Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2003, 04:15 PM   #76
SmilingNage
United_States
Be the ball.....

Noonan,Noonan,Noonan,Noonan,Noonan,Noonan.....

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #77
Robert Neweef
Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
As someone who has lived, fought and trained in Japan for the better part of a decade, being critisized by you in this manner is laughable.
I'm sorry to see this type of bravado right off the bat.

Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #78
cody
Dojo: Aikido of Austin
aikiDOG = sherDOG

Quote:
Joshua Cripe (Usagi Yojimbo) wrote:
The main thing that bugs me is the name "AikiDog" or whatever it was. . . to call yourself a "dog" while practicing martial arts just makes me wonder what the holy hand pies is moving through that head of yours.
"Aikidog" is a play on words, referring to Sherdog.com, a very popular MMA website.

As for "sensei jeff's" website (is there some reason not to use the correct phrase "DeLucia Sensei"?), the only things about it that offend me are the poor grammar and web design.

Notice that no one jumps on Mitsu Yamashita or Fumio Sakurai for bringing MMA influences to Aikido. Also notice that DeLucia claims to have studied Aikido for longer than OSensei studied any of the various ryu that he based Aikido on. Is DeLucia unqualified to have worthwhile views on martial arts because he is non-asian?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #79
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: aikiDOG = sherDOG

Quote:
cody koeninger (cody) wrote:
Also notice that DeLucia claims to have studied Aikido for longer than OSensei studied any of the various ryu that he based Aikido on. Is DeLucia unqualified to have worthwhile views on martial arts because he is non-asian?
The claim is wrong of course and even then Ueshiba changed the name of what he was trained in to Aikido.

That said there are Japanese Aikidoists that also get flack for doing same but he's out there with a huge web site promoting it.

Put yourself out there is bikini briefs and you are fair game.

Peter R.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-24-2003, 01:37 AM   #80
Usagi Yojimbo
Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
My whole point about that comment is to call someone a dog is a most dishonourable statement, and to therefore bind together Aiki and dog in such a manner is a dishonouring remark to Aikido, as if a dog could practice it.

My head hurts...
Old 12-24-2003, 02:25 AM   #81
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
My whole point about that comment is to call someone a dog is a most dishonourable statement, and to therefore bind together Aiki and dog in such a manner is a dishonouring remark to Aikido, as if a dog could practice it.
In Chinese culture the dog is a symbol of loyalty and honesty. See below from a website on Chinese astrology. A quick search for the Japanese zodiac found an almost indentical description.
Quote:
People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people's confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.
From a site on Native American Totem Animals I found this:

Quote:
Dog energy is loyalty. It is through Dog that we learn to accept others as they are, and to serve others with no thought of self.
Some more folklore concerning dogs from choronzon.com
Quote:
Dogs - Faithfulness and protection, strong spirit. In Celtic from the Hound or the Dog (Abach) is an animal of the hunt, frequently associated with humanlike intelligence. The hounds of Fionn mac Cumhail, Bran and Sgeolainn, are actually transformed humans, The Cwn Annwn, are the Gabriel hounds that accompany Gwynn ap Nudd during the Wild Hunt as well as guarding the gates to the Underworld or Annwn the kingdom of the God of the Dead, Arawn. Cuchulain the Champion of Ulster gets his name from replacing the Hound of Cuchul that he kills. He is called the "Hound of Ulster" from this event. The hound is also his totem animal.Guardian hounds occur widely in shamanic Otherworldly lore. The Altaic shaman encounters a dog that guards the underworld realm of Erlik Khan. When the Yukaghir shaman follows the road to the kingdom of shadows, he finds an old woman's house guarded by a barking dog. In Koryak shamanism the entrance to the land of the dead is guarded by dogs. A dog with bared teeth guards the entrance to the undersea land of Takakapsaluk, Mother of the Sea Beasts, in Innuit shamanism. The custom of burying a dog and the skin of a favourite reindeer with a dead man was still current among Ugrian people of Siberia earlier this century.
Bronson (who happens to have been born in the year of the dog and is damn proud of it )

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-24-2003, 03:05 AM   #82
PeterR

Japan
Woof

Aiki-puppy

Old 12-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #83
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Meow...

