Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #26
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Koichi Tohei Sensei has passed away

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
My mother passed away 3 weeks ago. She wasn't the perfect mother and I wasn't a perfect son. I choose to remember the positive side of her and encourage my siblings to do the same.

I only know Koichi Tohei sensei from the aikido books I read in the late 70s and I only found out in 1993 that he was no longer in Aikikai when I started training Aikido. There are lot of positiveness from him/about him that I read and hope to remember his legacy in such light.

God bless his soul and may he rest in peace/aiki.
David,
My condolences on the loss of your mother.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:03 AM   #27
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Nonetheless, we also owe him and his legacy careful scrutiny and honest research before worshipping or deifying him further.
Yes agreed.

A great man and a great character study.

We are all human.

Integration of this stuff into our identity and walking our talk in our everyday life is a lot harder that many think.

I remember sitting at the Aiki Expo watching some people. A very wise Sensei suggested we were above that. I had to admit I was not and went over for a look myself.

There will be stories to tell when we each pass away.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #28
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

From me, too, my sympathy on the loss of your mother. My parents died in a car crash over sixteen years ago, in their eighties, and I still miss them. Although I read those same books as you, we argued anyway, but I know they and I loved each other a lot.

I became co guardian of one of my older brothers (the oldest is his other co guardian) who is in "Special Olympics." We argue too but we care about each other too. This past year I remembered one of Tohei Sensei's famous quotes and have been reminding my brother (and of course myself...) "Plus calls plus, minus calls minus"

Just sharing a quote, David, and thanks for writing a heartfelt post.

My family's and my sympathy to the Tohei family and to the students and friends, I am very happy that the teachings are still passed on through many Aikido groups today, officially and unofficially! It is indeed a great legacy. And it is a gift to the future that Tohei Sensei's son is continuing to develop it. Thank you, all of you.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #29
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

(Dr. Seiser and I posted simultaneously ..... I'm a fan of his columns it's always good to think about what he has to say....)
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Koichi Tohei Sensei has passed away

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Francis:

I do not think that many people really turn a blind-eye to faults that Tohei Sensei had (we all share in that fault category for that matter). I was having a conversation with Imaizumi Sensei's wife last night and she talked about how the news of his passing flooded her with good and bad memories.....

A simple acknowledgment of the positive was for me, an act of respect. As you noted, the discord on both sides of the Ki Society and Aikikai divide will sadly not be mended by his passing. Maybe, allowing the sharing of positive notes might help easy all of the negativity so that future generations might endeavor to bridge the gaps created by strong individuals during turbulent times.

Regards,
marc abrams
Nice thoughts Marc, thank you.

It also sadly won't be mended by those who feel it's their place, duty, agenda, whatever to scratch old scars in public or focus on the feet of clay of a person who lived a remarkable life.

That great men or women often have difficult and complex stories is nothing new. Much the same can be said of O-sensei and in those terms, I believe Tohei Sensei is in good company along with other giants like Tempu Nakamura Sensei.

It's greatly appreciated those that have been respectful at a time when the Ki Society is mourning the loss of it's founder. Personally, a very sad time, because it causes me to reflect on many of his students I knew personally very well and who through them he had a huge impact on my life and who themselves are no longer here as well. As their uke, I became his uke. Their positive example was a reflection of his positive example. The memories they shared and confidences they gave I greatly appreciated and will remember in my view of his legacy. His teachings are at the center of my Aikido and will always remain so.

-
Quote:
Every element of our physical and mental being came from the same fundamental particles. When we die we will go back to that source, to being those same fundamental particles. We are all connected in this way. We are very fortunate to be born as human beings, beings with a choice in how we deal with life and other people. We can choose to deal with life in a positive way. Everyone has problems; it is how we deal with those problems that make the difference in our lives. We can choose to be a positive guiding force and help other people. Plants and animals do not have this choice.
-

Thank you, Sensei

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
David,
My condolences on the loss of your mother.
Thank you.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
From me, too, my sympathy on the loss of your mother.
Thanks, Diana.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #33
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

I wish to add my condolences to a great teacher. Also to his family and fiends and all who respected him.

I admire greatness and he truly fitted the bill. His legacy lives on and improves peoples lives. What better gift can a person leave.

I am actually shocked and saddened by anyone bringing character references into play at this time. Shame.

It opens a door for me to a personal view for those people, a truth I hold dear.

So called splits and rifts are a fallacy. Things created by ego and a lack of understanding a truth of life.

When a person reaches a level of 'mastery' it is the natural way for them to then form, build, create their own 'universe' version, way.
There is no betrayal or anything else, there is only the natural way.
Some are responsible enough and indeed lucky enough to be capable and able enough to do so.

Any organization should be proud to see such a person doing so.

I will not debate this issue, especially here on this thread, but only say that is part of my reason for respecting Tohei Sensei as a GREAT person who will be sorely missed.

Respect.G.