Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
aiki-jujutsuka

be thankful for wisdom

Something very tragic happened over the weekend in my local area. One of the students at the school I work at was stabbed to death at a house party. He was only 17. Apparently it was advertised via social media and there were many gate crashers. An argument broke out over alcohol and he eventually was bottled and then stabbed. I am unsure whether it was with the broken bottle or with a knife. Over the last three weeks or so I have been training quite intensely in knife defence for my next grading. This incident made me reflect and be thankful for the wisdom that I have gained from my training.

As a teenager I went to several house parties but they were always quite affairs by comparison, no gate crashers just friends. I don't drink either (straight edge) so I had the advantage of being sober. But as I thought about this poor lad who was fatally wounded all because of an alcohol induced argument and the foolishness of it all, it really makes me appreciate the wisdom that I have learnt from the martial arts. If only more young people were aware of the dangers and had the wisdom to avoid such situations.

I'm sure there are many other examples of this kind of tragedy but just be thankful for the principles and wisdom that we have learnt from our arts and teachers. It really is true that budo is the art of peace - to have the knowledge of the consequences of our actions and know how to prevent violence and death wherever possible.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: be thankful for wisdom

Your story is very sad. The wisdom you speak of is lacking from most youth nowadays. IMO, it all comes back to the parents and the relationship they choose to have with their children from a very young age.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
lbb
United_States
Re: be thankful for wisdom

I don't think that young people today are more foolish about alcohol than they were in the past. They may have readier access to things that don't mix well with alcohol, such as motor vehicles and absurd misconceptions about self-respect (not so sure about that latter) -- and yes, perhaps the power of social media to spread bad ideas. But the majority of young people have always lacked a sense of their own fragility, as well as good judgment. There's a backcountry saying, "Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment." Any hiker knows that while you can learn some things by rote, you really learn how to prevent blisters by getting a few, or how to guard hypothermia by making a bad clothing choice and getting chilled. That's human nature. It's to be expected that young people will lack good judgment because of their lack of experience, but in a world where most people are insulated from certain consequences by the convenient car, the heated house, the police presence, there are many adults with a similar lack.

It sounds callous, but the young people who witnessed the incident Ewen described now have several different kinds of experience. It remains to be seen if that will translate into good judgment, but I'd expect they'd do about as well as young people ever have (meaning, quite a few will now get it).