Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: A Christian perspective on Budo

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Hi Ewen,

Sorry for the thread drift.
Not at all, I don't consider it a thread drift. This is raising a very important point. I am glad you have challenged some of my preconceived ideas about budo. I had never considered the facistization of budo before.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote: View Post
Not at all, I don't consider it a thread drift. This is raising a very important point. I am glad you have challenged some of my preconceived ideas about budo. I had never considered the facistization of budo before.
You should - Morihei Ueshiba was right in the thick of it.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #28
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Hey aiki - if you're still here. Enjoying your article. Here's something we can chew on:
Quote:
Is it really enough for Christianity to eschew violence? Campaigning to stop violence and appealing to reason and morality may reach the majority of society, who abhor violence in their own right; but for the lovers of violence - the hateful, the extremists, those intoxicated on drugs or alcohol and thereby without their full rational faculties, the message will fall on deaf ears and darkened hearts.
We might want to be careful in judging. In fact, if you look at Jesus, he hung out with drunks, and whores, and sick people. Those kinds of people can often be much closer to God than you might think - with your rational facilities. On the other hand, he would barely give the Pharisees - the leaders of the "majority of society" - the time of day. They were so full of themselves and their laws, and Jesus knew it was a waste to try and tear down the mountains of crapola these guys had built. He later condenses all the hundreds of laws down into two: 1. Love God with all your might. 2. Love your neighbor as yourself. In fact, if you look at the Book of Thomas from the Nag Hammadi, Jesus even goes further, saying, "Love your neighbor because they are you. Talk about collapsing dualism!

If you want to see where true budo, aiki, and the fearless Christian warrior meet; Next time you see a homeless person sitting on the curb, ask them if they'd like something to eat. Then go buy some coffee and a sandwich for both of you - and sit down together with them.

Last edited by Dan Richards : 02-20-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
aiki-jujutsuka

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't disagree with you, Christians should be impartial - in fact the Bible calls partiality a sin. It is not our place to judge another - again Jesus' teachings and example in this area is very clear. However, I think you misunderstood what I was saying in this paragraph - I was addressing the attitude, prevelant amongst many Christians that violence in all forms (including self-defence) is wrong and that Christians shouldn't engage in martial arts but rather seek only pacifistic approaches to violent behaviour or patterns in society. There seems to be a strange sort of fatalism among some Christians that if they're attacked or mugged then either God will supernaturally protect them or it is God's will for them to be beaten and victimized. I don't hold to this view; I believe God has equipped human beings to be able to reasonably defend themselves without necessarily becoming violent people ourselves and I don't believe (as I hope I explained) that Jesus teaches strict, dogmatic pacifism.

I hope this helps clear things up but I am happy to explain myself further if you'd like.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
aiki-jujutsuka

I have finally written my second blog on a Christian perspective on Budo. I've decided to post it in this existing thread rather than risking upsetting anybody by starting a new thread. My new blog focusses on the nature of mercy in light of Christianity and Budo and the synergy between them. I hope this new blog gives food for thought like my original and brings something of interest and hopefully some kind of nuance to the subject.

http://myjujutsujourney.blogspot.co....n-budo-ii.html
Old 12-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #31
Sojourner
Australia

I am not sure if you have heard of the group called United Martial Artists for Christ? They go around giving demonstrations and seminars and so forth and work to try and embrace people into martial arts. A number of people have struggled with this believing that Martial Arts are in some way Spiritual and replace Religious belief which has not been my experience. Whilst a Martial Art might have some good pointers to the way, it will never be the actual way by itself in isolation.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unite...ation=timeline