saying that he'd done nothing wrong and that he just wanted to go back to class. So he was just left sitting by himself. The next class, he did the same, and after that, we never saw him again.
What simply happened was that everybody sided with Sensei, without us needing to get together and decide to do so. This is why I do not understand that your "students" can tolerate such a behavior in their school. Did they or not ask you to teach?
Anyway, there is no way this can go on like that. Quietly tell the disruptive student to leave the class. And if the others cannot side with you, then you have no business teaching in such a place.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #32
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
You know that's ... illegal right?

You could shoot him.

What would Ueshiba have done?
Do that.
Don't forget to bury the body.
Wow I missed that.

Ya this is beyond a disruptive student. It sounds like you're trying to use a bandaid on someone who had an arm cut off.

You need to stop goofing around, get serious, get this ass banned from where you teach (read involve the police)

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #33
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I assume by now the problem has been solved. However, if I had a nut case like that in my class, he'd be bouncing down the stairs. In a situation like that, I don't care what transpires as long as that idiot was leaving, one way or another!!!! You, as a sensei (?) need to show who's who in that dojo. That twerp needs a good lesson about getting bounced out of there!!!!!