Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-30-2002, 10:57 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: eaa0854f
Anonymous User
Eek! A revealing experience.

Hmm . . . not really sure how to start, so I'll get right to the point. Partnered up with a woman last night and at some point, while she was uke, her breast popped out of her jacket. After class she told me that she never wears a bra during training, for reasons of comfort. Has this ever happened to anyone else? And for the women, do you know if this practice is common?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:36 PM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Have a look at this old thread, there was a lot of conversation on a similar topic

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1916

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-01-2002, 03:04 AM   #3
mike lee
milk and honey

Mammary glands sustain young lives.

Puritainism shouldn't be taken beyond
common sense.

Old 10-01-2002, 03:27 AM   #4
Ta Kung
Well, I never wear underwear when I practise, and sometimes when I least expect it my... never mind, just kidding.

I thought women would prefer being a bit uncomfortable, rather then flashing their jumblies in class.

/Patrik
Old 10-01-2002, 06:29 AM   #5
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 19f8a452
Anonymous User
I get a wedgie if I don't wear underwear. Anyone else?
Old 10-01-2002, 10:28 AM   #6
warriorwoman
I always get a kick out of the excuses exhibitionists come up with to explain their behavior, as though no one else is aware of their need for attention. What your partner was telling you was that she was more comfortable having her breast exposed to you and anyone else watching than having it restricted to merely someone who is involved in an intimate relationship with her. Her own "comfort" takes precedence over your discomfort at having to deal with the situation in a polite way. If she were truly interested in "comfort", she'd probably be getting a massage instead of training in Aikido. A T-shirt under her jacket would easily protect her modesty if she was truly that uncomfortable wearing a bra. I suspect your sensei will eventually either suggest that himself or have a senior woman in your dojo speak with her about it.

janet dtantirojanarat

www.warriorwoman.org

janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org
Old 10-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Good perspective, Janet. I think you're right.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:31 PM   #8
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
It is even more embarrassing when men have bigger breasts than women.

Don't worry, if you don't breath in the wrong tube and start gagging, it really wasn't that big a deal.

What kind of defense would you put up to barechested women trying to kill you?

Get over it.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:40 PM   #9
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
No modesty for naked killers?

I see that there was some question of modesty when a woman with out a bra, either sports spandex or normal, had a breast pop out in practice. Well, what the hell would you do to protect yourself if you had to fight your way out of a building with semi naked women?

Really ... and the same for women facing naked men, what you gonna do?

I sure hope you are not caught up in th idea of dwelling upon the nudity, cause if they are gonna hurt or kill you, you ain't gonna have time to oogle.

I have my own ideas about gaining clear insight in training as to neutralize the debilitating imagination that runs amuck, but what do you think is the way to curb the sexual libido and get on with practice?

Last edited by Bruce Baker : 10-01-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Fighting your way out of a building filled with bare chested women? This could only happen in B Grade movies... and naked men?

Well, anything loose and not protected are potential targets.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:23 AM   #11
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: e6cf8c8a
Anonymous User
She was wearing what is called a nuclear Gi...the very real danger of fallout

Sheesh what some people wo do to be the centre of attention.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:36 AM   #12
mike lee
discomfort zone

Quote:
I always get a kick out of the excuses exhibitionists come up with to explain their behavior, as though no one else is aware of their need for attention.
And I get a kick out of people who can make snap judgments and label someone that they don't even know.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:30 AM   #13
Sherman Byas
Dojo: Anshindokan Dojo
She was being an exhibitionist. She knew good and d#$%n well there was a chance of her boob popping out. It's quite likely that the person that saw it was who she intended to see it. Now she better not complain if he looks at her chest every once in a while. Let's tell the truth, SHE FLASHED HIM! For comfort, yeah right. Why was the sports bra made?

