Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Håkan Hagström
Dojo: Seishinkai Ekenäs
Finland
Guest training in Istanbul, Turkey?

I'll most probably be going to Istanbul on Monday to work for two weeks. I'm thinking about trying to find a dojo there that I might be able to join in training during the time (although I don't know yet if I will have any free time). I'm only 6.kyu and my style is Aikikai. I haven't trained at any other dojo than my own yet, so I don't know so much about these things.

I tried the dojo search function here and it gave 28 hits. The problem was that some were duplicates, some were other styles, some hadn't been updated in years and those that had a homepage were mostly in turkish (of course).

Do you think any dojo would be interested in allowing a 6kyu to come training as a guest? Would the language barrier create any problem? Anything else that might differ between training in Finland and Turkey or anything more I should think of as a guest in a dojo? And most importantly; is there any particular dojo that you would recommend?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Guest training in Istanbul, Turkey?

Dear Hakan,

try www.aikimode.com or www.aikido.itu.edu.tr. They are two different dojos, but they have the same teacher, Oğuzhan Başkurt, who is a quite dynamic teacher and moreover a friendly and nice person. As one of these is a university club and the other derived from it, the majority of members are young men, but there are also some women and older guys training, so if you don't belong to the young man category you won't feel excluded (I don't, either...).

I go to Turkey every summer for two months, and I always train there as a regular member.

You will find their training hours on the respective websites, and also contact addresses. And as many of the members are students, you'd normally get through with English.

If you are a 6th kyu, colour issues shouldn't be a problem - but in many Turkish dojos they don't have the colour code. You are just white until you get brown...and they pronounce the Japanese names a slight bit different from what I'm used to. But not so differently that you wouldn't understand.

There is also another dojo, Sakura dojo of the Haliç University. I never trained there, but they came over one day with a bunch of students plus the teacher to attend a Tissier seminar, so I trained with them just for the pleasure of speaking Turkish during an aikido seminar in Belgium and found them rather nice. You'd find their dojo on facebook or if you just put "Sakura dojo istanbul" or something like this in google.

All dojos I mentioned are in central parts of European Istanbul; in fact the aikimode dojo is some steps away from the Osmanbey metro station.

Wish you much fun in Istanbul!

Eva
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Håkan Hagström
Finland

Thanks for the tips! I sent a mail to Aikimode, asking if it would be OK for me to join their training. I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to broaden my horizons!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Håkan Hagström
Finland

It turned out I was booked into a hotel on the asian side, in the Kartal district. Anyway, I found Aikido Spor Kulübü only 3 km from my hotel, that I thought I might try.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Norton

www.aikidoturkey.com

Which is the place I used to go when I was in Istanbul, now that I'm in Ankara and I go to my instructor's dojo, which is run by two of his 3rd dan students. But his dojo in Istanbul is in the European side.