Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2001, 11:32 AM   #1
akiy

Videos

So, if a student at your current dojo came up to you and asked, "I was thinking of getting some aikido videos to supplement what we're doing here. Do you have any suggestions?", which videos would you recommend and why?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: Videos

Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
So, if a student at your current dojo came up to you and asked, "I was thinking of getting some aikido videos to supplement what we're doing here. Do you have any suggestions?", which videos would you recommend and why?

-- Jun
The videos that I usually recommend are the two videos on 'Ukemi' by Bruce Bookman. (It could be any video on ukemi for that matter, I just happen to have those two available to lend out)

The reason I recommend these videos is to help the newer students recognize the importance of good ukemi as a precurser to learning aikido techniques.

The fear of falling usually traps the newer student on a learning plateau. Once that fear is overcome, it frees the student to concentrate on other aspects of the class, not just worrying about hitting the ground.

Anyway, that's my slant on this topic!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 10-18-2001, 07:15 AM   #3
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
I think, personally, that aikido videos should be used as a visual reference mainly. I've only watched two, and they were both essentially silent (well, there was drumming) and they were pretty helpful. I think if narration gets further than general (and helpful) statements like "keep moving!" that it might not be the greatest thing.

The one video I have is a collection of Kihon Gi techniques preformed by a French sensei called Jaff Raji. It's about 90 minutes long and deals with attacks "sur la base de shomenuchi" (or something like that). i.e. all the attacks have the same vertical from the front kind of vibe. And it's a wonderful reference for when I've forgotten a technique.

andrew
Old 10-18-2001, 09:26 AM   #4
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Smile

I would recommend one of the bujin designs videos (although they are quite expensive).
I have one of them, the 'irimi' video. in which all that is demonstrated is iriminage.
it goes through the different ways to fall out of it, many different attacks and many different styles of technique.
its good for begginers to watch just because the techniques themselves are performed very well.
and as an instructor I enjoyed watching the different styles and getting ideas from the different movements.

I dont know what the other vids in the series are like.. but if you have a disposable income I would recommend a look (or borrow it from a friend )
Old 10-18-2001, 01:48 PM   #5
BC
We actually have a video which we offer to our members that was made a number of years ago by our late Sensei. It's pretty helpful because in it Sensei demonstrated most of the required techniques for the 5th through 3rd kyu tests (for our organization). I know I found it very helpful when I first started.

I also would recommend the 2 tape series on ukemi by Donavan Waite Sensei. I believe they are available through Aikido Today Magazine.

Last edited by BC : 10-18-2001 at 01:51 PM.

Robert Cronin
Old 10-18-2001, 04:50 PM   #6
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
o-sensei on video

First get O-Sensei demonstrations and other videos. They are the best I saw.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 10-18-2001, 09:34 PM   #7
dainippon99
Dojo: Tulsa Aikido & Jujutsu
any sort of seminar tape attainable containing a good technician.

Always be well,
Bobby David
Old 10-19-2001, 09:35 AM   #8
guest1234
It would depend on what was meant by 'supplement'. The problem with videos is, like books, some folks think what they see 'must be right' because it was published. This can be difficult to resolve when what they see is not what they are taught in the dojo.

If they want to learn perhaps new ways to do techniques, recognizing that it may not be what Sensei wants to see on the mat, then most of the 'big' names you can find via Bujin and the Aiki Journal are great.

Or if you happen to belong to an organization who follows one of those 'big names' then by all means get one of those if 'supplement' means practice more on your own. I made this recommendation to my last dojo, where more than one style of weapons was taught: mostly style 'A', but the test by the 'visiting pro senseis' was going to be style 'B'.

If they don't follow a 'big name' (or even if they do) and want primarily to be sure they are doing what sensei wants to see on the mat, then 'informal' videos of him teaching at seminars/other classes, and seniors taking tests, are to my way of thinking the best. They are not as glossy, and no special slow motion explanations, but they show you your sensei and /or sempai doing the techniques, which is as close as you get to private lessons without being there.

Sometimes I wonder about some of the 'big names' with videos out, made by some many years before...if Aikido evolves (and it did for O Sensei, so please no new 'tradition' arguements), then I wonder what those instructors now think of what they have on tape, and if they ever wish their students would stop copying it so exactly. Is it like looking at old high school yearbook pics for us? I train sometimes at a dojo belonging to a 'big name' organization, one of the senseis who in his talks stresses innovation and evolution of the art. And his videos are treated like the 10 Commandments----there will be no way other than this way. I can't help wondering if he would really want it that way.