Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Voices of Experience

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Aikido survivors

Anyone who has trained for awhile will see people quit training. Stick around a little longer and you will see dan grades quit too. Indeed, many, or maybe even most, quit. Many are of dubious talent, but many of high talent also quit.

I think, the #1 reason why people quit is worsening skill - I have seen this. Simply, time takes its toll on a depleted training programme and one day they wake up with perceptably less skill, perhaps combined with one or two 'events' in the dojo that make it clear their skill no longer matches time served or rank. However, a few bumble along, and even continuing up the gradding ladder - I have seen this too.

The #2 reason explains why people of talent quit but I am not sure I have the answer. Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Re: Aikido survivors

There are so many reasons; likely as many as there are people who quit. Many talented people I know who have quit have done so due to issues such as life changes (family, work, etc.), and some just lost interest. Some people who find that it comes too easy for them are not as vested (generalization here) as those who struggle. Certainly see a lot of people quit shortly after shodan, and fewer and fewer quitting as they progress up the ladder from there.

Good topic; hope it generates more responses.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Rupert,

I have never come across yudansha quitting aikido because of declining skill: at least yudansha who will openly admit to this.

I know some half-dozen yudansha who have stopped aikido altogether and it is obvious from their training up to this point that their skill level has not been declining. I am well aware that you have to adapt the way you train to cope with advancing age, but this is not what I mean. You have to do this with anyway.

The reasons for quitting have invariably been 'political'. They have had serious arguments with their instructors or Dojo-cho, or have serious issues with the way their dojo or organization is being run.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I have often likened aikido to something simple, like brushing your teeth. What makes people quit brushing their teeth? And then, don't they sometimes brush their dentures? I think people start off with a soft toothbrush, graduate to a medium, and if they become obsessed they use a hard brush until their gums bleed. But as they get older, I think the time comes when they return to a soft brush, and actually brush their teeth with affection and compassion. In gassho.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Seen some cases of physical burnout Seen some cases of political burnout. Seen some cases of marriage. Seen some cases of finding what they were really looking for. Seen some cases where the student was thrown out and told not to come back to train for a certain time. Seen some cases of new habits. Seen some cases of physical infirmaties. Seen some cases of moving away and not having anyone else to practice with (lack of spirit). Seen some cases of got what they came for. Seen some cases of loss of habit after an injury. Seen some cases where the person got into facing a brick wall and quitting out of frustration. Seen some cases where the chief instructor told a student to go practice something else that he/she determined would be more suitable for them. Seen some cases where the student went away and died before coming back.

A better question might be, why the hell do you stay?

Rock
Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 AM   #6
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

If you stay, you are lucky. In gassho
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
If you stay, you are lucky. In gassho
Don't believe in luck except when I am playing golf

I was just pointing out that there are a thousand different reasons for not staying in, each one that differs for each person. However, since there are a lot fewer people who do stay, it might be more likely and easier to determine a small number of reasons that people stay in Aikido.

While I would like to say that I stay in because of some altruistic reasons or for something connected with honour and all that but I simply stay in because I no longer have a choice for psychological, health, and financial reasons. I quit, I die. And some mornings, after being up all night working or playing, those 06:00 practices are a bitch.

Rock