Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #51
Keith R Lee
United_States
Re: best aikido you have seen

Ando sensei.

Keith Lee
Old 10-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #52
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I have a fairly limited frame of reference, but my sensei, Koichi Barrish can be quite amazing. I really like Saotome-sensei's movements too, but I haven't seen him in person.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #53
Adam Huss

United_States

Hey, you woudn't be reffering to Hiroshi Nakano Sensei?

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #54
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
I have seen many Aikido teachers - the best for me was Terry Ezra (UK) becuase he would really try to show you how to do what he could do (not that I could). Others just show you what they can do.

Other greats I have seen were Master Sken of Muay Thai, Mr. So of Bagua (Tokyo), Dan Innosanto (Escrima), and two or three amazing Silat teachers - incredible men. One of the most fascinating martial arts I have seen - several times - is Indian Kalari (takes you back to the past - lineage means nothing as it comes right up to the present; it shows that youngsters can be real masters of a battlefield art).
I'd have to agree that both Ezra Sensei and Master Sken are amazing, however the absolute best I have seen would have to be from Yoko Okamoto Sensei at one of the seminars she did over here.

Power, grace and spirit. Absolutely amazing.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #55
PeterKang
Dojo: YMCA aikido club KL
Malaysia

The best aikido which I have seen live is from Tada Hiroshi shihan. Still so vigorous and powerful in his advanced age.

My favorite aikido to watch is that of Christian Tissier shihan (IAF 2004)

The best feel I had from taking ukemi was equally with Horii Etsuji shihan and Endo Seishiro shihan ( for different reasons.)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:23 AM   #56
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Which aikido instructor most exemplifies the principles and philosophy of aikido - both on the mat and in their life? Who is respected and loved, not just for their technique but how they treat their students?

This was the criteria I used to choose my affiliation, after traveling around the country and seeing various people. My answer: William Smith Shihan.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #57
Charles Cunningham
Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai, Iowa City, IA
United_States

The best aikidoists I've seen:

Don Angier--soft, subtle, and effective. 25 years later, I'm still trying to figure out some of the techniques he demonstrated.

Gozo Shioda--incredibly powerful aikido.

Clyde Takeguchi--small movements with subtle weight shifts

Mits Yamashita--probably the most martially effective aikido I've ever seen.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 AM   #58
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hey Charles! Good to read you!

Had a wonderfull time training with you...I didn't know you had such a varied background! There's another thread where I mentioned Yamashita Sensei, and someone asked about his rank. You don't know his current rank, do you?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #59
dyffcult
United_States

Those that I have taken ukemi from...and trained with, regardless of rank who create beautiful and powerful aikido:

Morihro Saito, amazing power, talent, and technique, and a true desire to instruct all people, including me. Also, a very gentle soul. The man taught me a great deal.

Hitohiro Saito, amazing power, talent, and technique, and a great desire to instruct the novice. Also a very compassionate soul. The man taught me more than he will ever know.

Patrick Cassidy, amazing power, talent, and technique, and a gentle sense of the art. Patrick has the most amazing energy I have ever met. And has inspired me throughout my life just by my memories of his very being.

Miles Kessler, amazing power, talent, great technique, and more patience than I have ever seen in an instructor for anything anywhere. This man could teach a stone to sing if he so desired. Miles has a gentle soul but incredible power. A force of nature incarnate. And one of my favorite teachers.

Pat Hendricks, amazing power, talent, and technique, and just an amazing power. Wow! Pat is quite possibly the largest force of nature I have ever encountered. She inspires me to be all that any woman can be....any person can be.

These are my teachers, and I honor them.

There are a number of other aikidokas whom I admire from their posts on this board, and I hope to train with them someday. This includes multiple degree blackbelts to 6th kyu beginners.

Brenda
Old 10-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #60
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi,

IMHO, the best aikido must be felt (i.e. having personally been thrown/locked) rather than seen. By sight, a 6th kyu's aikido and a 6th dan's aikido are on opposite ends of a scale. By feel (soft, subtle and leave you wondering how you ended up airborne or on the mat), they should also be on opposite ends of a scale.

IMO, good aikido equals soft, subtle and effective - minimum effort with precise kuzushi. Power comes from the heart, regulated by the mind, absolute control over ones ego and emotion. To feel good aikido, one has to take honest ukemi - no choreographed moves and no charity fall. One just does not have the will and ability to counter - no opening to do so in the first place.

