Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
tuturuhan
United_States
3 Sectional, Fans and Single Stick

Weapons multiply:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5hYhXHeIo

Best,
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: 3 Sectional, Fans and Single Stick

Annette, (Response to Sparks Women regarding "Triple Sticks, Fan, and Single Stick")

All good questions…

1. The first thing that you must recognize is that instead of "sparring" in a straight line they are "using footwork" to walk in circles.

2. Instead of being in a "line of fire" the idea is to flank the opponent and thus to counter attack to the side and behind him. Think of a railroad train coming at you. You get off the track and shoot him as he goes by you.

3. The fan is used in many different ways. The deception comes from hiding the strike behind the fan. More importantly, the "ribs" of the Fan are made of steel. The cloth hides the fact that the ribs are really "knifes".

4. The triple stick can also be called the 3 sectional staff. In this video we are using only the two sticks "as lead" for the woman student to "counter attack". The idea was to "show" the FANS as the main weapon.

5. In other videos the "triple sticks" become the "star" or weapon of emphasis. In those videos, the weapon can become a) a flexible weapon like a chain or a nunchuku. b) the connections to each stick and to the center stick can also be used to "trap and joint lock". The "elbows" of the 3 sectional became "visegrips" that can lock and trap. It is a weapon that is truly deadly with its versitility. (Again, in this video we were not showing its versitility.)

6. Take a knife out of your kitchen. Cover it with a napkin. Take the hidden knife and stab it through cardboard. (Please try this.) When you have done so you will understand the power of the fans, that hide the knifes. Also, you will begin to understand how dangerous it was for the people in the video.

LASTLY, the people in the video have been with me for a few years.

Best,
Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
tuturuhan
United_States

So why use these archiac weapons?

When I first read the book of five rings I was 15 years old. Did I understand it? No. Do I understand it now? No.

But, I have an inkling.

When I first read the book my experience was limited to karate and judo. Though, a martial artist, I could not relate to Mushashi's grasp of weapons. Certainly, I could not understand the "utility" of the weapons. Nor could I understand the "life and death" concept that the practice of weapons instills in one's very life.

Experience, capacity and capability have given me insights that I could not have achieved as a 15 year old. As a man in his fifties, I am now just beginning to understand. Sadly, with age and mortality there is little time to apply Mushashi's practice. As such, I will read the book of 5 rings again...with greater vigor.

So, I practice my weapons with zest knowing that I am confronting my fears, my insecurities, my mortality. With just the slighted of misses...the blade cuts.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Great Post Tuturuhan
Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Great Post Tuturuhan
Hey MTL, Chris,

Any predictions about the stock market? Oil jumped to over 140. So, I guess it was the seminar or the gas money. I'm glad you chose wisely.

Best,
Joe

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
Hey MTL, Chris,

Any predictions about the stock market? Oil jumped to over 140. So, I guess it was the seminar or the gas money. I'm glad you chose wisely.

Best,
Joe
I am about to post my annual "Next Week's News" (June 15).
It will be the most important one I have ever posted. It will cover my predictions for the next two years as well as a prophecy.

Of greatest significance right now is to become as clear as you can regarding your life mission and to "sense" or seek out those who you are being drawn to like a magnet. Make sure you know exactly where you should be as far as physical location. This needs to be done by end of June. There is no more time for BS or wasted diversions.

I will put you on the e-mail list.