Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #26
early rub up
Dojo: tai shin do ryu
England
Re: Grading question advice please

just give your sensei a gentle reminder with a boken he'll soon remember
Old 01-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #27
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

in my experience:

it is considered rude to ask sensei about testing directly ie "your" testing, general questions about testing are ok.

testing is somewhat of a formality ie sensei feels that you are at that level thus it is recognition of your growth.

talk of failing a test is ridiculous this indicates that sensei has no grasp of your abilities.

in some schools testing is merely economic ie lots of kyu ranks, stripes on belt, more tests means more testing fees...

there is also no standard or standard curriculum from school to school ie in some you do the time you get the belt, in others you have to demonstrate barely any thing to attain rank , in others it is incredible the amount of stuff you must know and demonstrate...

in conclusion dont worry about it just practice colored belts are for sissys if you practice you will get better thats what matters

humbly ...
edwin
Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #28
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

How does the testing work at your dojo? At both the dojos I've trained at you yourself signed up for the kyu tests. At my dojo in Seattle, Sensei will sometimes prod people who've been training for a long time to take a test, usually at the level he decides you're ready for. I'm not sure if that happens in Boulder. I think people just grade when they feel like it, until they're ready to enter the yudansha ranks. Tests for shodan and above are invite only and the invite comes when Sensei decides you're ready. You may feel otherwise, but it's his call.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #29
Edwin Neal
United_States

yudansha test are usually done at gasshuku ie summer camp, and are invite only usually a senior yudansha or shihan lets you know that you will be called. mudansha is usually a scheduled every 6-9 month seminar that is not quite as secretive you know the seminar is comming and if you havent tested in 6-12 months or more you will probably be called. it is as i say more of a recognition of what level you have attained... I never heard of anyone failing if you are asked the sensei thinks thats what your rank should be. you can skip ranks if it has been a while or you really do good. the testing is very broad in the number of waza and includes history, philosophy, jo and bokken, tanto, suwari, in yudansha it is even more of all these and mutlple attackers 2 or 3 simultaneous, and the dreaded "optionals" which is whatever sensei or the board ask for...
and even a teaching skit for yudansha... hope that helps...
oh and the only way not to test is to just not go to summer camp or seminars, but sometimes sensei will just drop the bomb my shihan got his godan that way sensei just announced that the shihan would demonstrate such and such and after wards announced he was promoted... i've seen the same for mudansha also. it is understood that everytime you step on the mat you are being tested... sensei is watching you...

Last edited by Edwin Neal : 01-11-2006 at 12:48 AM.

Edwin Neal

Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #30
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Just an FYI...

Some organizations/schools do actually fail students for tests...both mudansha tests and yudansha tests. I myself failed my 3rd kyu test at least once. In that organization, even though your instructor may find you ready to test, that in and of itself does not mean you will pass. Even failing a test can be part of the test. Some people fail a test, then train hard every day until the next test and perform accordingly. Others fail the same test, and come in two weeks before the next one and try to cram. The results are usually pretty obvious.

I was actually given a choice. I could have just continued to train and when the local instructor felt I was ready, I would get the rank. Or, I could test again. I told the senior instructor I would be very happy to test again, and that I was unhappy with my performance. I then trained just about every available day until the next test. It went a little better...

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 01-11-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #31
Aristeia
New Zealand

anyone else get frustrated with the barriers that are sometimes put up to learning here? You cannot even *ask* about your own testing? You can't talk directly to sensei but must go through sempai? You can't ask questions but must only learn by observation?

Does this environment strike anyone as the most efficient way to learn?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #32
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Anyone in the dojo where I train can ask the instructor directly. About pretty much anything. Which doesn't mean that he'll have an answer, or that you'll like the answer if he does have one.

One of the problems in martial art is that when it is transplanted to a different culture, weird things can happen and traditions can get kind of twisted.

On the other hand, learning by observation is very much respected in many cultures, and can be a valuable asset in and of itself. I don't think I would let that discourage me in my chosen pursuit. Anywho, if you simply want to learn the best way to fight as quickly as possible, walk up to someone sitting down in a bar and pour a beer over their head. You'll learn a lot very quickly.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #33
Aristeia
New Zealand

True dat. I've been thinking alot lately though about the difference between a "sensei" (a la aikido) and a "coach" (a la BJJ). I've had immense respect for my Aikido sensei down the years, no question. But my BJJ coaches have become friends very quickly and I can't say that's happened in Aikido. Although some of my students have become friends. So maybe it's not a sensei/coach dynamic but a western/japanese one. I certainly find the "friendship" based model more effective for both learning and teaching however.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #34
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I think it would be interesting to train aikido with a 'coach'...it's not something that I've done to this point.

I know I'd like training BJJ with either a coach or a Sensei...but I'm not sure my body would thank me...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #35
Aristeia
New Zealand

I think I've been a bit more coachy to some of my students. Informal sessions in the garage outside of class prior to gradings, that kind of thing. The results were pretty good.

