Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Thomas Campbell
The Deep Front Line

Thanks to Sean Wood for the link.

http://www.shikon.com/2011/12/the-se...ep-front-line/
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Thomas Campbell
Re: The Deep Front Line

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/attach...8&d=1201930190
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
jdostie
Dojo: Aikido of Livermore
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing comments from the likes of Dan Harden etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Thomas:

You look simply marvelous in that picture!

Marc Abrams

Ps. Great post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Thomas:

You look simply marvelous in that picture!

Marc Abrams

Ps. Great post
Yeah, that is the way I always envisioned him

Greg
Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

I like it. If for no other reason then the use of the word 'soften', although there is more to it than that but that is worth it. I would like to see more about the conntection of the spine and the deep front line but there is only so much one can do in a single article. Thanks for sharing.

Take care,

Mark J.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Lee Salzman

Quote:
The Article wrote:
Once you have released the core and become mindful of its true location you can now begin to learn to how to move using it. The Deep Front Line can be suspended, compressed, opened, closed and spiraled all of which generate power and movement. There are lots of methods within the Martial Arts to learn the these skills Goju Ryu has “Sink, Swallow, Float and Spit” whilst in Yang style Tai Chi you may use “Soften, Loosen and Empty Push”. Regardless of the method without the initial awareness and skills transmitted through Nei Gong the chances of you truly grasping the potential locked deep inside the Core in extremely unlikely.
I guess that seems a little backward to me. Exploring how the body moves and what it can do allows to, in reverse, find the commonality between all those various things felt inside the body and distill principles from that internal experience, rather than projecting a false robotic model onto the body.

The softening principle, as he puts it, seems a little backward too. Why soften for the sake of softening? Like in that aiki-ju and aiki-in-yo-ho picture Tom showed, if you have tension that goes across those lines, rather than through, you have stiffness that prevents those lines from being flexible and mobile. But without force running through them, you are a mushy bag of bones with no integrity. I like rather the distinction of "clumsy" force and trained force - the difference between force that goes through the pathway/stays inside the body, rather than force that breaks the body or rather collapses it at points along the pathway.

The more I learn to drive force through, the less misdirected force (= "tension") I need anywhere else, and beyond that, the more I learn what to drive that force with. Softness becomes the perceived effect, not the cause.

I've tried to learn the reverse way before - just stand there and relax for an hour, or just lie there on the floor for an hour and don't move, or just walk in that circle for an hour, or... But, eh, never got anywhere that way for me - how was I supposed to experience the totality of a feeling without having surveyed all of the parts - like trying to figure out what was shown in a 1000 piece puzzle when you're only ever allowed to look at one piece?

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 03-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.