Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Josh Lerner

United_States
BJJ and Connection

I came across this review of a Rickson Gracie seminar and thought that people here might find it interesting. I don't know who wrote it.

Rickson Gracie stands at the center of the enormous Gracie Academy mat and begins to share. I choose the word share over teach because one gets the feeling immediately that the information he's transmitting is the essence of his jiu-jitsu—the art that defines him. He isn't phoning in a series of random techniques to amaze us, he's letting us in on the very thing that makes his jiu-jitsu the envy of perhaps every world champion that's rolled with him—he calls it connection.
I don't know whose arm is around my neck, but I perform a technique I just saw Rickson demonstrate. I execute the move immediately and turn to find that my attacker is a broadly smiling Rorion Gracie. He pats me on the back and asks me to do it again. He's noticeably enthusiastic about the material and our exposure to it. He's pleased and I'm relieved when I repeat the movement correctly. There's always pressure wearing a black belt and having a Gracie family member—a red belt no less—ask you to perform a technique. I thank him for his help, and when his back turns I scurry over to a group of blue belts that seem to have an odd man out. The technique was a way to lift an attacker who has reached around your neck from behind without committing his weight either forward or backward. Without the benefit of his weight falling into you, lifting is difficult. Rickson shows us to bend at our hips the way we would if we were sitting into a deep chair, and then walk backward to get our hips under our opponent's center of gravity. In any other seminar, this might simply be a basic self-defense technique, but Rickson uses this to as an introduction to the idea that weight can be easier to move if approached from the correct angle. He's talking about leverage—a word that is frequently tossed around in jiu-jitsu circles; but as Rickson calls black belt after black belt forward and none are able to lift their opponents the way he can, one begins to realize that the concept might be familiar to most of us, but perhaps not deeply understood.

Rickson whistles through his fingers and everyone stops to watch as he calls forward a black belt and asks him to keep his balance. Rickson then grabs his partner's gi at the shoulder and tugs and pushes while the black belt falls forward then backward, clearly out of balance. The roles are then reversed and the black belt pushes and pulls, but Rickson's steps forward and backward are small and balanced, and we begin to see how connection is the a relationship between the attacker's base and our own. Soon it's our turn to push and pull each other. We begin with basic judo grips on each other's lapels, and when my partner pushes, my weight transfers to my front leg, and when he pulls it transfers to my back leg. Fair enough—anyone who's wrestled or trained in judo will be familiar with the shifting of weight from leg to leg—but Rickson points out that when you're connected, there is a certain tension in the arms as well as the legs, and that allowing that tension to disappear is to give up the connection you have to your opponent. Keep in mind that the goal here isn't to teach you how to throw or avoid being thrown—not specifically—it's to demonstrate the interaction between connected and disconnected. The first time I grab my blue belted partner, he's easy to move. He reflects a bit on what Rickson said, and his balance becomes better and I have to push or pull harder to get him to step. He pushes me and I feel the sense of balance that Rickson described. I don't feel it perfectly, but I have a better sense of control over my base, even as my opponent begins to pull and push with more intensity. There isn't a good way to describe this technically—at no time does Rickson provide you with a set of instructions to follow—because Rickson is trying to convey a feeling rather than a sequence. When we are connected, we shift our weight in a way that doesn't give our attacker anything to use against us. Rickson spends more time on this exercise than on any other, and with good reason, for it shows how being connected allows your base to remain independent of your opponent's actions, while his lack of connection allows you to manipulate his weight and posture.

Rickson gathers us around and asks me to grab him around the waist while he pushes into me. I do the best I can, but he adjusts my shoulder so that it becomes the point of connection between my base and his, and suddenly I'm stronger. The difference wasn't necessarily my posture, but the way the shoulder allowed me to connect to him more powerfully than with the broad surface of my chest. The shoulder represented a narrow point through which I could direct my "base" or my weight—neither word is appropriate, yet they are closest I can think of without using the word "energy"—a term I despise because of its mystical martial arts connotations. Like the pushing and pulling we did when we grabbed lapels, I am shifting my weight into my front leg when I'm resisting his push and transferring it to the back leg when I'm being pulled. Rickson switches directions quickly and tests my response time so that I remember to shift my weight immediately as the need arises. He reminds all of us that this isn't something we can expect to do perfectly, as it requires a feeling for when the weight must shift, but that we can now practice shifting the weight more consciously.

