Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #76
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: What is atemi really for?

Chris, not sure exactly how you are defining Atemi...but I don't think it is true that all martial arts technques start with atemi. For example I can tackle someone or push them over a couch, or even a cliff and end the fight right there. I can grab them, move them and place them in a position with flex cuffs that involves no hitting at all. They may still have the desire to fight, but no longer possess the means. Personally for me, I don't care too much about their will or desire, I care primarily about their means.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #77
Chris Evans
United_States
Freaky! Re: What is atemi really for?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Chris, not sure exactly how you are defining Atemi...but I don't think it is true that all martial arts technques start with atemi. For example I can tackle someone or push them over a couch, or even a cliff and end the fight right there. I can grab them, move them and place them in a position with flex cuffs that involves no hitting at all. They may still have the desire to fight, but no longer possess the means. Personally for me, I don't care too much about their will or desire, I care primarily about their means.
ha hah, defined as the "initial move." the initial move can be the direct hit or seize, obviously, but for vs. a stronger, more prepared, opponent, that distraction can help make it happen.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #78
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

You can't suddenly redefine Atemi as the "initial move".
Atemi is striking the opponent, and not gently.
I'll go along with what Simon said ititially, but he got disagreed with plenty, so ... oh well.

Ikkyo begins with Atemi! (Poncy Ikkyo doesn't)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #79
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Here is an interesting article talking about atemi http://www.aikidotakemusu.org/en/art...ractice-aikido

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #80
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I do not buy an explanation of atemi that empowers nage and not uke. Atemi is striking and may be employed by either uke or nage. You cannot create a structure for nage atemi and then say, "but uke should not do this."

Atemi is striking, a tool. Don't give it morals, or romance, or fantastic powers.

Ledyard sensei's article is a very good read.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #81
miser
United Kingdom

Atemi can be used for a number of purposes of course, but I tend to see these purposes as summarised by saying that atemi gives tori the opportunity to blend. In circumstances where there is either nothing to blend with or blending leaves oneself vulnerable, atemi can be applied.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #82
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Atemi is striking, a tool. Don't give it morals, or romance, or fantastic powers.
Nicely said.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #83
aiki-jujutsuka

atemi is important in aiki-jujutsu. The way my instructors have explained its importance is that in self-defence situations it can help to change your attacker's mindset from predator to prey - by delivering an atemi it shifts their mindset, even if only momentarily giving you a small window to execute a technique. Sometimes when an attacker doesn't over extend themselves naturally, atemi is important to off-balance them so as to be used as an aid to aiki.

In the kata, for example ude osae dori, uke grabs and with their free arm goes to strike while tori delivers an atemi pre-emptively in order to block the strike and allow the space and time necessary to perform the technique.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #84
Chris Evans
United_States

an aikidoka/sensei told me atemi is 90% of aikido, however, i rarely see any atemi practice in aikido dojo, so I had better keep up with my karate training, concurrently.

dang, those back of wrist push up hurt so good.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #85
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Atemi meets. Atemi has the effect of realigning and diffusing. Atemi is part of ikkyo I would say.

Peace.G.