At the last 9th IAF in Tokyo, I resolved myself to take ukemi from senior shihan. At the opportunity, I would make a beeline to the shihan sitting at the edge of the mat. I was granted the opportunities to feel the "magics" of Tada, Tamura, Isoyama and Nakao shihans and had my techniques jammed by them. Those were great learning experiences, absolutely out of the scale and humbling ones too.

Best training

David Y
Old 10-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #61
Mats Alritzson
Dojo: Malmö Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Miles Kessler, he taught me the concept of ukemi and that it's more to it than taking a fall. Very good bukiwaza.

And I would like to add Lewis de Quiros. I hope the seminar this weekend in Copenhagen is going to be as good as last year.

There's others. But if I start to mention one of them I have to mention them all.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #62
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Wink Re: best aikido you have seen

HITOHIRO(THE H-BOMB) SAITO SENSEI.
Easily the best teacher ive ever had or seen by far (apart from his father of course)
You can see in his classes how much passion he has for teaching and love for new students, He has really learnt a great teaching method from his father. My last stays in Iwama where the best time in my life, apart from the lack of sex in my life at the time but thats uchideshi for ya. His weapons are now second to none and his memory of Osensie and his teaching is still huge. His body form is so identical to that of the founders, when you see Osensei standing in hanmi holding bokken and then see H the 2 look so alike in posture.

2ND would have to be DANIEL TOUTAIN SENSIE, head of Iwama France. His expericance and history in Aikido is huge, trains and teaches exactley to Hitohiros way, a carbon copy, plus with his long history of training in the aikikai makes him a very good alrounder in aikido, not only is his kinonage very fluid but its now also solid. his uchideshi system is fantastic. and his weapons are 2nd only to the H bomb.

Patrick Cassidy for stopping my mind from being to closed
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #63
Kutisake
Dojo: iwama riu-Ivanovo
Russian Federation

The best aikido that I have seen by my own eyes was demonstrated by my aikido teacher Botov.S.M. This videos u can see on iwamaivanovo.ru
Old 10-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #64
Charles Cunningham
Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai, Iowa City, IA
United_States

Ron--

Mits Yamashita was promoted to 6th dan sometime in the past couple of years.

Charles
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #65
Darren
United Kingdom

Andy Squires sensei always amazes me with what he does.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 AM   #66
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

i have seen some great aikido from
usihiba,gozo,sensei joe

but the best as of today was
the 50 years of yoshinkan aikido,
mori sensei's demonstration on that night was unbeleivable.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #67
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines

Nishio Sensei, Tada Sensei, the current Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba.

I think they are the best that I've seen although I've only seen them in videos.

and of course, O' Sensei!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 AM   #68
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I'd agree with Mr Smith as someone who is loved as well as respected, I'd also say that Shihan's Terry Bayliss and Ken Cottier are the same.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #69
Ali B
United Kingdom

Well, I have been lucky enough to practice with some fantastic teachers, including Tissier but I would have to say Endo Sensei. I went to his seminar in Granada, Spain 2 years running, it was an experience I won't forget. I would love to be able to go this year. I cant explain what made him stand out but its something wonderful - there just are no words. I was dreaming about it for weeks after, as were others I went with?

Love and light
Ali
Old 11-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #70
ccain85
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
Ai symbol Re: best aikido you have seen

i am goin to go with Saotome sensei or Ikeda sensei. both of these guys totally amaze me. but i am also found of Kevin Choate sensei's aikido for some reason.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #71
ccain85
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
Freaky! Re: best aikido you have seen

aww, come on, lets not let this thread stop people
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #72
Fabian Junker
Germany

Hi,

in responce to the previous posting, I decided to try to revive this thread. Maybe - most certainly - many people have made knew experiences in the meantime.

Personally, the best I have seen and felt is Nomura Sensei from Osaka. Our dojo is lucky enough to be friends with one of his students, Matsu Enemoto. Nomura Sensei visited us last year together with Matsu, he is simply AWESOME! So much patience, so much power, so much precision, and what a friendly and humble person. Hope to be able to train with him again in the future.

On video, of course Shioda, but also Nishio - the man must have been absolutely outstanding - and Ikeda and Saotome Senseis. Also, Steven Seagal and two of his former students, Matsuoka Sensei and Reynosa Sensei.

Regards,
FJ
Old 03-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #73
Fabian Junker
Germany

UUPS, almost forgot to add Yamaguchi Sensei, the little footage I have seen looks...umm...amazing.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #74
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Well, of course I give props to Imaizumi Sensei, who can do aikido in many different ways depending on his uke.

I also love seing Saito Sensei's aikido on film, and Pat Hendricks.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #75
James Kelly
Dojo: Glendale Aikikai
United Nations

Terry Dobson