Similarly, he shows us how sprawling to stop a double leg takedown requires the same type of connection. As Rickson sprawls, he walks backward but drives his weight into his opponent so that the attacker's base is disrupted while Rickson's is maintained. His opponent not only bears Rickson's weight, he must do so from a broken and weak posture. Imagine sprawling, not only with the hips, but also with your chest connected to your opponent's back so that you can move your hips out further and circle to the back more easily. The technique itself is useful, but it's more important as another clear example of how Rickson's idea of being connected is about inhibiting the opponent while improving your own ability to move.

We hit the ground for escapes from side control. Not really, though. Once again, the technique is secondary to the illustration of connection. Once again he asks advanced students, purple belts all the way up to black belts (plus one ambitious white belt), to escape from the modified kesa gatame of another black belt. None of them escape until a female purple belt from his association demonstrates the concept Rickson is looking for. Rickson then shows us how grabbing the lapel and connecting through your arm into the opponent's neck creates a fulcrum that allows you to easily move your hips away while also preventing the opponent from maintaining control or following. Rickson emphasizes that the arm that blocks the opponent's neck does not push, it simply connects, and the result is that it becomes a point we can use to move our hips away more easily.

For the next escape, the point of connection is your armpit, as you reach over your opponent's back, toward his belt, and focus your "energy" (there's that horrible word again) into your opponent's shoulder so that you can escape your hips and slide onto your shoulder easily—while also preventing your opponent from flattening you out again. The key here is that the connection point works best against your opponent's resistance because it not only blocks that resistance, it allows you to move more easily away from it. Picture this: your arm is out of position from the bottom of side control. Your opponent is on your right side, with one knee at your hip and the other leg sprawled back. He controls your head and his other arm is over your body, attempting to block your left hip. With your left arm over his back, you reach toward his belt and direct your weight into that connection between your armpit and his shoulder. Your right arm remains loose and straight. You then escape your hips, without bridging (a key point), and hide your right shoulder under you by simply sliding the right arm back. Do not bridge and do not bend your right arm—hiding the shoulder is a subtle shift of the arm so that it is not stretched along the mat, but instead it is pulled under your body. Hiding the shoulder prevents your right arm from blocking you as you try to turn into him to get to your knees or recover guard.
It is nearing the end of the scheduled time, so Rickson gathers us around to go over a submission. Once again he asks various black belts to try to armlock him from the guard, and each time he manages to show a moment in their attack where they are vulnerable to being stacked. Experienced black belts attempt the armbar in various ways, all performed correctly—according to common understanding—yet each is stacked before they can finish the submission. Rickson then shows how to shoot the hips up quickly, without swinging them in either direction, to bite onto the opponent's back uncrossed. The bite of the leg into the back is the connection point for this attack, and it allows Rickson's hips to remain elevated and his core to remain strong and unbendable. The technique appears to be unexploitable. He then bites heavily with one leg so that he can raise his hips further and pivot them so that the other leg can swing tightly over the opponent's head. The movement is so tight and precise that he is able to demonstrate it without the use of his hands—in such a manner that, even without his hands, his opponent cannot retract his arm or defend by stacking. This is eye opening for everyone in attendance, as evidenced by top black belts, including other Gracie family members, excitedly performing the technique on one another until Rickson whistles for attention for the last time.
We line up in front of Rickson and Rorion. Rickson becomes emotional when thanking Rorion and reflecting on his "coming home" to the Gracie Academy. It's an important moment in Gracie family history, and one is left to wonder what a force an already great family could become if all sides of the clan were to similarly reunite.