BJJ doesn't need to be as hard on the body as you may think.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #36
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Bad knees, early arthritis. I actually think BJJ is probably safer than aikido in many cases. Not so far to fall...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #37
Edwin Neal
United_States

gotta get this in...

as I trained my sensei and senior yudansha watched me... when I was asked to test it was because they saw and felt what I could do and knew... to ask about your testing( when am I gonna be a black belt sensei?) shows that I'm probably more into colored belts than learning... I didnt prepare for months or weeks, or choreagraph a routine... I did the best I could do on the spot... this kind of testing style could be said to be a different tradition... the requirements for shodan or any grade are clearly known and are practiced all the time... the requirements up to 2nd kyu are a little lighter , and the requirements from 2nd kyu up into the dan ranks are more comprehensive... you dont fail tests... they are more a test for YOU to evaluate yourself... you wouldn't be asked to test if sensei and the yudansha didn't think your talents were at that level... no coaches, aikido is not a sport-- except for tomiki stuff but I never did that... to make students test and test and test just to collect testing fees ( some schools do that you know) is wrong... colored belts and ranks are pretty useless anyway each school is different... some use stripes on belt (stupid)... some even do camoflage belts ( gimme a break)... the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #38
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Generally agree, but with a few small exceptions.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
you dont fail tests... they are more a test for YOU to evaluate yourself... you wouldn't be asked to test if sensei and the yudansha didn't think your talents were at that level...
While I agree that the sensei probably wouldn't ask you to test if you weren't capable of performing at the needed level you still need to perform. If you don't pull it out you could fail. I haven't seen many people fail in our dojo but on rare occasion it does happen (once to one of Sensei's kids).

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
aikido is not a sport-- except for tomiki stuff
I would probably say that Tomiki or Shodokan aikido is a martial art that has a sporting component for those that want it.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
to make students test and test and test just to collect testing fees ( some schools do that you know) is wrong...
Playing devils advocate here a little... Is it wrong if the sensei isn't getting any of the money? There are numerous fees and expenses that go along with running a school. Perhaps the parent organization requires a sizable yearly affiliation fee. Maybe the rent/payment/taxes/utilities/maintenance/etc. on the building is expensive. Testing fees are another way to generate income and like it or not as students we are customers and the expenses of running a business get passed on to the customers.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...
This has been shown to be myth.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #39
Edwin Neal
United_States

if you ARE performing at that level then you ARE asked to test... so you ARE performing

as to fees ... i understand there are costs for a school, thats okay, but sometimes ... well greedy mcsensei has 36 kyu ranks and most people fail the first time you test for each rank ... etc... etc...
gimme some mo money....

there were no colored belts in "traditional schools" that is an american mcdojo thing... you just wore an obi (belt) you could tell a persons RANK(skill) by the wear on it ie if you practice you get better ...
not a myth just a cute way of saying you have to do the time on the mat (ground) to learn and improve... I love seeing shihan my age at seminars with nice shiny new belts ... my shihan puts on his tattered old black fading to grey belt .... maybe you'll notice the difference one day...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #40
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...
Hogwash. do a search on this site and you'll see plenty of references to the FACT that this is myth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people having different traditions in different organizations. But let's not step too far into fantasy...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #41
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I have a lot of trouble with the "don't ask" thing, which is also in force in my home dojo. The head instructor published a newsletter article in which she said (paraphrase) "If you ask to test, that is tatamount to saying that you don't think your teachers have noticed that you are ready to test. But this is nonsense--of course they have."

The problem with saying this is that it sets up the teacher as infallible, and being human beings, teachers are not infallible. Mine has been mistaken several times about what rank a given student has, about what is on the published test critieria, and about what a given student has been taught. I wouldn't mind these mistakes so much, but they are a terrible combo with "it's rude to ask, trust us to know what we are doing."

I do care about testing, perhaps more than I should, and if I were to find out that I didn't get tested because sensei forgot what rank I had--as seemed to happen to a kohai of mine--I would be furious. "This could have been avoided if you had just been willing to accept polite questions."

This is a Japanese tradition that does not seem well suited to our American students, including me, and I wish we could lose it. I won't speak to its usefulness or otherwise at other dojo, but it does not work well for us.

Mary Kaye
Old 01-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #42
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
gotta get this in...

as I trained my sensei and senior yudansha watched me... when I was asked to test it was because they saw and felt what I could do and knew... to ask about your testing( when am I gonna be a black belt sensei?) shows that I'm probably more into colored belts than learning
Surely testing is part of the system because it is some way important? Otherwise it would be there. If you grant that it is important in some respect, what's wrong with asking about it? Particularly when the instructor in question has already indicated they thought you were ready and then didn't follow through. Sounds alot like something thats fallen throught he cracks and should be questioned. Or if there is an actual reason why the OP hasn't been asked to test, the question could generate a discussion that could help point him to the areas of concern.
Quote:
... I didnt prepare for months or weeks, or choreagraph a routine... I did the best I could do on the spot... this kind of testing style could be said to be a different tradition... the requirements for shodan or any grade are clearly known and are practiced all the time... the requirements up to 2nd kyu are a little lighter , and the requirements from 2nd kyu up into the dan ranks are more comprehensive... you dont fail tests... they are more a test for YOU to evaluate yourself... you wouldn't be asked to test if sensei and the yudansha didn't think your talents were at that level
I go back and forwad on whether this is a good or a bad thing. I think the key is the school has to be clear which they are doing. Only allowing people to test that are clearly there, or failing those that don't. As opposed to allowing people to test because they haven't for a while but not failing them if they're not up to the mark.

