Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #26
Jake_Colburn
United_States
Re: Using Aikido During Sparring

Ah so it's hard to pull off i see.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #27
BWells
Dojo: ADV
United_States

Hi Jake, I'm another ADV student (thanks for good word Janet and hi Alf). I'll be at the beginning class on Friday so we can talk in more detail but in general I have two comments on sparing.

1. Most aikido ends up with someone taking ukemi (falls), so if you are playing using aikido and neither of you are comfortable with falling, you need to gear it down and be careful.

2. In my view the connection to the attacker, blending, maintaining my own center and taking the attackers balance are much more what aikido is about, rather than doing techniques. If I take your balance I have a whole lot of techniques I can use, but if I'm just trying to do a technique, especially against a striker, I'm liable to eat a fist and right now my wife has me on a diet so I should not be doing that!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #28
Jake_Colburn
United_States

Wow two AVD students nice to meet you both.

Bruce that explains a lot. As you can tell I have a ton i need to learn but i am wanting to put in a lot of time.

I am looking forward to being tossed around like a doll and learning as much as i can. I should be stopping by tonight to look at the place for i may have to take bart once and awhile.

And Bruce don't violate your diet with someones fist .
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Chris and Don,

While I agree with what you said relative to not making the aiki waza work in sparring (hence my A), the problem is those times when it does work. It is often dramatic, sudden, and possibly quite injurious on those few times...if you buddy can't take falls, or realize what's happening and choose to go with it at the right time.

Best,
Ron (at least, on some of the few times I've been there, that's what happened)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #30
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Talking Re: Using Aikido During Sparring

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
If you two rough house on a regular basis, and don't hurt each other, then throwing Aikido into the mix likely isn't going to hurt anyone.

Aikido people love to talk about how Aikido is the most gentle martial art in the world enabling you to take down even the most aggressive attacker without hurting them. Then 2 minutes later they'll tell you how Aikido techniques are very likely to dislocate your joints...

Truth is very few Aikidoka ever spar. for the ones that do, first time they spar is usually their last. This because both guys go at it as hard as the possibly can. Throwing all reason and understanding that they are just training out the window. The will both get pretty banged up.

Then they run to sensei who informs them they are not ready for such sparring (cause likely he isn't either). Then they talk about how cool O-sensei was, and that's the end of it.

If you guys are used to sparring, and know how far you can push each other, you are going to be no more unsafe with a few new techniques. In fact, you'll probably find that you can't often use the techniques, then you'll decide they don't work, and you'll be back for a new post that starts like this:

"I can't use Aikido techniques while I spar!"

I've got an answer for that one too, I'll be waiting.
This is the most realistic answer for me. Nice one Chris.
I wonder what's your answer to the latter question?...

One-Aiki,

Iking
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #31
Martin Goodyear
United Kingdom

Hi all,

How about one of you gloves up and puts on headgear, then goes at the other with varying degrees of intensity. The ungloved aikido chap can then do his thing.

Gloves make a mess of sword-hands. Also, with a clear aggressor, the aikido person can keep to the spirit of not getting drawn into a brawl - just finish the job at hand.

Martin.

P.S. A warning on the gloves issue. I once heard about some kung-fu guys using gloves as an excuse for their poor performance against some muay thai guys. The thai boxers said OK and took their gloves off, then gave them a proper hiding.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Jake Colburn wrote: View Post
Well this would lead me to the question, then how is it useful in a fight. I understand judging the attackers and such but like if the techniques fail a lot then i don't understand how it would help in a real fight or am i missing a key factor ? I'm newbie so just trying to understand more and as much as i can.
Uggggh...the groaner....

Jake, in my opinion aikido can be plenty useful in a fight if you don't give a damn about your opponent. It won't be very useful to you as a newbie, though (nor will any other martial art, but for a different set of reasons). Why do you want to study aikido, anyway? Are you under constant physical threat? If so, there are better ways to deal with it than starting study of an empty-hand martial art. Do you want to study so that you can pick fights with others? You're not going to really develop that skill set in the dojo, either. You need to step back and identify what problem you're trying to solve, before you decide if aikido is the tool.

Oh, and before you say, "Well, I want to get fit and learn how to handle myself in a fight (just, y'know, in case) and focus my mind and become enlightened and improve my coordination and develop my stamina and..." Think about it. If you walked into a hardware store and said, "I want a tool that will drive nails and paint a house and tell me if something is level and drill holes and dig a ditch," the people in the store would think you were crazy. Martial arts is no different -- it's a practice engaged in by human beings, it ain't magic.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #33
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

[quote=Mary Malmros;213835... If you walked into a hardware store and said, "I want a tool that will drive nails and paint a house and tell me if something is level and drill holes and dig a ditch," the people in the store would think you were crazy. [/QUOTE]
Well actually they'd be rubbing their hands with glee, and trying to sell him tons of expensive gizmos.
But that's off-topic here.

I second Martin's suggestion of ONE putting on gloves and a head/face protector and the other one 'doing aikido' or whatnot to him, it's the only way it makes sense.
And VIDEO please, m'kay?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #34
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Well actually they'd be rubbing their hands with glee, and trying to sell him tons of expensive gizmos.
And you'd be saying, "No no no no I said A tool A tool A ONE SINGULAR TOOL!!!" And the Grizzled Old Hardware guy would sigh and say, "Son..."
Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #35
gregg block

United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
It is not that the techniques fail, it is simply that they are not the easiest to pull off. I have had some success with some aikido style techniques in sparing, but they are few and far between for me.
A stunning strike would to need pave the way for my technique to be effective in a realistic situation. Without a good atemi I just don't see this stuff working, but then again i'm a striker at heart and my aikido needs some work..
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #36
bankai
United_States
Talking Re: Using Aikido During Sparring

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
A stunning strike would to need pave the way for my technique to be effective in a realistic situation. Without a good atemi I just don't see this stuff working, but then again i'm a striker at heart and my aikido needs some work..
I think you`re correct there. aikido works best with a strike. if nothing else to take their balance.

I don`t think you should try using it for a while,however. My arguement is, as of now, you don`t know what you don`t know. For example, if you do do a hip throw and drop to your knee you might break his neck.

That being said Aikido principles are in most martial arts. Everyone makes it sound like all these arts are different but I think they are just branches off the same tree. Aikido being one of those brances.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
gregg block

United_States

Quote:
Son Mai wrote: View Post
I think you`re correct there. aikido works best with a strike. if nothing else to take their balance.

I don`t think you should try using it for a while,however. My arguement is, as of now, you don`t know what you don`t know. For example, if you do do a hip throw and drop to your knee you might break his neck.

That being said Aikido principles are in most martial arts. Everyone makes it sound like all these arts are different but I think they are just branches off the same tree. Aikido being one of those brances.
In a realistic situation I doubt I would use Aikido at all. I think I would instintively return to the striking art I spent 20 years in not where I've spent the past 4..Though I think the last 4 will hopefully help me avoid such situations at all..gb
Old 09-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #38
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

FWIW. I don't believe you use any "art" or "style" to fight with, you use the skills and experiences gained from them. Thus you use yourself.

Seems like a minor detail, but I think framing things in a "art" centric perspective becomes limiting both in training and in reality.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
FWIW. I don't believe you use any "art" or "style" to fight with, you use the skills and experiences gained from them. Thus you use yourself.

Seems like a minor detail, but I think framing things in a "art" centric perspective becomes limiting both in training and in reality.
Doesn't seem minor to me! It seems like a fundamental truth.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #40
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Agreed, it is not minor to me either Mary.