Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
JW2
Wisdom of the Body

Hi all,
I am a first time poster, but I have read many of the threads with interest. I recently came across the concept of wisdom of the body which also breaks down into wisdom of the joints such as the shoulders or hips, etc. I haven't been able to find much useful information about this so I thought I would ask the forum.

I understand that all techniques need to be taught by a qualified instruction and I am not asking for anyone to volunteer. I would just like to know where I might find more information about the subject. Or if someone has been trained in these concepts and techniques and is willing to share some of their knowledge, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your help.
James
Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
thisisnotreal

Re: Wisdom of the Body

hi,

I think this is a great topic...but I'm not sure it is something we can 'talk about' online..I think that finding a teacher who sees the body in this way...could open this up .. and make it come alive...as you suggest.

I think the phrase 'wisdom of the body', 'wisdom of the shoulder', etc...comes from CMA, not so much Aikido... right?
Sometimes you stumble upon interesting reads .. like for the hips/kua...
I liked that site. Also; Joseph Chen's vids online may be of interest to you...he talks about mechanics and mechanisms of the body.
But ... this is not Aikido related. I don't necessarily know of a teacher who teaches like that. I would like to though..

Personally; thinking that one possible approach on how to learn more about this yourself...is to try to perfect any problem in your body....and/or physio websites; learning all the things that can go wrong...."corrective exercises", and their rationale...another approach is 'listening inside'...another .... finding 'biomechanically perfect movement', whatever the heck that is...(i.e. no grinding of the joints,.....no power leakage...optimal power transfer.. or a feeling of the 'body in suspension' (to steal a phrase)...internal balance held perfectly....a 'lightness'...and no slouching obviously..). learning from others' mistakes..

one example, i learned about; wrt 'The Big Toe' is due to the so-called windlass mechanism of the foot and fascial lines... and it's possible malfunctions
this is waaay big; but here is an interesting read; here< ...in this case the guy started to learn about the wisdom of the big toe, by finding out what the heck happens when the big toe stiffens' up ...and has limited movement. i found it interesting. maybe for you it is like watching paint drying.
: ]

just some ideas for ya.
Josh
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

Im fascinated by this as well. The way I understand this wisdom of the body is that your body will tell you if the techniques feel right, or that it is being pushed too much.
I feel that i, too need to meet someone in the future and learn about how to listen more to what my body is telling me.
I read about Wendy Palmer's "The Intuitive Body" for a start, but I find materials towards this direction (Aikido and body awareness and wisdom) sadly lacking.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Stella Fuentes wrote: View Post
Im fascinated by this as well. The way I understand this wisdom of the body is that your body will tell you if the techniques feel right, or that it is being pushed too much.
I feel that i, too need to meet someone in the future and learn about how to listen more to what my body is telling me.
I read about Wendy Palmer's "The Intuitive Body" for a start, but I find materials towards this direction (Aikido and body awareness and wisdom) sadly lacking.
What I've experienced thus far is that this wisdom is easiest to access through taiji and its concepts. Josh's post includes material on the kua, which is from taiji. Even Marielle sensei, who we both know, grounds her aikido in what are essentially taiji ideas.

Last edited by raul rodrigo : 07-27-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Josh Philipson wrote: View Post
hi,

I think the phrase 'wisdom of the body', 'wisdom of the shoulder', etc...comes from CMA, not so much Aikido... right?
Sometimes you stumble upon interesting reads .. like for the hips/kua...
I liked that site. Also; Joseph Chen's vids online may be of interest to you...he talks about mechanics and mechanisms of the body.
But ... this is not Aikido related. I don't necessarily know of a teacher who teaches like that. I would like to though..

just some ideas for ya.
Josh
Very interesting points on some principles and concepts of kua usage for the development of IP at the referenced link

Greg