Immediately after the seminar, I receive a call from one of my heroes—Kid Peligro. "So tell me," he says. "How was it?" His voice is filled an excitement that matches the kind I'm feeling after sharing the mat with someone I had wanted to train with since I first put my name on the five-year waiting list for privates ten years ago. My response: "Kid, it was amazing. It wasn't about techniques, it was about every technique. If someone wonders why a particular technique isn't working for them, this seminar would have helped them find the reason. Rickson tried to put words to a feeling. It was like having Kobe try to explain how to cut to the basket the way he does—except Rickson found the words and the examples to actually describe that type of thing. My expectations were high, yet the experience surpassed them."

None of what I said might be exactly true, but it's all honest. We've always felt frustrated by the way people who've attended a Rickson seminar have responded to questions about it vaguely, but I was able to see why it's almost unanimously the case. Rickson's jiu-jitsu is the result of years of practice, a God-given capacity for understanding it, and enough love of the art to want to share it in the way he experiences it—through feeling not a list of easily imitable instructions.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
DodgingRain

Re: BJJ and Connection

Good stuff, really interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Very cool! Thanks, Josh!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

The article is by Andreh Anderson, a BJJ black belt/instructor in Redondo Beach, CA. He titled the article "Rickson Gracie Seminar: Making the Invisible Visible."

http://jiujitsumania.com/technique/a...sible-visible/
Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Tim Fong

Dojo: Aunkai

A couple of years ago I was training at an mma gym. I was warming up on the sideline with some shiko, and the instructor asked me if i was doing "fire breathing" from yoga. I said no, and mentioned Aunkai.

Later when we talked, he asked about Aunkai and I mentioned some stuff about age te-- looking for the connection, feeling the other person's force enter you etc. And the instructor mentioned that what I was saying was almost exactly what he had heard at a seminar with one of Rickson's black belts just a few weeks previously.

I spend most of my time doing standup striking but I wouldn't mind doing more grappling, either standup or ground. Just have to find the time.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
DH
United_States

I'd have to find where I have it but someone told me about an interview where the women reporter asked Risckson to what he attributed his fighting ability and he said BJJ and Vale tudo and when asked where he got his power he said Taiji and yoga.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Cady Goldfield
United_States

"...When you watch top BJJ fighters in both BJJ competiitons and NHB matches, what strikes you is not only the control they have over their opponents but also the absolute control they have of their own ground movement patterns.
"Some of these solo movements are based on BJJ techniques, others on Bioginastica, created by Orlando Cani, which fuses BJJ movements with Yoga, Tai Chi and animal-movement patterns. The foremost fighter of the Gracie clan, Rickson Gracie, studied this with Orlando Cani, and so have many top BJJ exponents."

-- Hans-Erik Petermann
Jiu Jitsu: The Essential Guide to Mastering the Art
Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Cady Goldfield
United_States

On this old thread on Tim's shenwu discussion board, there's an interesting interview with Orlando Cani that was posted. It's about 12 posts down. It includes mentions of Rickson Gracie as Cani's student.

http://www.shenwu.com/discus/message...tml?1153051927
Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Josh Lerner

United_States

Guys - thanks for the additional information.

Josh
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Good discussion! enjoying it! Thanks!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
mathewjgano

