Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
jam
Dojo: Kai Shin Kai
Scotland
Has anyone bought a Gi or Hakama from the Hombu Dojo?

Hi, I am going over to Japan in a couple of weeks and hope to train at the Hombu Dojo. Probably just one class because I won't be in Tokyo for long. I just passed my Shodan grading last month and want to treat myself to a good Hakama, does anyone know how much they cost from the Hombu Dojo?

I am also considering buying a new Gi at the same time, does anyone know how much one would cost at the Hombu Dojo?

I have been searching online to get an idea of how much they might be, but can't find anything. Would really like to have an idea so that I can sort out how much money to take over. Any info would be great!

Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Has anyone bought a Gi or Hakama from the Hombu Dojo?

As far as I know, the people who train at honbu get their gear from Iwata. It should just be walking distance from the dojo, or a short train ride.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOAuUmC6lY
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

By the way, I got my hakama and belt there, but not my gi. The hakama has been very good, except that some of the stitching came undone around the koshi-ita when I got it cleaned. It was easy enough to fix though. The people there don't speak a lot of English, but they are very helpful. They will ou ekeep a record of your size measurements if you ever want to order anything else.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Hi James
If you plan to go to Kyoto I can recommend www.tozando.com. They do good work. If you order and pay your items up front they can even mail it with "Black Cat" to your hotel/ryokan so that it will be ready for you once you get there. They have a basic aikido gi which I like a lot. They are a bit big however until you get them washed.

Also they have great hakamas. For traveling a tetron hakama may be what you are looking for. The cotton ones wrinkle quite easily.

BTW: where are you going to stay in Tokyo? Allow me to suggest www.kimiryokan.jp. The owner there it a nidan in Aikido (I think) and it's a great place to stay at a very reasonable price. It's in Ikebukoro and it's quite convenient to get to hombu dojo from there. Get a railpass

Have a great trip

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
Hi James
If you plan to go to Kyoto I can recommend www.tozando.com. They do good work. If you order and pay your items up front they can even mail it with "Black Cat" to your hotel/ryokan so that it will be ready for you once you get there. They have a basic aikido gi which I like a lot. They are a bit big however until you get them washed.

Also they have great hakamas. For traveling a tetron hakama may be what you are looking for. The cotton ones wrinkle quite easily.

BTW: where are you going to stay in Tokyo? Allow me to suggest www.kimiryokan.jp. The owner there it a nidan in Aikido (I think) and it's a great place to stay at a very reasonable price. It's in Ikebukoro and it's quite convenient to get to hombu dojo from there. Get a railpass

Have a great trip

JJ
I second kimi ryokan. I've met and trained with the owner, Minato-san, and he is very nice. I also have a tetron hakama. It is very low maintenance. I recently bought a cotton one for special occasions, but I haven't worn it yet, so I can't comment on that.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
jam
Scotland

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
As far as I know, the people who train at honbu get their gear from Iwata. It should just be walking distance from the dojo, or a short train ride.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html
Hi Robin, thanks for the link, this was exactly what I was looking for. I think I am just going to take a Gi over with me, not sure I can afford one in Japan!

I'm still going to buy a Hakama though, so I'll head over to Shinjuku during my first couple of days in Tokyo and pick one up from Iwata.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
jam
Scotland

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
Hi James
If you plan to go to Kyoto I can recommend www.tozando.com
Hi Jørgen, thanks for the information.

I have already booked all my accommodation for the trip. I'm just staying in a Hotel (Hotel Nihonbashi Villa) since it is quite close to Tokyo Station. We will be staying in a couple of different Ryokans when travelling across Japan.

We have got Japan Rail passes so are going to be travelling as far west as Kyoto and up north to Kanazawa, stopping and visiting other areas along the way.

I can't wait!