Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Purchasing a Hakama

I am looking to purchase an hakama. As my funds are limited, I found two local companies and wanted to know if anyone has purchased from them before and what are your thoughts. The two companies are Nine Circles USA and Aikido 24. I am interested in their cotton hakamas. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Purchasing a Hakama

Last one I bought was from e-bogu.com
http://www.e-bogu.com/Aikido-Hakama-s/131.htm

Been very happy with it and they embroider as well. I have the soft koshida and the longer himo so I can tie it off in the front.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Someone in our dojo ordered one from Aikido 24 and has had a few problems. I guess they got swamped with orders for Bu Jin stuff and they are having some issues with their tailor. But they seem to be trying to make it right for him. The new but wrong size Bu Jin they sent does not look as nice as the old Bu Jin Stuff.

Tozando is currently having a spring sale on them that might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.
What' s wrong with bying "in Japan"?

Last edited by akiy : 04-19-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
What' s wrong with bying "in Japan"?
Nothing is wrong with buying in Japan. But the cost of shipping is a bit much.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Ok, yes: I am so used to it, I didn't consider that. Sorry.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
inframan
United_States

Nine Circles is a great company, customer service is great, they are great at answering any questions about thier products.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Someone in our dojo ordered one from Aikido 24 and has had a few problems. I guess they got swamped with orders for Bu Jin stuff and they are having some issues with their tailor. But they seem to be trying to make it right for him. The new but wrong size Bu Jin they sent does not look as nice as the old Bu Jin Stuff.

Tozando is currently having a spring sale on them that might make it worth buying from them even though they are in Japan.
I'd be the one she's talking about. While it does take awhile to get things made, it does happen. And while they aren't the same as the old Bu Jin, they're still nice. Plus, they really have been working hard at trying to make sure I have a hakama I'm happy with.

I've also had problems with Tozando, but since it was the same problem I had with Bu Jin (the hakama was shorter than I expected), I can only conclude I've been wearing it wrong. Then again, if when I try to adjust it's still short and unstable.

Both are good companies, but be sure you know exactly what you're ordering before you do so. My old +3 Hakama of the Ancients was already missized and I seem to have picked up some bad wardrobe habits from it. Don't Do What Greggy Don't Does.

BTW, I've decided to keep both even though they don't fit. If anyone is looking for a 34" long new hakama....

Last edited by GMaroda : 04-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post

Both are good companies, but be sure you know exactly what you're ordering before you do so. My old +3 Hakama of the Ancients was already missized and I seem to have picked up some bad wardrobe habits from it. Don't Do What Greggy Don't Does.
I don't think the conclusion we reached in the dojo the other day was that you are wearing it wrong. It is more that you wear it in a different place on your body than is anticipated by the measurement instructions. For those who have an old hakama the better idea would be to measure from the bottom of the koshita, the length to your ankle when you have the old one on instead of just from you hip bone. For those who do not yet own a hakama... maybe borrow one to try on.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I've also had problems with Tozando, but since it was the same problem I had with Bu Jin (the hakama was shorter than I expected), I can only conclude I've been wearing it wrong. Then again, if when I try to adjust it's still short and unstable.
you definitely don't want to wear an unstable hakama. it might explode and makes you do ukemi for no good reason at all. and the way to deal with short hakama is to cut it further up above the knee. it looks better that way.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
fremoy
Dojo: Ki Federation of GB
United Kingdom

I've had cotton and the polyester mix and find the polyester hangs more straight and less prone to hold dirt and creases. It has a darker finish to cotton too. I'm going to buy another polyester and have the cotton for backup.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mark Gorman wrote: View Post
I've had cotton and the polyester mix and find the polyester hangs more straight and less prone to hold dirt and creases. It has a darker finish to cotton too. I'm going to buy another polyester and have the cotton for backup.
Tetron is even better!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
I don't think the conclusion we reached in the dojo the other day was that you are wearing it wrong. It is more that you wear it in a different place on your body than is anticipated by the measurement instructions. For those who have an old hakama the better idea would be to measure from the bottom of the koshita, the length to your ankle when you have the old one on instead of just from you hip bone. For those who do not yet own a hakama... maybe borrow one to try on.
Wrong is perhaps a bit strong, but yes, I do wear it on a different place than the measurements asked for would suggest. Of course, that's because my old hakama, the one I've had since 1995, never fit me to begin with!

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
you definitely don't want to wear an unstable hakama. it might explode and makes you do ukemi for no good reason at all. and the way to deal with short hakama is to cut it further up above the knee. it looks better that way.
Oh, no. It's short from the bottom and unstable from the top! That's even worse! It falls down and makes you do ukemi for good reason: getting out of the room before everyone realizes you go commando under your skirt!!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Thanks for all of your comments. I have been a long time user of Tozando. But due to the economy, the value of the dollar tanking, and the extreme S & H cost, I have decided to buy local. I did not want a BuJin hakama because they are not the same. I was going to purchase the cotton hakama that is not listed as BuJin on the Aikido24 site.

The Trenton hakama was also mentioned. I did have one before, but it seems to me to be better suited as a back up hakama. It just seems a little cheesy. If anyone has had theirs for a long time, please let me know and I might consider it. Right now, I am leaning towards Nine CIrcles. My last option is to drive to Baltimore to the Kyotot store and purchase one from there.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Tetron is even better!
But does it last and for how long?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
But does it last and for how long?
Can't answer for ANY fiber - too many variables in how folks use them, climate, etc. Some people will rip anything to shreds within a few years. Others won't.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Can't answer for ANY fiber - too many variables in how folks use them, climate, etc. Some people will rip anything to shreds within a few years. Others won't.
Well I just replaced my lost hakama with the tetron one from ebogu. It was very affordable so I ordered it a few days ago. Got it today so I'm looking forward to putting it to the test this week, as well as our Aiki Taisai on the weekend!!!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

I'd still highly recommend the 'new' Bujin ones from Aikido24... I bought the heavyweight cotton one in blue and it's virtually identical to my old Bujin ones - the only noticeable difference was that they now stitch the inner pleats (not the front visible ones).

Basically, they are still great quality IMHO.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk