Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Two Hundred and Thirty-seven

Correct feeling isn't akin to feelings as in emotional or sensory feelings. Correct feeling is a state of being. When in the state I refer to as correct feeling, that is when mind and body are tightly coordinated and Ki is decidedly manifest, I am aware that it's not the same as my walking around town state of being. So what are some of the characteristics of the correct feeling state of being?

Correct feeling is characterized by:
  1. A contracted frame of reference and a corresponding expansion of awareness.
  2. The absence of conscious thought.
  3. Emotional neutrality.
  4. A heightened state of physical and mental relaxation.
  5. The ability to project presence.
  6. An increase in perceived mass (as felt by my partner when we come into contact).
  7. The ability to effect my partners balance and disturb his structure at the moment of contact.
  8. A way of moving that involves the entire body acting in concert that isn't what I would term consciously directed.
  9. A profound connection with my partner.
There's more, but I just wanted to provide a brief outline some of the characteristics of correct feeling in order to convey the fact that it's about feeling as being, not feeling as part of a stimulus/response loop. With mind and body tightly coordinated the perceive-process-order-do sequence occurs faster than my ability to be consciously aware of it happening.

The important realization to take away from this is that correct feeling is attainable via Aikido training. Ki exercises/testing, technique practice and weapons work all contribute to the process whereby correct feeling is first experienced then, with repetition and increased loading, strengthened.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Two Hundred and Thirty-seven

Hi Ron,
With all due respect, instead of numbering your entries in this forum, would you please provide a title that gives an idea of what the subject matter will be about? The numerical thread "titles" are kind of off-putting (at least for me) and not particularly enticing!

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 08-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Hi Ron,
With all due respect, instead of numbering your entries in this forum, would you please provide a title that gives an idea of what the subject matter will be about? The numerical thread "titles" are kind of off-putting (at least for me) and not particularly enticing!
Hi Cady -

I do not post to this forum. My blog is external and Jun has been kind enough to pick it up as an RSS feed. So I'll just keep posting as I have always done. The fact that anyone cares to read what I have to say is gratifying but I write my blog primarily as a record of my experiences as an Aikido student.

Ron

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Even so, just a simple, brief title instead of number would be so much kinder!