United_States

Not entirely sure how this relates other than appearing to be a very holistic approach, and I apologize if it doesn't, but I found this to be pretty cool.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
DH
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Not entirely sure how this relates other than appearing to be a very holistic approach, and I apologize if it doesn't, but I found this to be pretty cool.
A More complete version here
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
A More complete version here
Thanks, Dan! I love this guy! He seems to exemplify the essence of what I like about budo practice. A lot of those movements, while obviously done with a far superior understanding (in more than a few ways I'm sure), are very similar to my own solo workouts. It's inspiring to see what dedicated practice looks like instead of my own hap-hazard BS.
All the stuff he's talking about are the things that attracted and presently keep me looking to Aikido. I'm thinking, "he's describing various aspects of misogi," and then as if to punctuate this, he goes and jumps in an icy river. Love it.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
DH
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Thanks, Dan! I love this guy! He seems to exemplify the essence of what I like about budo practice. A lot of those movements, while obviously done with a far superior understanding (in more than a few ways I'm sure), are very similar to my own solo workouts. It's inspiring to see what dedicated practice looks like instead of my own hap-hazard BS.
All the stuff he's talking about are the things that attracted and presently keep me looking to Aikido. I'm thinking, "he's describing various aspects of misogi," and then as if to punctuate this, he goes and jumps in an icy river. Love it.
Take care,
Matt
Hi Mat
I'm not going to get into, but you can line up three people and have them all do -what looks like the same movement- and they are not all doing the same thing. I have had people touch me and they feel instant kuzushi and they do not understand how and why it is happening. Just for starters I can talk about intent, and "when one thing moves, everything moves" till the cows come home here, yet from my experiences I haven't met anyone in the art of Aikido who can do that to any serious level. I see some shihan trying. So I am really not inclined to debate how just that will change someones quality of movement in a way that cannot be seen. Now we can add in what you are moving and how and what is connected, but most everyone is going to feel just like your average athletic gym member doing martial arts.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Hi Mat
I'm not going to get into, but you can line up three people and have them all do -what looks like the same movement- and they are not all doing the same thing. I have had people touch me and they feel instant kuzushi and they do not understand how and why it is happening. Just for starters I can talk about intent, and "when one thing moves, everything moves" till the cows come home here, yet from my experiences I haven't met anyone in the art of Aikido who can do that to any serious level. I see some shihan trying. So I am really not inclined to debate how just that will change someones quality of movement in a way that cannot be seen. Now we can add in what you are moving and how and what is connected, but most everyone is going to feel just like your average athletic gym member doing martial arts.
Dan
Are you saying that intent and "when one thing moves, everything moves" imply each other, or that they are two separate but mutually supportive skills? I guess I am confused what you mean by "change someones quality of movement in a way that cannot be seen", but shouldn't the whole body movement part be noticeable to the observer? Do you feel what Rickson Gracie is doing there is useful for building one, the other, both, neither, or it depends?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Hi Mat
Dan
Absolutely agree. I hope I didn't appear to suggest I was engaging the same method of movement; just that the movements were externally very familiar. It made for an interesting contrast to my own practice, which has been spotty at best for about a decade.
I was trying to comment on what I can actually address, which was the observation of what seems like a holistic approach to life/training and how Rickson exemplifies a lot of what I like about budo.
Bit off-topic I suppose, but that was my impression on the video.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Me wrote:
Absolutely agree.
Just to be more clear, this is the part I was actively agreeing with:
Quote:
Dan wrote:
you can line up three people and have them all do -what looks like the same movement- and they are not all doing the same thing.
Of course I have very little (if anything worth mentioning) idea of how you might move. I have even less idea of how Rickson might move.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Matthew,

If you haven't seen Choke, you should check it out.

However, I don't know how easy it is to find these days.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Matthew,

If you haven't seen Choke, you should check it out.

However, I don't know how easy it is to find these days.
Very easy.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
mathewjgano

United_States

I just realized there is more than one movie called "choke." I've been racking my brain on how this relates to Chuck Palahniuk's movie...entirely different subject matters, lol!

Quote:
Very easy.
Does it rhyme with too-yoob?

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
DH
United_States

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Are you saying that intent and "when one thing moves, everything moves" imply each other, or that they are two separate but mutually supportive skills? I guess I am confused what you mean by "change someones quality of movement in a way that cannot be seen", but shouldn't the whole body movement part be noticeable to the observer? Do you feel what Rickson Gracie is doing there is useful for building one, the other, both, neither, or it depends?
Less
I responded in the internal strength in sparring thread.