Aikitten

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 12-26-2003, 12:27 AM   #84
Usagi Yojimbo
So should we start calling people dogs randomly on the street as a compliment or something? It's still generally not something one would proudly accept. People don't normally wish to die like a dog, think like a dog, or simply be called a dog.

My head hurts...
Old 12-26-2003, 01:17 AM   #85
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
So should we start calling people dogs randomly on the street as a compliment or something? It's still generally not something one would proudly accept. People don't normally wish to die like a dog, think like a dog, or simply be called a dog.
LOL - deviating from Aikido discussion I know but no matter what the word I used if I started randomly complimenting people on the street I could get into trouble.

The Aikidog term wasn't applied to others but himself and I must say the use of self depreciating labels has a long history especially on the internet boards.

If my memory serves me correctly the owner of this forum - the esteemed Jun Akiyama - used a far worse Aiki compound. Aikidog is tame by comparison and no worse then several other members on this very board. Take a look at the member list.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:21 AM   #86
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
you lucky dog!

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 12-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #87
SmilingNage
United_States
What I object to is the logic behind what Mr Delucia's calls his Aikido training, essentially reading a book. Reading a book doesnt make one qualified to become a teacher of any sort. Its not enough to be called a student either. At best you might qualify as a casual observer.

An example:

I am a long distance runner. At the local bookstore, There is a book on sprinting. After the book is read, I am now a sprinter.

Or a more relevant example:

Since I ve studied aikido x amount of years, I am qualified enough to read a book on Wing Chun and open up a Wing Chun training hall. If I trained in martial arts, then I can read a book on another martial art and become a teacher of that martial art. The logic is severely flawed.

Or yet another example:

I am a Aikido student. Since Aikido has roots in other arts like aiki jujitsu, etc, does that then qualify me to be a student if not a master/teacher of all the martial arts that make up the background of Aikido? Does it make me a Shinto follower as well. What the heck I might as well call myself a Shinto priest for that matter. In any case this type of logic is faulty and just doesnt add up.

Aikido is not a "if -then" statement. If I read an aikido book then I will be an aikido student or possibly a teacher of Aikido. Its very presumptuous and naive to have this perception. To label yourself an Aikido Teacher after such "training" is flat out fraudulent. Reading a book doesnt make you an Aikido teacher by any standards. You may say you teach Aikido, and have students, but having students doesnt make one a teacher of Aikido.

Mr Delucia may be a fine martial artist and fighter.I am sure he would make a great UFC coach to someone who pursues that style of fighting. Its a free country, He can teach what he has learned in the ring to whomever he wishes too. But reading a book doesnt convey the true knowledge of aikido techniques. That requires years of study and practice under the watchful eye of an Aikido Teacher, ie a person who has been certified to teach by other Aikido teacher(s) or Aikido organization. Dont call yourself an Aikido teacher if you havent earned that title thru training under a certified Aikido teacher.

The intent here is not to slander or disrespect Mr Delucia. Its my point of view that he is wrong to call himself an Aikido teacher. If he can produce Aikido credentials, then I have no problem with him calling himself an Aikido teacher. Further more I think its wrong and misleading to label your martial art movement as Combat Aikido. Dont associate what your doing with Aikido if you never trained in Aikido before. I am not doubting your system of martial arts. The name Combat Aikido implies that what your doing has something to do with Aikido, which it doesnt. Its your own style give it your own name. Dont bunch in a martial art's name, Aikido in this case, into your fighting style's name if you have never been instructed in Aikido before.

Be original in your name, its your style. Best wishes and good fortune in your endeavor.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #88
Usagi Yojimbo
The book must be read 10,000 times before one can truly master the art of page turning....

My head hurts...
Old 12-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #89
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Pardon my shaky-hips, lily-white naivete, but isn't "dog" some sort of hip-hop slang for "buddy" or something like that? Mr. Delucia is much cooler than I so I imagine he's up on such things, er, that is, Down! Baby! He be DOWN! Thass what I'm TALKIN' 'bout!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #90
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
I'm an Aiki-Monkey.

