Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Developing the Aikido Eye.

This is a personal thread which may or may not be supported in writing by others. I call it a process of developement in Aikido until an attack of any kind looks simple to you.

To achieve this you must start seeing Aikido from the viewpoint of motion and harmonizing with motion. No more, no less.

When someone attacks with tsuki then all I see is a motion of energy. Energy coming straight through. When someone attacks with yokomen then I am seeing a circle or curve of energy.

Energy and motion, harmonizing with it, Aikido.

You have energy coming at you and a body in motion. If you focus or get wrapped up in the physical body then you will miss the truth of Aikido.

With this study of energy and motion comes about the awareness of the geometry of Aikido. Natural paths of energy.

With this study of energy and motion you become aware of the sources of the energy, centre, hara, one point, koshi, kokyu.

With this study of energy and motion you will become aware of the source, the true you and the the true other person with whom you are training. Devoid of identity, devoid of illusory differences.

Thus Aikido is a path back to truth. The harmonious motions of life.

Thus you discover harmonious motions, harmonious actions, harmonious intentions, harmonious being.

In the world of sounds this would be called music. In the world of moving to music this would be called dance. In the world of work this would be called organization. In the world of martial arts this would be called Aikido.

The path to peace, the meeting of heaven and earth. A devine martial art.

Regards.G.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: Developing the Aikido Eye.

Thanks Graham...I like what you wrote.

...when attacked I move...my body and mind respond...i feel me and you ....we are one...nothing else is...peace comes to us both
Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
graham christian
England

Thanks Mary.
I realize this is not so much of a topic for debate and as such probably won't have many posts so I don't expect it to be a lively thread. However I do hope some enjoy it.

Regards G.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
ronin67
Japan

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
This is a personal thread which may or may not be supported in writing by others. I call it a process of developement in Aikido until an attack of any kind looks simple to you.

To achieve this you must start seeing Aikido from the viewpoint of motion and harmonizing with motion. No more, no less.

When someone attacks with tsuki then all I see is a motion of energy. Energy coming straight through. When someone attacks with yokomen then I am seeing a circle or curve of energy.

Energy and motion, harmonizing with it, Aikido.

You have energy coming at you and a body in motion. If you focus or get wrapped up in the physical body then you will miss the truth of Aikido.

With this study of energy and motion comes about the awareness of the geometry of Aikido. Natural paths of energy.

With this study of energy and motion you become aware of the sources of the energy, centre, hara, one point, koshi, kokyu.

With this study of energy and motion you will become aware of the source, the true you and the the true other person with whom you are training. Devoid of identity, devoid of illusory differences.

Thus Aikido is a path back to truth. The harmonious motions of life.

Thus you discover harmonious motions, harmonious actions, harmonious intentions, harmonious being.

In the world of sounds this would be called music. In the world of moving to music this would be called dance. In the world of work this would be called organization. In the world of martial arts this would be called Aikido.

The path to peace, the meeting of heaven and earth. A devine martial art.

Regards.G.
Well said sir. Projection of KI and marrying your projection with the attackers energy is something that can be done, but I think a deeper understanding of KI outside the physical application of waza is needed. KI breathing increases this flow and instills the calmness needed to truly become one with a attacker, yet many (not all) Aikidoka outside of the KI Society don't touch on this deeper understanding and application of KI development and training, to the extent that would allow for this deeper understanding.

Just developing KI through the application of the different waza techniques, isn't enough (you can only go so far this way). As many Aikidoka want to say they are farmiliar with KI through the physical application of Aikido techniques, they still remain very unsure and confused when asked to explain the princlpe of KI, outside of waza applications. Yet, to truly understand the principles of KI, you must understand the daily applications of KI extension in all activities, not just doing Aikido. Many Aikidoka will say, "Yes we know this", yet don't apply it in their daily lives. I often wonder, why they don't. In comparison, it reminds me of what I see as a Christian. I talk to many who say they are Christians, yet never pick up the Holy Bible to seek a deeper understanding of God's word. Again I ask, "WHY"?

May God Bless!

"Aikido can never truly bring peace without the full understanding and application of KI ".
-Me
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
graham christian
England

Thanks Ed.
Better not go too far down the religion path it's too non-sensical no matter which religion. There again the same applies in most areas of life. It just shows that us Humans ain't too bright.

A very simplistic approach yet one that can be quite eye opening is that many are more interested in the identity rather than any expected action. All important image.

One small detail abt. me though, although I understand and use much of Toheis teachings I have never been a member of the Ki Federation it'self. I was fortunate to find a teacher who independently taught from those principles though.

Regards.G.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
ronin67
Japan

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Thanks Ed.
Better not go too far down the religion path it's too non-sensical no matter which religion. There again the same applies in most areas of life. It just shows that us Humans ain't too bright.

A very simplistic approach yet one that can be quite eye opening is that many are more interested in the identity rather than any expected action. All important image.

One small detail abt. me though, although I understand and use much of Toheis teachings I have never been a member of the Ki Federation it'self. I was fortunate to find a teacher who independently taught from those principles though.

Regards.G.
That is cool that you linked up with someone who taught Tohei Sensei's principles. Tohei Sensei did pretty much formalize and expand even further then O' Sensei did on the development of KI. Yet in the overall Aikido community, many dismiss his teachings and his style of Aikido altogether. It is truly a shame. Where O' Sensei left off when it comes to the application of KI, Tohei Sensei exbounded even further and in even more detail how to develop it. To this day it still confuses me why the Aikikai dismissed him. They had everything to learn and really nothing to lose. It is funny in a way. The art of peace and harmony, didn't help in this case. Human pride can be a bad thing sometimes.

May God bless!

Ed

"Aikido can never truly bring peace without the full understanding and application of KI ".
-Me