Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
stern9631
United_States
Talking Technically proficient/Tactically sound

I seem to be having a problem with techniques that involve Uke reacting to a strike that results in Uke opening themselves up to any given technique. I don't feel like I am technically proficient enough in these strikes to be viewed as a threat and thus elliciting the necessary response.

Also, I feel like I am skipping the striking aspect and going straight to the elbow, let's say. I assume I shouldn't be "attacking" the arm but getting Uke to break form thus opening themselves up to the technique.

Also, I feel like if Uke doesn't react "correctly" that my strike should be good enough to follow through on. Does this make any sense?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Re: Technically proficient/Tactically sound

yes, you're right, if you apply atemi to the face and uke doesn't move or block then it should jar them, in practice you can go slow but don't miss on purpose, if they don't move their head back move it back for them. Are you using open hand/palm or fist and are you letting them see it? Uke has to see the "hand of death" in order to be afraid of it.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Jordan Steele

Atemi strikes have two purposes....distraction and destruction. They must be practiced with committed intent as well. The post before mine was totally correct. "If uke doesn't move, make them."
Old 06-11-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

I agree with Chad and Jordan, but have always wondered: how does atemi relate to what O-Sensei taught, especially about non-resistence (http://www.aikiweb.com/general/founder.html). Just a thought, but still.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

The aikido literature has a lot of references on the issue of atemi. If the thing ever gets published, I have an article coming out on the topic supposedly in August issue of black belt magazine (that was my latest contact anyway).

Your point about O'Sensei is well taken but his students state he placed great importance on atemi. The current Doshu's book describes atemi as strikes to vital points. I would submit that to distract and destroy are but a part: positioning the body for a technique and alterning the nervous system are two other elements.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #6
Jordan Steele

My teacher's instructor was Chiba Sensei(uchideshi of o'sensei). I have heard many stories that O'sensei presented Aikido as a peaceful and delicate art that did not require violence to overcome an opponent, but during uchideshi and kenshusei training he beat the crap out of the students. If they didn't move properly, they got hit....HARD. Atemi is martial arts, the rest is just icing on the cake.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:59 AM   #7
jgros

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
I agree with Chad and Jordan, but have always wondered: how does atemi relate to what O-Sensei taught, especially about non-resistence. Just a thought, but still.
I started to write a long post but then remembered last time how, because of the particular way I say things, they got taken out of context and were completely twisted around. I really dont feel like angering anyone today.

In my opinion, atemi is a subset of irimi. Either the uke knows to react accordingly, or gets damaged in either case.
So the better question is, do you consider irimi resistance?
I wouldnt, as the wave can go around the rock (tenkan) just as easily as it can go over it (irimi). Damn, it seems no matter what I do, everything I say sounds like philosophical jibberish.

I also agree. As stated before, when the intent is shown you must react. Whether or not an attack comes is of no consequence. If he attacks, you get your choice of irimi or tenkan. If he doesnt, or feints, I would think irimi would be the best option; since if you are approaching your attacker, and he is doing nothing, you are close anyways, so you might as well irimi. If he attacks by himself, you get the choice of irimi or tenkan. If not, you choose what option doesnt leave you open to the next attacker (i.e. if you choose tenkan, it may take too long before the next attacker arrives, and if you choose irimi, you may find that your attackers are getting up too close to you, and start to surround you).

I would say that atemi is not necessary for one attacker, but could make your life easier. Destruction or destraction as posted earlier. With multiple attackers, I would think that it makes the impossible possible for us non-superman types. I do admit, that if you do a good mix of irimi and tenkan, you can balance your attackers so you only have to face one at a time. But just think, anytime that you need it, irimi can turn into atemi. Using atemi instead of irimi can help remedy some of the classical problems listed above.

ok thats sort of long, but not too long.
*cringes* Please dont hurt me.

jgros
Old 06-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #8
Chad Sloman

United_States

you could always accidently-on-purpose jack somebody in the face next time they don't react to atemi and apologize profusely afterward, but I guarantee they'll move the next time

BTW, that was half in jest before I get flamed......... , I've never done that

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Jordan Steele

Like your style Chad!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center

I agree with Jordan. Chads got the right idea. I always learn fastest with a bloody nose.

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson
Old 06-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #11
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao

Well, I got hit in the nuts by two different people now. They had a point to prove. And somewhere they both were right. But not everybody takes it the right way. I would first think about whether ur training partner will take it like a sport. If he doesn't it could lead to mean accidents. Someone who's hurt physically doesn't always see it as way of correcting, but as one of humiliation (negative, nothing to do with making somebody more humble, but trying to take away his worth). What if he doesn't show his anger through conversation, but decides to crank ur arm out of its socket during a pin? Just my 2 cents...