Jeanne
Old 12-27-2003, 06:23 AM   #91
TomanGaidin
I'm an Aiki-Hamster, myself.

Just my take on this issue.. I think it's a matter (IMHO) of whether Aikido's physical techniques alone without the philosophy are still enough for it to be called 'Aikido', or if it requires the philosophy as well. Or, conversely, whether Aikido with just the philosophy and no physical techniques is still 'Aikido'. Then again, just the name 'Combat Aikido' and that he's a MMA fighter doesn't necessarily mean this contradicts the 'Aikido philosophy', persay.

Going from the videos on DeLucia's site, it looks like he knows Aikido techniques and isn't just dressing up some other arts under the name. Personally, I say give him a chance, no matter that the web-site mightn't be to the liking of some. The aikido training he gives would seem to be both a mix of traditional aspects and also a little 'something new', which (again, IMHO) is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:38 AM   #92
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
This all reminds me of the to-do over gay marriage. We already know what Aikido is the same way we know what marriage is.

Just because someone wants to be thought of as doing Aikido (or Marriage) but wants to re-define the parameters, too bad. Either do it according to the definition or call it something else. That's hard on those who can't do it according to the definition or who want to rape a marketplace ripe for change, but at some point we need to embrace reason and call it what it is.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 12-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #93
Chris Raywood
[quote="William Oakes (SmilingNage)"]What I object to is the logic behind what Mr Delucia's calls his Aikido training, essentially reading a book. Reading a book doesnt make one qualified to become a teacher of any sort. Its not enough to be called a student either. At best you might qualify as a casual observer.

William,

I'm just curious about the comment referencing DeLucia Sensei just reading a book. I can't seem to find any indication of that fact on this thread. Would you please advise.

Regards,

Chris
Old 12-29-2003, 12:31 AM   #94
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
Jeanne Shepard wrote:
I'm an Aiki-Monkey.

Jeanne
Me is Aiking-kong.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:31 AM   #95
Vincent Munoz
Dojo: None
Philippines
reminder

to all,

PLEASE BE MATURE IN AIKIDO, PEOPLE WHO CRITIZED aikido are those who have not yet attain their maturity in aikido. When aikido got into your heart and life, and understand its principle - only then you can infact say that aikido is the best. Little knowledge is dangerous. When your pride starts to rise, that's the time you'll start to fall down - head first.

one in budo,

bong
Old 01-16-2004, 02:31 AM   #96
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Vincint, can you clarify what you mean, I have no idea how this relates to the thread? Did make me find a nice quote though

Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most unjust to youth.

-- Thomas A. Edison
Old 01-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #97
Michael Neal
Re: reminder

Quote:
Vincent Munoz wrote:
to all,

only then you can infact say that aikido is the best.
that statement lacks maturity, not that I am a shining example of maturity myself but ...
Old 01-17-2004, 03:50 AM   #98
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
Yes, nobody here is qualified to criticize aikido itself.

But we CAN criticize aikido training or techniques, and that's what most of us are doing now. To aikidog, that is.

I personally think that Aikido IS BEST, because it can fit whatever martial art situation, and non-martial art as well. All we've got to do to achieve it is keep training.

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 01-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #99
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Quote:
Maresa Sumardi (indomaresa) wrote:
Yes, nobody here is qualified to criticize aikido itself.

But we CAN criticize aikido training or techniques, and that's what most of us are doing now. To aikidog, that is.

I personally think that Aikido IS BEST, because it can fit whatever martial art situation, and non-martial art as well. All we've got to do to achieve it is keep training.
who ever is judging that ,nobody here is qualified to judge aikido itself ,is putting him or herself (at least in his or her own opinion)above everyone else.to criticize aikido training you are criticizing aikido.to say that the thing you're looking at is not aiki is like saying there must be no ghosts because i've never seen one.and a person who has done aikido only in dojos of traditional etiquete can can never have the same level as the one who has in addition a combative nhb experience ,never ever ever...
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #100
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Huh?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1