Quote:

... no coaches, aikido is not a sport
That's not really my point. My point is that the relationship between coach and student, and their interaction tends to be different than between sensei and student. My contention is that I think the coach/student relationship, by being less formal, is more productive.
Quote:
colored belts and ranks are pretty useless anyway each school is different... some use stripes on belt (stupid)
Why is that any more stupid than having coloured belts at all? Or wearing archaic japanese clothing?
Quote:
... some even do camoflage belts ( gimme a break)... the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...
As has been pointed out this is fantasy and was never the case. Just a convenient fairy story thats been retrofitted to the belt system.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #43
Edwin Neal
United_States

come on ron its just a metaphor not literal... when i took my first test i was hoorified to learn i had to dye my nicely dingying white belt... the patina on your obi show youve put the time in on practice...
anyone can buy a black belt and say they are the grand poobah 11th dan of this or that style but its gonna look funny with that frensh shiny belt...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #44
Edwin Neal
United_States

internal consistency... we all have the testing requirements documented clearly... senseis should know what level their students are at... sounds like mary's sensei just dont take it like i feel a serious sensei or organization should but ki society is big and extended so with lots of dojos and shihans and all i'm sure there is some confusion... my sensei is the one who gives the rank so he should know... i like the on the spot testing that way You see what you got right then with out preparation... aint gonna get no prep on the street...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #45
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
if you ARE performing at that level then you ARE asked to test... so you ARE performing
For many people a formal test is the most stressfull time they will ever have to perform aikido techniques. If they are unable to perform them at a reasonable level under this stress they may need more practice.
I see merit in on-the-spot testing and I see merit in formal testing. Simple fact is my Sensei wants formal tests so we do formal tests.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
as to fees ... i understand there are costs for a school, thats okay, but sometimes ... well greedy mcsensei has 36 kyu ranks and most people fail the first time you test for each rank ... etc... etc...gimme some mo money....
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I also don't like it when I get price gouged by a mechanic, or a plumber, etc. On the flip side the sensei really shouldn't have to cover the schools expenses out of pocket. Hell, I got no problem with them making some money at it. I think this can be done fairly to both the sensei and the students.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
there were no colored belts in "traditional schools" that is an american mcdojo thing...
From JudoInfo.com:
Quote:
Other colored belts for students who had not yet achieved black belt originated later, when Judo began being practiced outside of Japan. Mikonosuke Kawaishi is generally regarded as the first to introduce various colored belts in Europe in 1935 when he started to teach Judo in Paris. He felt that western students would show greater progress if they had a visible system of many colored belts recognizing achievement and providing regular incentives. This system included white, yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple belts before the traditional brown and black belts.
So apparently it was a French thing and after reading his bio, I really don't think Mikonosuke Kawaishi could be considered a McSensei.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
... my shihan puts on his tattered old black fading to grey belt
As does mine. He'll also replace them if they reach a point where they need replacing.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
maybe you'll notice the difference one day...
And maybe you'll be able to state your points without coming across like pompous, self-important ass one day...

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #46
Edwin Neal
United_States

hey bronson that last was uncalled for up until then it was blending so smoothly...

once again i must say you are asked to test because you are that level... you ARE performing at that level heck how muck more stressful can just a regular end of class randori be with sensei and all the yudansha pushing you??? bout like testing every day YO! ... over-ritualization of the testing process is like over pakaging just unnecessary... What i bet some places make you hold your bokken with the handle to this way and the blade that way so that you don't insult your senseis and shihan... or mess of with flow of ki in the dojo... just ridiculous...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #47
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

Some sensei never tell people when to test, and if you want to advance in rank, you have to decide for yourself (hopefully in consultation with some sempai, at least) that you are ready to test. Frankly I get a little annoyed at all these people who think that their Sensei (and therefore every Sensei) must be completely in touch with every one of their students. There's a lot of varriation among dojo cultures.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #48
Ron Tisdale
United_States

And a lot of romanticizing takes place too. Sensei are not all knowing, omnipotent beings. They are people who teach (in this case) aikido. Let's not make too much of it.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 01-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #49
BC

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
That has been proven time and again to be false.

Robert Cronin
Old 01-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #50
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

If multiple people teach on multiple evenings, as is the case with our dojo, it is very hard for any one teacher to know all of the students in detail. I know our head instructor has students whom she sees no more than 5-6 times a year, and most of those are seminars. She is not able to attend every class--she has a demanding day job and a long commute.

This makes it difficult to use a model which relies on having one person who knows about all the students and is current on their level of ability. I think we've been ill-served by keeping such a model. It probably works very well if a single person is doing the teaching, but we have five.

I am not trying to diss my sensei here. I think she does a good job considering how difficult the problem is. But the Japanese model, which she feels compelled by association culture to use, is hard to adapt to our circumstances.

Mary Kaye