Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-07-2003, 12:48 AM   #26
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Hi David,

thanks for the post, but one thing is how can i realize that i have 'Takuan' within me? Is this 'Takuan' means the 'center'? Is it through years of training before I realize the 'Takuan' within me?

looking foward to train with you too, which part of KL do you train?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:49 AM   #27
justinm
United Kingdom
I was introducing a new student to the rest of the class a few months back, and while doing so I realised that 4 out of the 5 people on the mat that day were school teachers.

Interesting.

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 08-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Quote:
David Yap wrote:
Touching on Ron's statement - I gather that he meant more intellecture people do Aikido than any other martial arts. IMO, that's just general statement without substance.

Still searching ..

David
Hi David,

It is at this point, cause I haven't found the article yet I had to take a friend to the emergency room last night (non-aikido related). What I remember the article saying was that in terms of formal education (high school, college, post-graduate) aikido students tended to have more education than other practitioners. I will try to find the relevant article, and post any corrections then.

Ron
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 AM   #29
David Yap
Malaysia
Hi Reza,

Takuan was a Zen Buddhist monk whose wisdom was seek by all the top swordmen of Japan. I assume that you have read the "Books of Five Rings" by Musashi

I now train under Jun Yamada shihan at Aikikai M'sia HQ dojo.

See you there.

David
Old 08-08-2003, 05:40 AM   #30
David Yap
Malaysia
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hi David,

It is at this point, cause I haven't found the article yet I had to take a friend to the emergency room last night (non-aikido related). What I remember the article saying was that in terms of formal education (high school, college, post-graduate) aikido students tended to have more education than other practitioners. I will try to find the relevant article, and post any corrections then.

Ron
Hi Ron,

I'm a certified accountant and I've trained in various martial arts. Currently, I do karate, aikido, push-hands and archery. Generally, when you carry out a statistical study you need to categorize the samples, e.g. by age groups etc.

I started karate when I was 14. Some of us (my dojo mates)have become professionals in our chosen fields - accountants, lawyers, surgeons, educationists etc. You need to be aware that certain martial arts (esp. external arts) have more forceful physical contacts compared to aikido and as we aged, we do not have the physics for such vigorous arts. Most of us (who are still interested in MA) will switch to softer internal art forms such as Tai-Chi, Chi Gong and even Aikido. The criteria is more on age rather than intellecture backgrounds. If you visit the university campus today, which in MA clubs will you find the most students?

See my point.

David
Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 AM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hey, I'm not one to argue statistics with a statistitian(sp). I'm just passing on the article, once I get time to find it (had practise last night, 2 hours, hot bath and sleep afterward).

I did wrestling in high school and college, kickboxing and Hung Gar Kung Fu in college, Shotokan in grad school overseas, then more kickboxing, then aikido. So our MA backgrounds are pretty much on par as far as variety. Hopefully I'll find the article this weekend, then you can take it up with the authors...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)