Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
aikidodragongio

Dojo: Shinbeikan
Evil Eyes Bun Bu Ichi

I know that I leave myself open to a lot of scrutiny, but it was something I thought about while in a bar the other day

Bun bu ichi (ぶんぶ-) Pen and Sword in Accord:

This expression is known throughout the Martial Arts world, but is now seldom used or heard. It comes from a time when Samurai had to know, not only, the sword but also the etiquette of the pen. However, what does it mean now? I, myself, found it puzzling as I remembered it this day. It had been a long time since I had heard it, much less thought about it. So, what does it mean?

Simply put, in my opinion, it's the balance of knowledge, not only of the arts but also of that which is forgotten these days, the art of being a gentleman. Knowing how to fight is worthless if you don't know when to fight. Common sense dictates that if you weight 140 lbs. you're not going to pick a fight with a 300-pound sumo wrestler. However, there are those who believe that because they "study" the arts they have the right to be hotheads. This is not so. Even though I got this quote from a comic book, it still holds true, "With great power comes great responsibility"

The other key we are leaving out is that not all battles are fought the same way. Some, by nature, end before they begin, why? It is due to bun bu ichi. The warrior with a quick wit and a quick tongue can finish it all before it begins. In this way you can injure your enemy worse than cutting him down and at the same time make yourself virtuous and victorious. Let me explain:

When we train in the dojo we concentrate on forms, technique and balance. However, how often do we discuss the art of war without war? On occasion I've heard discussions with Sensei and sempai about fights and all, but rarely on how to avoid them. My first teacher implemented this throughout the whole class. History tends to repeat itself and I now find that those few I teach are learning to avoid confrontations because of what they have learned. No one wants to find themselves doing time over a bar tab, much less over the stepping of a shoe. Therefore, we should remember that because our techniques are lethal we should also train to exercise caution with our own tempers.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
mj
I can't see anything wrong with that.