Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Adam Garrison

Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
United_States
Smile Dojos in N. Japan - need advice!

Greetings to all!

I am in dire need of some advice from those of you who have traveled and trained in Japan. Let me briefly explain my situation...

My wife & I are looking to move to Japan for a few years in about six months, as soon as she works out the details regarding her employment in Yamagata (Yamagata-ken). She is essentially going to move with me just because she knows that it has been a dream of mine to live and train in Japan for a period of time.

My fear is...how do I know that the area where I am going to be living is going to have a solid aikido dojo with a regular schedule of classes available? It seems that the majority of dojos, or at least ones that I can find via the web, are located in southern or central Honshu.

I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback from a few folks before we commit and are stranded in an area where training will require a considerable travel investment.

I know that the late Rinjiro Shirata Sensei had a dojo in Yamagata (right?), and that John Stevens teaches in Sendai when he is not traveling. Is Shirata Sensei's dojo in Yamagata still operating, and alive with his spirit of traditional aikido practice? If so...then I will be excited and hope that I might be able to train there. If not, can anyone offer any suggestions concerning the dojos in Northern Honshu? I appreciate any advice or information that anyone has to offer.

Cheers,

Adam Garrison
Okinawa Aikikai, US Dojos
Washinton, DC

Adam Garrison
Okinawa Aikikai / US Dojos - Washington DC
Systema DC / NVA Study Group
Old 08-25-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
If you email me I might be able to provide a contact.

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Dojos in N. Japan - need advice!

Quote:
Adam Garrison wrote:
I know that the late Rinjiro Shirata Sensei had a dojo in Yamagata (right?), and that John Stevens teaches in Sendai when he is not traveling. Is Shirata Sensei's dojo in Yamagata still operating, and alive with his spirit of traditional aikido practice? If so...then I will be excited and hope that I might be able to train there. If not, can anyone offer any suggestions concerning the dojos in Northern Honshu? I appreciate any advice or information that anyone has to offer.
There's a list of Yamagata dojo at http://www.aikido.ne.jp/html_j/dojo/yamagata.html , the Aikikai home page also has a list of Aikikai dojo throughout Japan at http://www.aikikai.or.jp/ .

Stevens has (as far as I know) a group going. If you're in the area I strongly recommend that you check out Funakoshi and his group.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-27-2003, 07:55 AM   #4
Adam Garrison

Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
United_States
Ron & Chris,

Thanks for the invaluable info!

Does anyone out there have any recommendations on how a gaijin can go about finding a job in Japan once he gets there? My wife will most certainly have a job soon, and I will have to go over on a dependent's visa intitially (which does not allow me to work, if I understand the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site correctly).

Any Advice from anyone out there who has had to walk a similar path?

Adam G.

Adam Garrison
Okinawa Aikikai / US Dojos - Washington DC
Systema DC / NVA Study Group
Old 08-27-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
PRapoza
Dojo: Cape Cod Aikido Kenkyukai 541 Thomas Landers Rd., East Falmouth
Dear Adam,

You are very fortunate to be training near one of the best teachers I know of. His name is Kadoya sensei. His web address is http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/%7Eshonai/

You'll have to go and train with him to see what I mean. Please email me with any questions. Let me know how it goes.

Paul Rapoza

capecodaikido.com

P.S. His english is excellent, by the way.

Last edited by PRapoza : 08-27-2003 at 09:21 AM.