Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Making a short film, hopefully featuring Aikido (DC, No. VA area)

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote: View Post
Ron Tisdale, yes we could definitely use some YoshinOrcs
This appears to be quite an Epic gathering - the Aikibunnies, YoshinOrcs and Shodothugs all in one place at the same time.

What fun.

Regards

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
MM
United_States

I'm not too far from DC or NoVA. Depending on schedule, I might be able to help out in some way.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #28
Michael Neal

Great Mark, very cool.

I am getting very encouraged I was almost sure this would get no interest but decided to try anyway just in case.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #29
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Come on, yudansha, a HD Camera, and the chance to dress up and make fools of ourselves and possibly get attention? are you serious?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
Michael Neal

Anyone have any ideas for locations? This will help a lot with the writing. We also have to consider the impact of people running around with costumes and weapons, we have to be out of sight or notify the police that we are shooting so we don't all get thrown in the slammer or shot accidentally
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #31
MikeLogan

United_States

Sugar loaf mountain on rte 270 could offer both panoramic views of sunrise or set, and has a nice flat space at the top, along with a spooky sort of stone watch hut for one of the mountain's sides, there is parking somewhat toward the top and the peak approach is doable by 3 routes. I recommend it to anyone, but it might be great for the locale of a fight scene.

Also, you could consider great falls park at the potomac river and RTE 495(clickety). There are a few foot bridges with stunning scenery on either side, and I believe both are out of sight of the other.

The trouble is that it may be difficult having undisputed access to these spaces (sugar loaf might be much easier post season)

Some sugarloaf images
fort (watch house)

top of fort

steps at the fort

nice path,

there are more images at this link: Sugar Loaf Mountain gallery(click). By the way, sugar loaf is only 42 miles from downtown arlington; exit 22 RTE 109 off of RTE 270

hopefully not too many people will mind how hard i am geeking out on this.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #32
Michael Neal

very very cool location, there are other potential spots in the Appalachian region but not with those cool stone features. Not sure how we could get permission to film here, is it run by a park service?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #33
MikeLogan

United_States

It seems to me that sugar loaf is a registered natural landmark, maintained by a non-profit corporation. It is outside the MD park system, so the beauracracy to deal with should be less by comparison. A letter, and perhaps a donation to help fix a fence or stair-way might go a long way. Their main website is fairly informative. I will read up on the organization.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #34
Michael Neal

This is great, very medieval. Maybe we can contrast this scene with another one in an urban/industrial setting.

Great Falls is good too but will be difficult to get permission, might have to do something quick and Guerrilla style there, like people simply walking over the bridge then next to the river. The scenery there reminds me a lot of Last of the Mohicans.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 09-01-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #35
Michael Neal

Right before I was going to buy the Panasonic GH1 the new Canon 7D was just announced, that means much better picture quality and versatility.

Now I will have my Canon HV30 HD camcorder, the Canon 7D, and with a rented XHA1 or something similar we can shoot 3 perspectives of each scene at the same time. Won't have to shoot scenes over and over with different camera angles each time.

Since we should probably only have about a 5-10 minute run time, it should be a snap.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 09-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #36
Michael Neal

I definitely think sugarloaf mountain would work for shooting a quick dialogue scene which we can then cut to another location that has the same type of rock features minus the stone fort.

I don't think they will allow us to run around with swords and stuff there, LOL. But a quick scene shot in stealth mode would be great, have to have those visuals.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 09-01-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #37
Aiki-Budo
Dojo: AikiBujutsu AikiBudo, Budo Providence.
United_States

It is very important not only to capture the essence of the Art, but a mix of everything so that in a short, yet captivating way the viewer can capture the true meaning behind our Arts.

Know you can count on me bless your Heart, fell free to Email me at any time, I've sent you a message on your blog.

Last edited by Aiki-Budo : 09-02-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
Michael Neal

Luis that argument you have been having with Dennis Hooker really gives me pause, most of the people involved in this project are part of the same organization and know him well. I am not sure it would be a good idea for you to be involved in this project.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #39
Michael Neal

Hey guys, please send me an email at mtaneal@gmail.com if you want to be informed of the major updates to this project. I am putting together a distribution list, I won't email very often I just don't want to bother people at Aikiweb with this indefinitely. I will send announcements about a shooting date, location, and other important details like props and costumes (if we use any).

I am also thinking we need to start simplifying already, I think all we should aim for right now is one small fight scene. If it it turns out good maybe more people will want to get involved for part 2.

You can also keep up to speed at http://monasticdigital.blogspot.com

The working title for the film is Knights of the Cataclysm
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
Michael Neal

It has been years since this was originally discussed but this is actually going into production this fall as a web series based in the Washington DC area. We are still looking for people: actors, fight choreography, extras, film crew, and martial arts consultants (especially in the subject of Japanese sword).

https://www.facebook.com/swordsofinsurgency
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

i could be an extra. most action films now a day, the asian guy usually gets kill first so i am willing to play that part of dying a horrible creaming death. and usually, there is a screaming blond bimbo get killed in the middle somewhere. i am pretty sure i haven't seen a u.s. based movie that the asian guy got the girl or even remotely near a girl other than trying some ninja moves which usually ended up with him dying in some sort of horrible death. so ya, i can be the extra.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
Michael Neal

Haven't you seen The Walking Dead? The Asian gets the girl man, and a white girl too!

Movies suck right now, and Hollywood is suffering. The big thing happening now are these cable shows like Walking Dead, Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc.

Our web series, Swords Of Insurgency, has 2 Latinos in major roles and we would love to have Asians as well, just haven't had any Asian express any interest yet. The 2 main protagonists have a distant family connection to a samurai clan in Japan. If we had Asians in the beginning to fill these roles they would be there for sure. We now just have to play off the Latino leads as mixed race.

You are more than welcome to be something other than a dead extra!