Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2002, 05:22 AM   #1
Ta Kung
Defense against kicks?

Hi!

At practise, we sometimes do defence against kicks (mostly mae geri and mawashi geri). I've got the impression that this is not common. Do you practise defence against kicks at you dojo? If not, why?

And also, if you do kick, do you kick with your guard up or without guard? Most people in my class kick without guard, which makes it easy to do the technique. However, this is not (in my opinion) an honest attack. Any thoughts from the people out there?

Regards,

Patrik
Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 AM   #2
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
The standard defense is to raise your knee for defense of kicks up to waist, raise or lower the bokken to defend / blend with kicks above the waist, or to learn to not be there when they arrive.

If you should be at the end of a kick, then I would say you need to blend and use the momentum of the opposing force to take away balance and move on to one of your Aikido techniques.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:59 AM   #3
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

We train to defend against kicks at my dojo on a regular basis. Maegeri and Yokogeri are the two kicks we concentrate on the most.

When we practice these techniques, the students are taught to keep their "guard" up when performing the kicks.

Kicking is a rather common attack, this is why we incorporate techniques against kicks into our training.

My wife and I attended the 25th Anniversary Seminar with Koichi Kashiwaya Sensei at the Rocky Mountain Ki Society Dojo in Boulder, CO a few weeks ago. Kashiwaya Sensei stated that often a kick may be combined with another type of attack, such as Ryotedori. We practiced performing Ryotedori Tenchinage in comination with Uke kicking. In this case, the execution of Tenchinage involved using a leg sweep.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:29 AM   #4
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Quote:
Louis A. Sharpe, Jr. (lt-rentaroo) wrote:
We practiced performing Ryotedori Tenchinage in comination with Uke kicking. In this case, the execution of Tenchinage involved using a leg sweep.
Tenchinage, one of my favorites! At our school, we work on deflecting kicks. Usually its a kick followed by a series of punches. As it was mentioned, most kicks are openings for other forms of striking as the kick is meant to close the distance between uke and nage.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 10-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #5
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
We train quite a bit against kicks of all types.

We stress the importance of occupying the kicker's space and impede his/her range of effectiveness.

It's kind of like tachidori techniques...

You want to be far away from the business end of a sword. And often the safest place is right next to the attacker.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 10-04-2002, 07:32 AM   #6
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
We've only trained defense against kicks one time. It was when I was still 6th kyu. During individual warm up I decided to do some leg exercises from my Tae Kwon Do days and my sensei decided to devote the entire session to kick defence.

Kicks come in these basic variants

snap kicks

piercing side kicks

high and low sweeps (inside and outside)

(did I forget any?)

against both snap kicks and sweeping/hooking kicks above the knee area, the defence was to step in past the kicking leg and either grab the leg or go in towards the body for a throw. I dont know how much of this was aikido, because my sensei also has a high rank in karate and he stressed that this session was dedicated to defence.

for the side kick it is very difficult to go past, so the defence here was to keep distance and move in after the kick had finished.

The best defense against kicks I find is to get close to the opponent (like Mike said). My flat mate is a Tae Kwon Do blackbelt and we do some friendly sparring every once in a while. If I am outside his range he will usually rush in with some mad feint combo kicks and get me, but if I can avoid his first kick and go in, often I can catch him off balance (now he is aware of this and it is not easy to pull off).

From Tae Kwon Do, I have other defenses, like hard blocking with either arms or legs, or kicking the leg first, usually aiming for his knee and trying to skid the leg in towards his groin, which is very open during kicks. But these blocks are painful and they remind me why I quit Tae Kwon Do in the first place.

Oh and I never ever kick without a guard up. Now I mostly do chinese style kicking, never above the waist. The arm on the same side as the leg is stretched out to meet any incoming attacks, the other one ready to guard the groin.

Last edited by gasman : 10-04-2002 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #7
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Yonkyo on the leg is very very painful

Old 10-04-2002, 08:05 AM   #8
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
innit

on a side note: our assistant sensei taught us how to do yonkyo on the opponents ankle using your own feet (instead of the hands). useful from the ground.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:08 AM   #9
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Quote:
Sigurd Rage (gasman) wrote:
innit

on a side note: our assistant sensei taught us how to do yonkyo on the opponents ankle using your own feet (instead of the hands). useful from the ground.

I'm going to have to try that