Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Millerwc
Dojo: SC Seidokan Aikido
United_States
Bujin Hakamas

Hello all,

I am testing for the rank at which we're expected to begin wearing a hakama within the next month, and fortutiously my birthday is just a couple days after my test, so my parents have offered to get me a hakama. Most people have recommended Bujin designs, but I was wondering people's opinions about them, especially about their different aiki-koshita style hakamas, does anyone have any experience with them? Also, any other general advice about buying a hakama would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Bujin Hakamas

Tozando.com - a little costly with S & H, but excellent quality.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

I have the traditional and aiki-style koshida. Personally I prefer the aiki-style, but that's just my preference. Both hakamas have held up very well. As for are sizing, I followed bujin's recommendatons and have had no issues.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Tozando.com - a little costly with S & H, but excellent quality.
I second Tozando. THE BEST hakama for Aikido training. Get their basic tetron hamaka and it will last you for years and years. The koshita is made with a flexible rubber insert, so while it looks traditional, it's comfortable and safe. Bujin makes good hakama too, but I find their hime (straps) too long for how I tie a hakama, and I just can't stand the look of the modern aiki koshita, but that's just me. A lot of folks love them.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
ChrisMoses
United_States

Ooh, lookie what's on sale... Clicky

Chris Moses
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Mike James
Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

I have two hakama from Bu Jin. Both are the medium blend material (cotton/polyester). I wear my first one for daily training and my newer one for seminars and special events (or when my daily one is being cleaned). My daily one has just started showing a bit of wear in the knees and straps after 2-1/2 years. Many of my dojo mates have them too and seem to like them. I haven't heard anyone say any negative things, and when students are about to promote to dan grade and ask where they should get a hakama, Bu Jin is recommend by the rest of the yudansha.

masakatsu agatsu
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I have worn Bujin hakamas for years. They are durable and fit nicely. I prefer the aiki-koshita-the regular seems to poke me or irritate my low back. Others prefer the regular-I find the aiki koshita more to my liking.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I've got one hakama, it's from Bujin, and I like it.

Quote:
Get their basic tetron hamaka and it will last you ...
Did you say Yamaka, Hamaka, or Hakama??

Best,
Ron (Mazaltoff...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Did you say Yamaka, Hamaka, or Hakama??

Best,
Ron (Mazaltoff...)
hamanahamana... My keyboard-fu is weak today...

Chris Moses
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Gerardo Torres
United_States

I third Tozando hakama.

Their 100 % polyester hakama is the best hakama for aikido that I have ever tried, including various Bu Jin, Iwata, e-bogu, etc. Unlike those other brands, after two years wearing the Tozando it shows no signs of wear & tear whatsoever.

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/sk_ah500.htm
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Keith R Lee
United_States

I *had* a Tozando hakama and it was the best I ever owned. Then I went and left in California or Oregon while at a seminar.

Keith Lee
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

I have been wearing a bujin hakama (the heavy quality with aiki koshita) for about half a year now. It is quite costly to get them over to Europe due to import tax, but I would (and certainly will) do it again any time as I found that it was money very well invested. I loooove my hakama :-)

Plus, it seems to be self-folding ;-) No, seriously, all the other hakama I had before that were much more difficult to fold.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #13
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I have had both and have worn bujin hakama every night for eight years. I do not understand the reason for going with anyone but bujin. Just because they offer the aiki koshita does not mean you have to get one and therefore has no bearing on the quality of their materials or their craftsmanship. They will repair your knees, stitch your pleats, and make your straps any length you desire. I am not just schilling here. There is really no reason to order a hakama from Japan.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
Edward
Thailand

Another vote for Tozando.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Keith Lee wrote: View Post
I *had* a Tozando hakama and it was the best I ever owned. Then I went and left in California or Oregon while at a seminar.
That sucks. I also lost a good hakama during a seminar. I am not a fan of embroidered names on training gear, but maybe it's not such a bad idea - it would make such personal items more prone to being returned if lost. Tozando can embroider names in katakana (at about $2 - $4 per letter) on hakama, maybe I'll go for it on my next one:

