Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
trademark8806

Dojo: Akido of Rosmore
United_States
Meditation

I need to lurn how to maditate .... Dose anyone knwo any good way to lurn this on your own... are there any good books?

Best wishes ,
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: medetation

I'm really enjoying the book "The Intuitive Body - Discovering the Wisdom of Conscious Embodiment and Aikido" by Wendy Palmer. It includes some very clear instructions for at least one kind of meditation, and a lot of other interesting good stuff to think about.

There are lots of kinds of "meditation" so hunt around until you find what works for you.

You might check the iTunes store for podcasts or other recordings of guided meditations, too.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
trademark8806

United_States
Re: medetation

Quote:
Linda Eskin wrote: View Post
I'm really enjoying the book "The Intuitive Body - Discovering the Wisdom of Conscious Embodiment and Aikido" by Wendy Palmer. It includes some very clear instructions for at least one kind of meditation, and a lot of other interesting good stuff to think about.

There are lots of kinds of "meditation" so hunt around until you find what works for you.

You might check the iTunes store for podcasts or other recordings of guided meditations, too.
thanks for the infromation

Best wishes ,
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Meditation

Go to the library there on Electric (by the Red Train Car off Main Street) and check out the books and tapes/CDs on meditation. They can get you any that are in the OC system. Its free and will get you started.

The go down to Sweet Jills or Cinnamon Productions, get a roll and a coffee, walk out on the peer, and tell the ocean I said hello.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tara Marsh wrote: View Post
I need to lurn how to maditate .... Dose anyone knwo any good way to lurn this on your own... are there any good books?
find a nice, quiet place. standing, sit down, or lay down whichever comfortable to you. close your eyes. breath slowly by expanding and contracting your stomach. there is a small book, systema, "let every breath". a chapter in that book talk about tension and relax, methink chapter 8. there is a bunch of exercise sequences, you can use. methink, it based on the old iron shirt qigong. you can meditate and work on building a connected body at the same time which will help your aikido in the long run.

or stand in the "hug the tree pose" of taichi. have someone pushes lightly to your chest, back, left and right shoulders, push down slightly on your shoulders, lift you up lightly. your job is to stay in one place. find the spot where you are centered and stay there for 30 minutes.

or shave your head, wear a yellow robe (brown is ok too, but no pink or lavender or zebra stripes), use a wooden clacker to keep the beat, chant incoherently for hours on end and drive the people in your household insane.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Go to the library there on Electric (by the Red Train Car off Main Street) and check out the books and tapes/CDs on meditation. They can get you any that are in the OC system. Its free and will get you started.

The go down to Sweet Jills or Cinnamon Productions, get a roll and a coffee, walk out on the peer, and tell the ocean I said hello.
I will cheek out the Libray, thanks for the info. I not sure Sweet Jills... I not seen it ( mabby just walked by that place) , Cinnamon Prouctions is good. Cofffe is not good tasting, so I pass, lol. If it's not raing , I will pass the ocean meage along.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
find a nice, quiet place. standing, sit down, or lay down whichever comfortable to you. close your eyes. breath slowly by expanding and contracting your stomach. there is a small book, systema, "let every breath". a chapter in that book talk about tension and relax, methink chapter 8. there is a bunch of exercise sequences, you can use. methink, it based on the old iron shirt qigong. you can meditate and work on building a connected body at the same time which will help your aikido in the long run.

or stand in the "hug the tree pose" of taichi. have someone pushes lightly to your chest, back, left and right shoulders, push down slightly on your shoulders, lift you up lightly. your job is to stay in one place. find the spot where you are centered and stay there for 30 minutes.

or shave your head, wear a yellow robe (brown is ok too, but no pink or lavender or zebra stripes), use a wooden clacker to keep the beat, chant incoherently for hours on end and drive the people in your household insane.
I think I pass o the second idea, I kidna like my hair. thanks for the frist one. I will have to try the frist part, i think having someone pust me is not going to work thow.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I just received this link to a Guided Healing Meditation audio podcast in an email from the Chopra Center:
http://www.chopra.com/agnilight/dec09/podcast

They have more here:
http://www.chopra.com/library

Thought you might enjoy those.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
trademark8806

United_States

thanks for the link .

Best wishes ,
Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

My favorite place to meditate is on my horses back out in the woods or some quiet place in the woods surrounding the farm. There is something about being out in nature and away from the rest of the world that is just perfect for letting go and spending a little time in meditation.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
trademark8806

United_States

Aww... that sounds like a good place.... which I had one like that... I do go to nature alot ... there a rather larg park near me.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
James Edwards
United Kingdom

Look up zazen?