Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Dan Harden Seminar. September 10 & 11, 2011. Bedford Hills, New York

There are still a few spots left for this continuing seminar series. Anybody who has attended previous seminars with Dan Harden are also eligible to attend a Friday night training session. This seminar is being kept small so that people have a lot of hands on training opportunities with Dan Harden. The weekend is $175. Registration and payment are arranged directly with Dan Harden at:

Dan Harden: dojoseminars@gmail.com

Marc Abrams

Last edited by Marc Abrams : 08-16-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Thomas Campbell
Re: Dan Harden Seminar. September 10 & 11, 2011. Bedford Hills, New York

This would be well worth attending if you haven't experienced Dan Harden's teaching before, or for deepening your understanding of Dan's approach to body/mind integration in a martial context (a.k.a. Black-and-Blue Yoga).

Seriously, I hope a few new people get the chance to experience the skills and the methods for training those skills. Thanks to Marc for providing a consistent home for Dan's teaching in the New York area. Best wishes for a fruitful seminar.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
DH
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
This would be well worth attending if you haven't experienced Dan Harden's teaching before, or for deepening your understanding of Dan's approach to body/mind integration in a martial context (a.k.a. Black-and-Blue Yoga).

Seriously, I hope a few new people get the chance to experience the skills and the methods for training those skills. Thanks to Marc for providing a consistent home for Dan's teaching in the New York area. Best wishes for a fruitful seminar.
Thank you Tom,
But, barring some cancellations this ones booked.
This really isn't going to be geared to newbies anyway.
As time goes on this year I am going to be doing less of the intro seminars and trying to lend support to teachers and some students training with me. Then, I am going to do some select regional ones that will be small and invitation only for people who we all know are doing the work and moving forward. Those will be 2 1/2 day intensives.
I had a plan when I started that is an
1. Intro
2. Support
3. Exit strategy
Another reason I found the English guys here calling me a con man and snake oil salesman stupidly misguided. My plan...is to give it to others and...cough...leave.
Then I want to come back in five years and test and challenge them all.
Not much of a sales pitch...I know...but a hell of a way to actually freakin help people learn.

All the best
Dan
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Another reason I found the English guys here calling me a con man and snake oil salesman stupidly misguided. My plan...is to give it to others and...cough...leave.
Then I want to come back in five years and test and challenge them all.
Hi Dan,

'some' of the Enlish guys, please..

Some of us are working on integrating what we got from you, so that at some point in the future, we can whup your yankee butt!

Are you Europe bound this fall?

cheers,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
AlexF
Dojo: NA
United Kingdom

Hi Dan, sent you a PM a few days ago hope you get a chance to reply would love to have a chat, take care.
Alex
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
DH
United_States

Hi guys. I started a new thread here to talk about the Europe schedule, or lack thereof. I sent out a few PM's this morning to solidify/make plans.
It's nice to have power back after my date with Irene.
Cheers
Dan
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Just in case I haven't said this enough, I have never met anyone with Dan's stability, power, or ability to redirect and control energy ... AND YES I call that Aiki

BUT....more important in my humble opinion...is his teaching ability.

If you are amazing at something that is great, but if your students are amazing....

People, I don't know how long Dan is going to keep doing open seminars, but if you don't get to one of his seminars, you are just making a mistake.

NOW, one caveat......after he shows you something, its not magic...you have to work your butt off, but when you do the results are really cool.

Howard
大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Just in case I haven't said this enough, I have never met anyone with Dan's stability, power, or ability to redirect and control energy ... AND YES I call that Aiki

If you are amazing at something that is great, but if your students are amazing....

People, I don't know how long Dan is going to keep doing open seminars, but if you don't get to one of his seminars, you are just making a mistake.

NOW, one caveat......after he shows you something, its not magic...you have to work your butt off, but when you do the results are really cool.

Howard
大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Having bodyskill that was formerly kept secret + being a good teacher and being open + teaching everywhere = "secretive" koryu with "esoteric" knowledge go out of business