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em11.htm
http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em10.htm
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Gerardo Torres wrote: View Post
That sucks. I also lost a good hakama during a seminar. I am not a fan of embroidered names on training gear, but maybe it's not such a bad idea - it would make such personal items more prone to being returned if lost. Tozando can embroider names in katakana (at about $2 - $4 per letter) on hakama, maybe I'll go for it on my next one:

http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em11.htm
http://www.tozandoshop.com/product_p/em10.htm
But if you are afraid of losing it in America, why would you choose katakana instead of English?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
But if you are afraid of losing it in America, why would you choose katakana instead of English?
Because names in katakana look cool on hakama?
Like I said, I'm not a fan of embroidery, patches, etc., on gi or hakama. I would probably request just for my initials on the inside of the koshiita.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Funny how people vary in their likes/dis-likes so much.
Bu-Jin rocks....tetron sucks.

Unless, of course, you like Tetron and don't like the fine fitting, sleek hanging, self-folding (gotta get me one of those) beauties from Bujin.

To each his own...try both, it will be obvious to you in a bit which you like better (borrow from another student)
Best
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #19
Janet Rosen

I love my tetron hak from mugendo budogju. It holds up well, the pleats never go away.
And thanks to my retained language ability and Qatana's embroidery, I was able to balance "my name in kanji" on the right hip with "my name in Yiddish" on the left hip. Talk about customization!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #20
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
and I just can't stand the look of the modern aiki koshita, but that's just me. A lot of folks love them.
That would be....me!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #21
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lan Powers wrote: View Post
Funny how people vary in their likes/dis-likes so much.
Bu-Jin rocks....tetron sucks.

Unless, of course, you like Tetron and don't like the fine fitting, sleek hanging, self-folding (gotta get me one of those) beauties from Bujin.

To each his own...try both, it will be obvious to you in a bit which you like better (borrow from another student)
Best
Lan
I use to feel the same way, but Bujin does not use the same materials as they did before. I got a twill hakama and noticed that the material did not feel nor fold the same. I called and asked them about it and they told me that they are now using a different supplier. They had a good reason, but it's not the same hakama. Tozando is a better quality, and folding the hakama is not hard, once you've done it many time over.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #22
Jeffrey A. Fong
Dojo: Aikido Tacoma
United_States

I agree with Nafis Zahir. I have two hakama and purchased another for a friend. The first two cotton were heavy and first quality. The second was a lighter material and just not the same. I sent it back and discussed this with Ginger Ikeda, but to no avail. They swore the material was the same, but... Trivial? Maybe, but disapointing.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I am a fairly big guy, around 6'-1" and 215 lbs. I purchased an Iaido gi and hakama from Tozando. I found that the straps on the hakama where a few inches shorter than would be optimal. I can barely get an actual knot with the front straps. The gi for Iaido that they sell don't come in sizes above a 4 either, so I was guessing this is just because Tozando Iaido department doesn't market to bigger people.

I have bought aikido gis from Tozando and am very happy with them, so they obviously sell those in larger sizes. I am considering buying a new aikido hakama in the near future and was afraid of purchasing from Tozando due to the short straps issue. I have also looked at Bujin and Daimyo Outfitters. Although, I am straying away from Bujin after this thread a bit.

Does the short straps issue only exist on the Iaido hakama, or have people had this issue on the Aikido hakama as well? Any other places that people feel are worth purchasing a new hakama from?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Janet Rosen

You might talk to Peter Boylan at http://www.budogu.com/ I"m sure he'd be happy to check the length on the ties of the haks he sells.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #25
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote: View Post
I have bought aikido gis from Tozando and am very happy with them, so they obviously sell those in larger sizes. I am considering buying a new aikido hakama in the near future and was afraid of purchasing from Tozando due to the short straps issue. I have also looked at Bujin and Daimyo Outfitters. Although, I am straying away from Bujin after this thread a bit.

Does the short straps issue only exist on the Iaido hakama, or have people had this issue on the Aikido hakama as well? Any other places that people feel are worth purchasing a new hakama from?

Thanks,
Matt
Ever since I became a yudansha in 1978, I have used hakama made by Iwata. Before I came to Japan these were ordered by the dojo from Japan. The names were always correctly written on the back. When I bought my last hakama, I visited the shop in Okubo, Tokyo and met everyone. You can have your hakama built to order, so to speak, with the straps as long as you like (in my case both knots are in front, around the seika tanden, below the Fujita-style wrap-around obi).

P A Goldsbury