Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
arwynrees
Late starter

Hi.My Name is Arwyn Rees and I live in the South West of England .I'm probably amongst the oldest on the site at 65.My back ground was ,essentialy,as a Phisical Training instructor with the Royal Marines in which I served for 26 years.On completion of my service I qualified as Chartered Physiotherapist which I retired from last year.My interest in aikido stems from the fact that Unarmed Combat, as taught in the Royal Marines ,was Aikido based but through pressure of work I was unable to persue a deeper interest in an art that I found facinating.The rigours of a very active life has left me with it's attendant injuries.Although I am quite capable of rehabilitating myself by virtue of my Phsio' background,I felt that I needed a more diciplined and objective approach to my efforts.I have many questions in this quest which I shall be asking in the forum.

Regards to you all. Arwyn.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Late starter

Welcome to Aikiweb, Arwyn! There are plenty of answers, both new and old, to be had. Lots of good reading, some noise and repetition, but that never hurts assimilation. One of my favorite time wasters is checking out the related threads which are listed at the bottom of each thread. You can find some illuminating tangents that way, and it makes for good lurking, and is a great place to discover both answers, and new questions. See you around.

michael.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Hi Arwyn,

where in the SW are you? Are you training now or considering starting? You maybe amongst the oldest, but there are plenty of us old codgers here that are not too far behind you

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Arwyn,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Okay, yes you actually started later than I did.
Welcome from another old timer.
I look forward to hearing from you and proving that us older folks can do this too.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #6
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Greetings and Welcome, Sir.....I am more than a few years behind you (51), and retired from the Army. I look forward to hearing thoughts on Aikido.

Miku-san
Old 12-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
michael_rath
Dojo: none
United_States

Hello Arwyn,

It's never too late to get in. Aikido is a great pick for you as well. I love it because unlike many other "hard" styles of martial arts this is based on the attacker's momentum. Any body can use it and it should work on any opponent or attacker. You made the right decision.

Michael
Old 12-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
arwynrees

Thank you all for your kind welcome and comments.Mark Freeman who was one that welcomed me ,lives very close to my home and has invited me to his club for a visit and chat on further direction in my aims.My first step will soon be taken in putting this 'overused ' body back together again in the hope that some kind of quality function can be resurrected once again.

Many thanks , Regards Arwyn