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
DH
United_States

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Having bodyskill that was formerly kept secret + being a good teacher and being open + teaching everywhere = "secretive" koryu with "esoteric" knowledge go out of business
No it doesn't. Not even close. If anything, people in those arts are more intrigued and enthused.
Besides, Howard is greatly exagerating. I read here just recently that I just confuse people with my winsome personality. The implications being that these 30- 40 year martial artists are both stupid and gullible ...er...cough...right? Sure!
I'll let that assessment of both them and the situation stand on its own merits.
I find many of these people are discerning, ciritical thinkers, who, while they may like you, are not going to be bought into anything without critical examination and due dilligence.
All the best
Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
No it doesn't. Not even close. If anything, people in those arts are more intrigued and enthused.
Besides, Howard is greatly exagerating. I read here just recently that I just confuse people with my winsome personality. The implications being that these 30- 40 year martial artists are both stupid and gullible ...er...cough...right? Sure!
I'll let that assessment of both them and the situation stand on its own merits.
I find many of these people are discerning, ciritical thinkers, who, while they may like you, are not going to be bought into anything without critical examination and due dilligence.
All the best
Dan
Yeah I know I was exaggerrating about the koryu thing too . I just think it's great that skilled people are spreading the word about bodyskill so that unfortunate dudes like me don't have to look for secret underground chambers in Japan and do 10 years of waza before I can start practising the bodyskill stuff.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:

Howard
大東流合気柔術銀柔会
and . . . And . . . martial ability in a broad spectrum of applications AND I (and others) have witnessed him control his temper (understandable frustration and annoyance) and exemplify his personal values (turning the other cheek, showing love and compassion) while demonstrating the effectiveness of Aiki without lowering himself to the "spit in your eye" attitude or physical cheap shots we've seen used by some "doubters" who meant to "put him in his place." (He also doesn't "explain away" shortcomings in physical performance. I, at least, have never seen him "come up short." But that isn't the point. I wonder if everyone reading this will "get that." Everyone has limitations, everyone!) All the while not claiming to be "the one."

I can think of well known personages supposedly representing "the Art of Peace" who can't claim as much. They, failing to exemplify the physical attributes of their art, apparently decide to abandon the moral ideals of their art as well, in an effort to "put someone in their place". . . by whatever means available.

It seems to me that, Dan, as a non-Aikido guy, is doing a pretty darn good job pursuing the ideal of the "Art of Peace." Although I'd bet he'd be the first to object at the suggestion, ever keenly aware of his own short comings.

Dan isn't the "savior of Aikido" or any other art (He'd be the last to think that.) and I don't think that Howie or I fancy ourselves as promoting him as such. We are simply "calling like we see it."

IMHO he has a unique set of skills/attributes he has/is developing, is a talented martial artist, a skilled teacher, and a good man.

I'd be satisfied with "good man," the other stuff is icing on the cake!

(Sorry Dan. Just say'n!)

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
Howard Popkin
United_States

With a little more practice, he might be a good fisherman too

Hey Al,

How's the construction going ?

Last edited by Howard Popkin : 09-02-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Marc Abrams
United_States

The recent hurricane has caused a lot of damage in this area. I for one, am still without electricity at my house. The dojo has power and we are fully expecting this seminar to be another successful one in a series of teaching experiences that Dan has so graciously agreed to do. We will still have the potluck dinner at my house on Saturday night. I know some people were disappointed in the rare exception of not having that get-together from the last seminar.

Martial arts should represent a degree of honesty and integrity with which we all can come together to explore what works and what does not work, regardless of what your initial impressions might be of what someone has to offer. My initial skepticism regarding Dan evaporated in less that one second of feeling what he had to offer. Dan had the honesty and integrity to open himself up to a bunch of Aikido instructors last year (besides instructors from other martial arts). My respect and appreciation for Dan has only grown over time. I consider him a good friend and someone who is truly generous with helping me to better myself. There are not a lot of people out there who are some open and caring in what they do.

People can question until the moon turns to cheese and nothing will be accomplished or moved forward until the time that people make an honest attempt to meet and feel Dan in order to determine for themselves whether or not he has anything of worth to offer them. Dan has clearly stated that the open nature of seminars will not last forever. I strongly encourage people to reach out and try it for yourselves before these opportunities are no longer offered. As an instructor, I feel a deep obligation to reach and teach the highest levels of Aikido that I can obtain. I work damn hard at trying to integrate as quickly as possible, all that I can fit inside my pea-size brain of what Dan is teaching me and translating it into my Aikido. This is a pale cry from what someone of the quality of Dan has to offer. I strongly encourage people to find out IN PERSON what people like Dan have to offer to us. These offerings are valuable gifts to us that will not be there for ever. Act now so you don't regret later.

Cordially,

Marc Abrams
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Hey Al,

How's the construction going ?
No more time & No more money . . .

We must be done!

We worked very hard on the construction throughout the entire summer (it replaced our group training time) and the space is now usable and has received many compliments. I'm grateful to be able to do weapons training again. It had been WAY too long. I think the guys are happy to be back to regular group training.

There is still more to be done, but that can wait for another day.

