Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #51
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States
Re: Nippon Disaster (Japan Earthquake)

Congratulations, Allen, for working together with those fine representatives of true Budo to help those in need.

Kudos to the participating dojos and organizations for their ability to find a way to combine their efforts. Thanks to Three Rivers Aikikai for contributing their facility for this fine cause.

This, hopefully, will be one of many such demonstrations of genuine humanity in action.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #52
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States

"Based on measurements made at monitoring stations in Japan and the United States, Wotawa said the iodine released from Fukushima in the first three-four days was about 20 percent of that released from Chernobyl during a ten-day period.

For Caesium-137, the figure could amount to some 50 percent."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...3?pageNumber=1

The statement "One U.N. study has estimated Chernobyl, in Ukraine, may over time cause 4,000 to 9,000 extra deaths from cancer." is propaganda.

http://www.ratical.com/radiation/Chernobyl/CRKN1MP.html
Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #53
Allen Beebe
United_States

Budo Benefit for Japan Aid 2.pdf

I think most, if not all, of the details have been worked out for the April 17th Budo Benefit for Japan Aid in Portland Oregon. Many dojos representing a variety of Budo will be presenting instruction and demonstration. Please see the attached PDF for the pertinent details.

We hope to see a lot of old friends and new friends and raise a lot of money to help a lot of people in need.

Please come!,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #54
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States

Half hour Finnish journalist's video one week after the tsunami:

Link

English transcript here.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #55
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

I received this e mail from a friend, and I just had to share it with you guys. In case some of you have read the original version, I have to say that I received this text in french, and that I asked my niece, who is an interpreter, to translate it in english, in order to share it with the maximum of people on the aikiweb.
So here it is. I'll make no comment, I'll let you tell me what you think.

A friend of mine shared this letter she received from a friend of hers, a Japanese woman.
I would now like to share it with you.
R.

Life in Sendai

Nowadays, life in Sendai is quite surreal ... But I am fortunate for being surrounded by friends who have helped me tremendously. I have also taken refuge in them since my dilapidated shack has now become fully worthy of its name!
We share everything, water, food, even supplementary heating fuel. At night we all sleep in one room, we dine at the candlelight, we share our stories. It's very beautiful, very heartwarming. During the day we try to make our homes mud and debris free.
As soon as a water point is open, people either wait in line to get supplies or remain in their car watching the news on their GPS. When water is restored in an individual's house, that person puts a sign outside their home so that others can benefit from it.
What amazes me is that there is no jostling nor looting even if people leave their front doors wide open (which is what is recommended to do during an earthquake).
Everywhere we hear, "Oh, it's like in the good old days when everybody helped one another!"
Earthquakes continue. Last night, we had one every quarter of an hour. The howling of sirens was constant as well as the roar of helicopters over our heads.
Yesterday evening, water was restored for a few hours. Today it has been restored for half the day. We were also treated to a bit of electricity this afternoon. But still, there is no gas. The improvements depend on neighborhoods. Some have water but no electricity, and others the opposite.
Nobody has showered in days. We are dirty but it's of little importance.
I like this new feeling, this disappearance, this peeling of the superfluous, everything that is not essential. Live fully, intuitively, instinctively, warmly, and survive, not as individuals but as a whole community ...
Different worlds coexist strangely.
Here, devastated homes, but there a house intact with its futons and laundry in the sun!
Over there, people are endlessly queuing for water and provisions, while others walk their dog.
Then, a few touches of great beauty. First, the silent night; no car noise. Nobody in the streets but a sky sparkling with stars. I usually can only distinguish one or two ... The mountains around Sendai stand out in silhouette, in the beautiful cool night air.
The Japanese themselves are magnificent. Each day I go home, like right now where I'm enjoying the restoration of electricity to send you this email, and every day I find new reserves and water on the threshold! Who puts them there? I have no idea!
Older men in green hats go from house to house to check if everyone is alright. Everyone makes sure you're alright.
I do not see any signs of fear. Of resignation, yes. But not of fear or panic!
However, more aftershocks are predicted, even other major earthquakes in the coming months. Indeed, the ground trembles, rolls, growls.
I'm lucky to live in an elevated and stronger neighborhood of Sendai. So far we have been relatively spared.
Yesterday evening, another gift. My friend's husband brought me provisions and water from the country.
I just realized through this experience that a cosmic stage was being completed around the world. And my heart opens more and more.
My brother asked me if I felt small and insignificant compared to what had just happened. Well no! Instead, I feel like I am part of something much bigger than me. This "rebirth" of the world is tough, yet beautiful!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #56
guest1234567
Spain

Thank you very much for sharing this letter Marie Noelle, it is beautiful
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #57
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Thank you, Marie Noelle and the orginal poster for giging me a new perspective to my day.
Mary
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #58
Allen Beebe
United_States

There was a really impressive turn out for this event, which translates into aid for Japan. Each of the arts presented (Aikido, BJJ, Judo, and Kendo) blended well with each other as did the diversity of instructors and teachings. It was great to see the various connections (historical, technical, and personal) among the different arts brought forward. It was also nice to train with folks with different backgrounds.

Thanks to everyone who's input and participation allowed for this wonderful event to happen. It certainly was an enjoyable way to do good in the world!

There is still so much need. Please continue to share what you are doing locally to help.

Thanks,
Allen

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Attachment 860

I think most, if not all, of the details have been worked out for the April 17th Budo Benefit for Japan Aid in Portland Oregon. Many dojos representing a variety of Budo will be presenting instruction and demonstration. Please see the attached PDF for the pertinent details.

We hope to see a lot of old friends and new friends and raise a lot of money to help a lot of people in need.

Please come!,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #59
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Congratulations and a huge Domoo Arigatoo to all participants, organizers, supporters and family who allowed this marvelous event to happen so wonderfully.
Looking forward to more examples of compassion and unity from the martial arts community at large over an indefinite time. The challenges facing those In Japan are not going away, and may even loom larger in the near future. Let us continue ways to help.

Kudos to all you heroes, who showed how it is done!

in oneness,