On another note, I don't see how you guys take ukemi without some sort of support. I took a breakfall once with boxers 'stead of my JStrap and I "felt" it. All the way up to my throat. Over the long run that can't be for your "twig & berries".
Old 10-08-2002, 09:42 AM   #14
mike lee
Quote:
She was being an exhibitionist. She knew good and d#$%n well there was a chance of her boob popping out.
How do you know this?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:54 AM   #15
Sherman Byas
Dojo: Anshindokan Dojo
Simple. As a guy I KNOW that during class the top of my dogi will be pulled, snatched, grasped, jerked and handled in such away as to expose my chest. When that happens I straighten it out. Every guy that practices will do this. Now, if I had boobies and I practiced braless I better not be surprised if one was exposed. That's like me watchng the weather and they say "90% chence of precipitation", walking down the street with no umbrella, and then acting surprised if I get wet. I stand by what I said.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:14 AM   #16
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 6be1cc83
Anonymous User
I think it depends on if you wear a judo gi or one of those karate gis with the side ties. If the former, I'd say exhibitionist; they tend to gape open. If the latter, possibly honest mistake, but I can't imagine that practicing braless would be very comfortable unless you're pretty flat-chested.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #17
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 57d42db0
Anonymous User
Wow. Is it really that important what her motivation was? Who cares? It's what you do with it and what you learn from it that counts, no?
Old 10-08-2002, 02:05 PM   #18
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
A story was recounted in the dojo recently. One of the guys was telling how when he was 19 and taking karate he was sparring with a woman. This particular woman practiced braless and would occasionally grab her gi and pull it open to flash him. When he looked she would hit him He got hit a lot.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-08-2002, 04:32 PM   #19
mj
Quote:
Sherman Byas wrote:
Why was the sports bra made?
To make women look buff?

Old 10-08-2002, 06:19 PM   #20
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Nobody but nobody has yet to beat my mawashi story.

No idea what happened, why it happened, what she was thinking but its a fact of life - some people are far less obsessed with showing body parts and more with comfort. Where I'm from she wouldn't have gotten a second glance.

Get over it or call it training in the immoveable mind.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #21
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 1f09f62f
Anonymous User
Sluts in aikido

I believe this type of behavior to be quite common.

My husband has been training for some time, and over the years I have met a certain kind of woman who enters the art for the sole purpose of "finding a man". After all, the art is dominated by men. These women know the practice involves body contact and often use that as an opportunity to flirt.

I know of several instances where affairs have resulted, at least three in Aikido of Marin that involved married men.

I think it should be up to the sensei to set an appropriate moral tone and not tolerate this.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #22
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
I'm not so certain this behavior is common. I'm sure there are just as many men looking for dates from the women who come to train in aikido. And if that is all they are interested then I don't think they last very long. But I've seen most people of both genders focused on their training while on the mat. If you find it common where you are then the sensei is not setting the proper tone in the dojo.

I find this kind of behavior, whether male or female, inappropriate. Someone should suggest to this woman to cover up somehow--whether it's a bra or just a tee-shirt or tank top (if she likes being free). It's not about puritanism or modesty but about creating a positive training atmosphere for both men and women.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-09-2002, 03:33 PM   #23
tlurie

Dojo: Kinokawa Mt. Airy
I agree with AnneMarie... if a woman came to our dojo with the sole purpose of finding a man, I doubt she would last long. If your dojo is training hard, people with the wrong motives will find another place to hunt.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:19 PM   #24
Kevin Wilbanks
I don't see why everyone is being so uptight about this. At my old dojo, we used to train completely naked every other Friday - lots of koshinage and breakfall techniques. After class, we'd all migrate downstairs to a nice room full of cushions, massage oil, sex toys, and a full bar. We'd just have a nice little orgy until about midnight or so. We called them "Smut'n'Slam Fridays".
Old 10-09-2002, 08:28 PM   #25
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
:eek me?!? uptight?!? never.... wouldn't even think about it.

I got my haircut short (about 8 inches cut off) and some of the guys in class tonight said it looked really good. ~hands on hips~ I mean; I lose 20 pounds and change my hairstyle and their allll over me. Now, that's inappropriate. (seriously tongue in cheeck) OR maybe they just like a good training partner...nothing like a woman who can do a sharp nikkyo.

Anne Marie Giri