I wonder how'd Dan feel about putting on the ol bogu (I could lend him a set.) and going at it gekken style in the new space . . . hmmm? (Bamboo only. At least that way I can hope that the shinai blows up before heads (mine in particular) roll. )

Thanks for asking Howie. Will you be headed this way anytime soon?

All the best,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
Howard Popkin
United_States

Seattle in Dec, don't know about portland yet. Talk soon

Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
DH
United_States

I have been doing my own repairs/ clearing and roof construction before during and after Irene!! I just sat down after the umpteenth trip to Home Depot.
I see you idiots have been having fun embarrassing the hell out of me when I'm not around! Good Grief! See how much of a bad influence Howard can be!! Don't even get me started about him and fishing!
Are we done now?

Marc
So sorry to hear about the lack of power. I hope you planned ahead like I did and had a generater. Any idea if it is going to be running by the seminar? Are we staying at the house still or is it plan B time?

Allen
Bogu....oooh.
Will it help?
Noooo.
B&B time. (bumps and bruises)
Ever see what bamboo does to a forearm? It's like long lash/whip cuts and bruises. Ever have someone hit you on the same spot over and over no matter what you did? Did you know that eggs don't just come from a store?
All the best
Dan
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Ever see what bamboo does to a forearm? It's like long lash/whip cuts and bruises. Ever have someone hit you on the same spot over and over no matter what you did? Did you know that eggs don't just come from a store?
All the best
Dan
Actually, yes. Remember the story that Nakakura Kiyoshi tells of when he started Kendo and how he tried to run away because the results of training was just what you described? Remember that Shirata, already familiar with Kendo of course, trained with Nakakura Kiyoshi in the Kendo section of the Kobukan? Remember when asked how, as an elderly man, Nakakura Kiyoshi could better his juniors . . . he bluntly stated to his Kendo listeners, "Because of my Aikido training."? So . . . Nakakura is gone, Shirata is gone, who else do I know that combines Ken and Aiki and trains "Gekken style" (not to mention all the other "Non Aikido" Aikido things I learned from my Aikido sensei? Ideally it would be someone who was better than me at all that stuff AND has a talent and willingness to teach. Who do I know like that?, hmmm . . .

I hope the repairs go smoothly and stick around for a while.

Best back at yah,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
I have been doing my own repairs/ clearing and roof construction before during and after Irene!! I just sat down after the umpteenth trip to Home Depot.
I see you idiots have been having fun embarrassing the hell out of me when I'm not around! Good Grief! See how much of a bad influence Howard can be!! Don't even get me started about him and fishing!
Are we done now?

Marc
So sorry to hear about the lack of power. I hope you planned ahead like I did and had a generater. Any idea if it is going to be running by the seminar? Are we staying at the house still or is it plan B time?

Allen
Bogu....oooh.
Will it help?
Noooo.
B&B time. (bumps and bruises)
All the best
Dan
Dan:

NYSEG has been shat upon by all of the higher authorities for their abysmal response to this hurricane. They are at around 1/2 the staff numbers as they were 10 years ago...... At about 7am on Sunday, some branches fell onto the power line going into my house. In the midst of the winds and rain, I took out by chainsaw (24" bar) and cut the stuff off before the weight and winds tore the wires from my house. Have had a generator for the last 18 years (mamma don't raise no dumb babies now). It is a 5000w model and I have decided after a week of using it that I am going to invest in a 10000W model. Of course two of my bypass switches (controlling water pressure) decided to crap out on me and I had to jury ring a 30amp cord going to the generator....

NYSEG has brought crews in from all over the US and their plan is to finish our community by 11pm. today. I think that it is safe to say that power will be ongoing in time for the seminar visit. If not, Chateau Marc will temporarily be turned into Marc's Rustic Cabin! Rumor has it that the same great food and drink are being served (that is what is most important after all).

Marc
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
Marc Abrams
United_States

I would like to thank every one who helped to make this continuing seminar series a big success. Dan's sincere commitment to our progress is remarkable, considering the amount of flak that he takes from some in our community for trying to help all of us. Dan's students are trained to be excellent teachers and they are a tremendous help to us.

Dan has given a preliminary okay to return for the weekend of December 10& 11, 2011.

Marc Abrams
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
Howard Popkin
United_States

A big Thank you to Marc for hosting

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
DH
United_States

I have to say that I for one am enjoying the progress of people. There are a few groups that have started up who are quite serious. I think it is interesting that the serious people are looking at this as a body of work past individual personalities; they are reading, researching, meeting others who have skills, and thinking critically.
Oddly enough, they also seem to be the most casual, relaxed and fun to train with.

I will be back at Marc's in Dec. But I am once again limiting newbies to just a few people.
All the best
Dan