Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Theijuiel
United_States
Question about entering the dojo for the first time.

I did a quick search for dojo etiquette and didn't find a thread for it.

I'm starting out as an uchideshi with a goal to stay for 2 years and was wondering what is the etiquette when greeting the sensei for the first time. Could I get a gift as a way to thank the sensei for her time and allowing me to be accepted in the dojo? If so, what gift is acceptable?

Justin
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Question about entering the dojo for the first time.

Quote:
Justin Tyle wrote: View Post

I'm starting out as an uchideshi with a goal to stay for 2 years and was wondering what is the etiquette when greeting the sensei for the first time. Could I get a gift as a way to thank the sensei for her time and allowing me to be accepted in the dojo? If so, what gift is acceptable?

Justin
Offering oneself IS the gift. After your term is up then a parting gift is in order.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Put yourself in the position of the sensei and ask yourself what you would appreciate. My suggestion would be typical food from your home area.

About etiquette just be polite and natural. Good luck.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Ellis Amdur

Depends what country. I'm assuming Japan. If so, you bring something like a package of fruit. Six high-quality Japanese pears, for example. The idea is that you bring something that will be a) welcome b) NOT too expensive. Because if you give the teacher something expensive, you will be "trying" to set up an obligation on from him to you. Inexpensive, but tasteful (literally, in this case) is welcome.

If you give too much thought into it, you put the teacher in an awkward position - you've perhaps given something he or she doesn't like - what do they do with that?

For example, when I was 25, I gave two teachers a Japanese translation of Journey to Ixtlan, thinking it would be meaningful. A book that influenced me - to share what was in my heart! (as if they cared!)
I got the following:
Teacher #1 - "I hated that book. If that Carlos guy was my student, I'd beat him to a pulp, leave him by the road, and be finished with him. What was wrong with those people? And - what's wrong with you that you liked that?"

Teacher #2 - a small smile. "Ellis-san. The rule of life is the student does not take it upon himself to teach the teacher." (and he gave it back).

Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Just be yourself and be humble.

If you entered mine you would have have to say 'yo whassup, bow, and smile. Ha, ha.

Regards.G.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
kewms

Presumably you have a contact at the dojo where you'll be training. Ask that person to guide you.

Katherine
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
gates

Is this a Japan uchideshi trip?
Her time? Pat Hendricks?

not tacky crap
not too expensive
not trying too hard
something local from your home town
well wrapped

& Sake (wrapped) for the kamidana (Shinto alter) if a traditional dojo

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

just go there, bow as you enter the mat, bow to your sensei and thank him/her for accepting you
Be friendly to everyone! Oh, and in the cerimonial (im not sure how to spell it in english), just do as everyone does
Ask your sensei what to do, how to behave... sometimes diffrent dojos have diffrent ettiquete codes

Train hard and have fun!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Theijuiel
United_States

Thanks for your responses.

I'm heading to North Berkeley, USA to train under Kayla Feder Sensei. I've just been in contact with her through emails and I keep my emails short.

I had a few other questions as well.

Feder told me to bring a few things that I NEED, such as clothes and toiletries.Would just a backpack, carry-on and sleeping bag be small enough to live in the dojo for two years? Should I bring my electronic equipment? (Tablet, phone + chargers.)

Justin
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
For example, when I was 25, I gave two teachers a Japanese translation of Journey to Ixtlan, thinking it would be meaningful. A book that influenced me - to share what was in my heart! (as if they cared!)
I got the following:
Teacher #1 - "I hated that book. If that Carlos guy was my student, I'd beat him to a pulp, leave him by the road, and be finished with him. What was wrong with those people? And - what's wrong with you that you liked that?"

Teacher #2 - a small smile. "Ellis-san. The rule of life is the student does not take it upon himself to teach the teacher." (and he gave it back).
Who they were, if you don't mind to tell?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
kewms

Quote:
Feder told me to bring a few things that I NEED, such as clothes and toiletries.Would just a backpack, carry-on and sleeping bag be small enough to live in the dojo for two years? Should I bring my electronic equipment? (Tablet, phone + chargers.)
Presumably, your family would like to have some contact with you during this time, so bringing a phone would not be unreasonable.

On the other hand, part of the point of this kind of program is to live simply, with very few commitments beyond eating, sleeping, and training. If you have enough time and energy to spend a lot of time surfing the internet, the program probably isn't doing its job.

There's also the matter of security for expensive electronic gadgets.

Katherine
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Ellis Amdur

Re your question, Demetrio. Not aikido people.

And Justin: OH! You are going to Kayla Feder's school? That's different. Just ask Feder sensei! Or whomever she's delegated to manage uchi-deshi's entry into the school.

The rigor of your practice and discipline will surely the equal of any Japanese dojo. But she is a kind and direct human being. Rather than asking here what we think you might need, it is quite in order to ask, explicitly, what you need! All you'll get is answers.

Ellis Amdur

Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Theijuiel
United_States

The tablet is going to be used as my eBook storage, about 5 gigs of books. I have no intentions of using it for social media sites, just for books. I plan to cut myself off from the world while I'm training there, barring emergency calls from family.

Justin
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Re your question, Demetrio. Not aikido people.
Food for tought.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

What Ellis said. Kayla is both a wonderful teacher and a wonderful person.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Theijuiel
United_States

Quote:
And Justin: OH! You are going to Kayla Feder's school? That's different. Just ask Feder sensei! Or whomever she's delegated to manage uchi-deshi's entry into the school.

Ellis Amdur
I'd like to do that but the way my brain takes in information and the way I talk to people prevents me from doing that. I get kinda brain dead when I try to write emails, so a forum works out much better for me in the long run.

Justin
Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Theijuiel
United_States

To elaborate; I contracted meningitis at the age of two, as a result, it left me with 12% speech recognition in my left ear and none in my right. Since that disease causes the brain to swell and become damaged, my brain processes information differently.

Justin
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
aikidoka81

Singapore

Quote:

Justin
Just bow to the sensei and introduce yourself. If you want to give the sensei gifts,
a gift of fruits would do very nicely.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

One newer fails with quality chocolate...

- Jřrgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration