Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
jon_jankus
Dojo: aikido of westchester
knee protection

I just had some arthroscopic knee surgery done (torn meniscus) and, while I want to return to practice as soon as possible, it seems prudent to start at least temporarily using some sort of knee protection for suwari waza. I've seen a number of types, from volleyball kneepads to neoprene sleeves.

Has anyone out there any experience with these and an opinion as to what is most practical?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
DanielR
Hi Jon,

After having some persistent knee pain (from bad ukemi) I used Kneelons for a short while after seeing a reference to them on this thread. They worked ok for me. During suwari wasa training they would sometimes shift quite a bit, but would still protect the knee.

Last edited by DanielR : 12-23-2003 at 11:57 AM.

Daniel
Old 12-23-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Hi, there.

Meniscus damage is caused by flexion/compression and shearing. Neoprene sleeves provide a little external compression and warmth so while they may add "comfort" I do not see them as a reinjury prevention tool.

If your orthopedist did not refer you for physical therapy, he should have. And the PT should know that you are an athlete and should be shown the types of moves we do so that your rehab program, and any protective devices, are meaningful for what you are doing in the dojo.

If you are intent on continuing to do suwariwaza (which frankly I think ill-advised for post-meniscus folks) then the volleyball type pads (or a homemade gi-pant modification involving quilting pellon fleece lower leg sort of like a big potholder) would at least provide some cushioning.

Why I am a hardass on knee injuries

http://www.zanshinart.com/Aikido/AikiKnee.html

Best of luck

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
After my medial meniscus surgery it took quite a while before I was able to sit fully in seiza not alone do suwari waza. I would make sure it is fully healed and you are able to sit in full seize before doing much knee work. I was off the mat one month and it took a couple more before I was comfortable sitting all the way down. Medial meniscal tears are usually due to rapid flexion with external rotation of the foot. I did mine as a kid doing handsprings in tumbling. Aikido made it worse.

A good rehab program is essential. I used to wear a soft brace probably more for psychological comfort than as any preventative.