Gambatte!!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:34 AM   #12
Chad Sloman

United_States

Actually I should have noted before that usually if I'm going to come at somebody I will warn them before the technique. For instance if I don't think somebody's reacting to my atemi then I will tell them, "hey, next time I'm going to punch you in the nuts" or "next time I'm really going to punch you in the face, protect yourself" or just tell your partner to protect themselves if you don't want to give the atemi away. But if you warn them ahead of time, they have less justification for getting pissed if you land something that hurts them.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:18 AM   #13
stern9631
United_States

[quote=Are you using open hand/palm or fist and are you letting them see it? Uke has to see the "hand of death" in order to be afraid of it.[/QUOTE]

Neither. There is no training on the strike. This is why I am a little confused. I train on my own for striking, but I don't want to have to re-learn a technique to add a strike. I will address this with my sensei. Thanks for all of youer responses!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #14
John Boswell

United_States

All things are relative when it comes to atemi, imho.

When a person is first learning aikido, they need to learn what an opening is. Standing in a horse stance with the jewels sitting right there is a good way to get racked. Newbies need to understand these things.

As training progresses, vital points need to be pointed out and shown why they are important. When sensei is cutting someone over into ikkyo... that's one thing. When sensei does the same thing, but first captures the uke's balance with a good atemi... that is another; and it should be taught early on. Expected on tests? Maybe not... but the student should be exposed to it.

As time goes further on, resistence is applied by the uke to ensure that the nage (student) is in fact doing the technique properly. Atemi-waza is very effective here and though you do not HAVE to land a punch, that one is indicated should be sufficent for the uke in "practice" to react to.

Now then... advance practice SHOULD involve atemi-waza. Why? A) So nage can execute it and get it to work effectively and B) So uke can defend against it and protect himself at all times, even during hearvy practice (i.e. randori, jiyu-waza, etc.)

Okay. Let's look now at the question of or Aiki. Does atemi-waza go against the desire of the founder and his "Art of Peace?" Some say this is so. I say if you subscribe to that line of thinking, you are kidding yourself and are not learning aikido. That's nambie-pambie way and not THE Way. See, that's the problem with society these days: people want to "counsel" bullies and psycoanalyze them and find out that they were abused as a child and that THAT is why they bully kids, etc. etc. Bull. When I was growing up, when you defended yourself and stood up to the bullies, you earned respect. Sure, you both went ot the office and got paddled, but you didn't have to deal with them afterward

"Spare the rod, spoil the child." I hated that as a child... but now that I'm grown and can look back on it, I see it as a nessecary in the world.

Did I get a bit off the subject? I don't think so... just looking at a much broader picture. Hope you can see it too.

Last edited by John Boswell : 06-14-2004 at 02:04 PM.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Go John!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #16
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

What if a nage who is highly skilled in atemi-waza can execute the technique WITHOUT any atemi?
For what it is worth, my first post, like this one, is simply raising the question...mostly because I am not convinced one way or the other as to how or where atemi fits in to my (limited) understanding and practice of Aikido. Perhaps one day it will all be clear to me.

Cheers.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #17
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

There are pros and cons with atemi...

some people will use it as a cover for technique that is lacking in other ways...

Some people will use it to bully...

Some people feel that you already know how to hit since you were a child...they do aikido to learn other things...

Some people feel that in a serious non-cooperative situation technique without it will fail...

Or is unrealistic anyway...

But when all is said and done, I personally think it should be integral to the many stages of a technique. Yoshinkan basic technique tends to use one focused atemi at specific openings...I've seen others (Ellis Amdur amoung them) show multiple spots in one technique where atemi can be used. I kind of like both approaches. Even the styles that don't focus on atemi the way we do have a lot to show me about other ways of closing shite's openings (different ma ai, alternative methods and places for kuzushi, different methods and places for awase, etc).

In the end, it can all teach you something...learn it all. Then apply what you see fit, when you see fit.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #18
stern9631
United_States

So, does anyone practice jab/cross/hook from western style boxing? I find it to be very complementary. Although, I am working on my proficiency and timing
Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
aikidoc
United_States

Even though aikido does not always train to strike the openings or vital points when you seriously look at the technique you can see the opportunity for multiple strikes throughout a technique. This is sort of like some styles of karate like Ryukyu Kempo/Tuite where they show all the strikes to vital points inherent in the forms or katas. As an example, I can think of two atemi strikes that can be performed without disrupting the flow off a tenkan blend against a munetsuki strike. One may be obvious the other more subtle. They can be done with speed and power causing either pain compliance or possibly numbness in the arm. It makes them more compliant for kotegaeshi.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #20
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
What if a nage who is highly skilled in atemi-waza can execute the technique WITHOUT any atemi?
Then I'd have to say that the atemi wasn't needed.

I've found that most of what we do is to lead up to the next part of a movement until there is no place else to go (final lock, pin or throw). Atemi is one way to start that process, or to affect your opponent during a technique. If your opponent is already moving in the direction you want them to then I would suggest not distracting them and have them possibly start to move in a direction you don't want them to go.

My opinion is that if the atemi takes 'em out then the technique is over. Use it when you need your opponent to do something or move somewhere they aren't already going. If you don't need it, then don't use it. Techniques that consistantly start with an atemi or have atemi taught within the technique have it there for a reason.

During training it's probably not a good idea to try and take a person out with every atemi (after all, it will be their turn next) but make sure they know that they should have blocked.

Just a thought or maybe even two...

--Michael