Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2002, 08:51 AM   #1
Ali B
United Kingdom
Question Not practicing

Hi guys, this is my first ever post but I have been reading all of yours with interest. I have not been able to practice very much this year (new job and no car).

I feel very disapointed about it, I am used to practicing at least 3 times a week. Can any one tell me what I should do to enhance my aikido life?

If I don´t get to practice am I still an aikidoka?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Not practicing

Quote:
Originally posted by Ali B
Can any one tell me what I should do to enhance my aikido life?
This is covered somewhat over in the "Beginners Help Please" thread.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...0857#post20857 .

My other advice is to tackle the problem by getting some form of transportation to the dojo.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-22-2002, 09:47 AM   #3
Ali B
United Kingdom
Thumbs down Thanks for the advice

The problem is not really transport but hours of work clashing with practice time. I have been practicing for 6 years steadily and now feel like I´m missing so much.

My teacher is Japanese and I don´t know how long I´ll be living in Spain, so I want to practice with him as much as possible before going home to the U.K

If I had my way I´d give up working and practice every day. I can´t do that just yet, so I´m just having a good moan about it instead!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:53 AM   #4
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
If you cannot practice aikido, can you practice something else? When you return to aikido, you will have an expanded foundation of knowledge on which you can build your training.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Ali B
United Kingdom
Yes, its finding something else to do. The nearest I can come up with is a salsa (dance) class, I´m not sure I´m ready for that yet. I live in Spain, so my choices are limited. I don´t want to be a cry baby, I miss my aikido so much.

Thanks for your advice, I know others understand the feeling. I shall try to be more positive and take heart that it is not forever.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
Condolences on being able to practice. It is very hard to learn Aikido without someone else. You can read, watch videos, and practice the principles (enter & blend, redirect & unbalance, throw or control, let go & move on) in other areas of your life. Practicing the Tenkan footwork to a driving rhythm while maintaing proper alignment helps. Mental rehearsal is used by a lot of athelets during a lay off.

IMHO, there are a lot of people who practice Aikido who are Aikidokas beacuse they have not accept the practice and philosphy as a part of their identity. But, once you are, I guess you are.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!