Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
souji

Dojo: MMU Aikido Dojo
Malaysia
Promotions

Hello. I am a first time poster from Malaysia. My upgrading will be in 2 days time so I was just wondering something about promotions. It has been two years since I learned Aikido. But this sunday I'll be taking the 2nd Kyu test. I've seen a friend of mine that learned Aikido for 4 years but is taking 2nd Kyu together with me. I am currently in 4th Kyu. What bothers me is why do my teacher jump me up without a proper promotions example: I'll be taking the 3rd kyu test and prove that I am worthy and let me take the 2nd. Instead it's direct? Please give your opinions please.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
hoi
United_States
Re: Promotions

Sorry, but this seems like a trollish question that is best answered by your sensei.

There are three excellent articles under "Testing" section, and a number of threads in the forum ... some research perhaps.

Sorry that wasn't tactful. Either the instructor made a mistake or is confident in your ability - your sensei can answer that.

Last edited by hoi : 06-26-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Cool

Hi Sam!!!

Well,.. how long have you been 4th kyu,... if you have enough time and your aikido is in a good shape there is no problem to make two test at a time,.., some times it happens in our dojos,.. but for example, in your case,.. you must do a very clear 3rd kyu and a good 2nd.

I don't know the requirements of your test, but in our case 3rd and 2nd kyu have a good number on techniques (a 2nd kyu is not a beginner). how do you feel about this? ,.. do you think you are ready to test for 2nd kyu?.

If you feel you are ready,... go ahead and do a very good test. If you don't,.. talk to your Sensei,... maybe he thinks you deserve be 2nd. kyu.

Always is good to have goals but you have to be realistic and evaluate your skill. You are the only one with the answer,…

And don't forget to enjoy your test.

Bye!

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 07-09-2003, 01:50 AM   #4
souji

Dojo: MMU Aikido Dojo
Malaysia
Thanks. I passed both test and is currently in 2nd kyu level. Malaysia just started the belt system so I'm getting rid of the white and wearing purple now. Thanks again :P
Old 07-09-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
wow, this is the first time i heard a double promotion in aikido, but don't worry, if your instructor recommends you to take it then it means you worth of it, congratulations.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #6
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
An early instructor of mine, who had been a nidan for about 10 years, got a double promotion to yondan. He did his grading, and the shihan said "very nice, 3rd dan. Now if you could just show me so-and-so...", and gave him a 4th dan.

I've done double gradings before, esp for a couple of students who only came to my dojo for a couple of months per year (and trained at their university dojo's in the meantime) - I'm talking about skipping 4th kyu, or such.

Look, we're all doing aikido for life, right?
20 years from now, whether you did a 3rd kyu grading or not really isn't going to matter much, is it?

Train well,

Tim

Last edited by Tim Griffiths : 07-09-2003 at 07:55 AM.

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 07-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
kiddokit
Dojo: KL YMCA Aikido
My dojo practices double promotions when the sensei feels that person worthy of it. But I've not heard of a case whereby that person is let known in advance that the sensei intends to double promote him/her! Just imagine double the pressure prior to the grading, and also not forgetting two-times the enviousness of fellow aikido practitioners. :-)
Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Carl Simard
Re: Promotions

Quote:
Hidetada Kobayashi (souji) wrote:
What bothers me is why do my teacher jump me up without a proper promotions example...
Why not ask your teacher directly ??? He certainly is the best person to answer this question...
Old 07-18-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
promotions

I've been training for almost 4 years and am 4th kyu. I was supposed to do my 3rd, 2nd kyu long ago but because of personal reasons (studies etc) it didn't happen. I have enough lessons behind me to do 1st kyu and my sensei wanted me to do 2nd kyu instead of going through 3rd and later on 2nd.

I asked his acceptance but didn't not want the offer. I wish to do all my gradeings even if the time span between them will be shorter than the avreage time. I am in no hurry and hope to do aikido all my life, but in a way, I want to know that I have done all my gradeings as they should be taken. Hopefully I'll start catching the lead this summer after my exams!

enjoy training,

Anat