Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How meaningful do you think the ranking system is in your aikido dojo?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of August 8, 2004:

How meaningful do you think the ranking system is in your aikido dojo?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically meaningful
  • Very meaningful
  • Somewhat meaningful
  • Not very meaningful
  • Not at all meaningful
Here are the current results.

Last edited by akiy : 08-10-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Poll: How meaningful do you think the ranking system is in your aikido dojo?

Meaningful and important are not exactly equivalent so the answers you offer are little weird given the question.

in the scheme of things going on in the dojo overall ranking system is not that important however it may however be quite meaningful as a process where members come together to help each other to progress in rank and then all come together on a test to cheer each other on.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:59 AM   #3
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
Re: Poll: How meaningful do you think the ranking system is in your aikido dojo?

Hi,

I found this quite hard to vote on as in my Dojo the ranking system is more of a means to stop the boys from brawling as there is a huge power struggle in my dojo.
I personally don't think rank should matter at all in any dojo as Aikido is supposed to be "Fun" and enjoyed by all,right!?
Yet in my dojo it is more of a power struggle for who is better than the next person!

Sad but true!

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 08-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
akiy

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
Meaningful and important are not exactly equivalent so the answers you offer are little weird given the question.
Oops -- my mistake. I've changed the wording of the answers and have reset the data collection...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Tiyler Durden wrote:
Yet in my dojo it is more of a power struggle for who is better than the next person!

This really comes down to a matter of leadership.

Craig

Old 08-11-2004, 06:32 AM   #6
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

In our dojo at least, the ranking is meaningful in that is reflects well the abilities of the students.
The highest rank in our dojo is sandan, so there's not really any trouble seeing who's aikido is 'better'. Of course, there are very good students working their way up the ranks, but they'll quickly find their level (we occasionally allow students to skip a kyu grade if the obviously can perform at a higher level).
This stops working if you have several 5th-6th dans, where what is 'better' is more a matter of style than skill. However, even here the ranking is meaningful, it just has a different meaning, with levels of responsibility, seniority etc.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #7
Robert Cheshire

Dojo: Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
United_States

I would tend to agree with Craig's first post. It is a means by which you can know who to go to for help and who might need extra encouragement. The Yoseikan World Federation has everybody wear the same belt from beginer to soke. This is suppose to show that we are all in this together and not to have ego's about what belt I wear and what one you wear. There is still rank, but, it's not shown around the waist. The only problem that exist is that you have to be very observant of the abilities of the person you are throwing and not throw with an advanced throw they don't have the ukemi skills for.

Robert Cheshire
Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
www.yoseikanbudo.us
Old 08-12-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
Charles Bergman
Dojo: Shin Sui Kan/Genoa, Ohio
United_States
Do symbol Re: Poll: How meaningful do you think the ranking system is in your aikido dojo?

Quote:
Robert Cheshire wrote:
I The only problem that exist is that you have to be very observant of the abilities of the person you are throwing and not throw with an advanced throw they don't have the ukemi skills for.

Certianly a "rank" system, regardless of how sophisticated it is (i.e. white, brown, black or 12 different colors) helps you to gauage the experience of uke and govern yourself accordingly.

In addition, it allows the instructor, especially in a large dojo, to gauge the experinece of the class they are teaching and craft the lesson plan accordingly.

Rank also helps to create an attmosphere of discipline, which is a major reason many people seek out martial arts training. While rank structure in many dojos isn't as rigid as it was originally meant to be when martial arts were part of the military, it still creates a structured environment, which sets a tone for training.

While O'Sensei always encouraged a "joyful" atmosphere in the dojo, martial arts techinques need to be practiced in a safe environment as well. Having someone "in charge" helps avoid the type of horseplay among junior students that can lead to injury.

Finally, having a rank system, even a simple one, that makes it easy to identify an instructor or senior student makes it easier for newer students to know who to go to if they have a question or problem.

These are just a few of my thoughts on rank.

Arigato
Old 08-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Hagen Seibert
Dojo: Kamai
Germany

Meaningful in reference to what ?

a) in relation to the rank-holders abilities
IŽd answer "not"

b) in reference to the fuss done about it
IŽd say "much"